Running squeezebox off fritzbox

I imagine this has been discussed in detail somewhere on the forum; please direct me to the relevant thread if so!

I'm wondering if it is possible to run squeezebox media server on my Fritzbox 7270 (http://fritzbox.com.au/product-fritz-wlan7270.html). Or is their a similar solution easily (cheaply) available to me?

Currently I have an old laptop running the software but it is in desperate need of retirement. I have a squeezebox classic in one room and a duet in the other. Really happy with the setup but would prefer to kiss goodbye to the spare laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, that's consistent with the information I've been able to gather so far. Thanks.

Currently thinking I will go with a NAS. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to attach an external optical drive and rip CDs (preferably in FLAC format) directly to the NAS? 

So I'm as locked into LMS as I'm locked into squeezeboxes then. I can deal with that.

Which I can see is not really what you were getting at, but I don't really see the squeezeboxes as a LONG-term plan and the NAS will be really useful anyway.

Edited by jezzaboogie

You guys run your squeezeboxes without LMS?

I do and always have. I've run SB Touches and Classics in multiple rooms

Instead of choosing Logitech Media Server as the playback library, you choose your other location. I have a HTPC on full time which uses Foobar as a server to all my devices. I then control this using a Samsung Tab running Bubble Upnp. No harder than the standard Squeezebox setup.

I found that the Squeezbox library updated too slow and would constantly drop out. Same with Plex both ran straight from the NAS drive. I found more success using the inbuilt server on the NAS drive (Netgear ReadyNAS duo). Foobar updates instantly and uses the NAS drive as its source, same with the inbuilt server. LMS required a refresh time and date.

YMMV but ive always found LMS more of a paint in the arse then any help

Can you expand on this? Do you mean during the setup of each device (squeezebox)?

Yep exactly. Its been awhile now so i might be a bit off but on the Classic, scroll down from Now Playing to Library. IN there you should see, mysqueezebox.com / Logitech Media Server / NAS DRIVE.

Select NAS drive. 

End of the day though, it shouldn't matter, you're just using the squeezebox as a renderer, it should do as commanded by any DLNA server.

So your pointing the squeezebox to the NAS and using Foobar as a server on a different machine? Can you talk me through the Foobar setup? Does the Foobar "server" (I don't know what that is) have to be up and running before pointing the squeezebox to the NAS? I use Foobar at work but don't know what you mean about using it as a server. Is this (http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp) part of what you are talking about?

Yep, that's the server component for foobar. It doesnt really help your cause as you want to run a server without having a computer on.

My understanding (and Im sure someone will correct me) is that streaming needs the following

Source - This is where the music is kept, it coudl be a NAS drive, USB drive or computer

Server - This 'serves' up the source to the renderer. Different servers can have different functions. This could be the quality of the album art, the recoding to PCM, the ability to serve gapless playback etc. Every server has its own benefits 

Renderer - This 'renders' the source from the server. This could be any DLNA enabled device, Squeezboxes, other computers, iphones, the newer amps with built in streaming, AVRs, any network music streamer.

Controller - This is what you use to direct the 'server' to the 'renderer' it could be Logitechs propriety software running from an iPhone or it could be Bubble UpNp running from android, Plex controller controlling a Plex server, PlugPlayer on iPhone. There are so many of these, and again each has its own benefits or downfalls.

I have about 10 different renderers active in my house at any one time, TVs, AVRs, Xboxs. I also have about 6 servers operating at anyone time (NAS Media server, Foobar, Windows Media Player, local iphone device etc)

Using a controller of your choice, you pick the server, then pick the renderer and then your done. If your network is setup correctly it should stream anything from any source to any device on your network. You dont have to be tied into the logitech system. I will say that squeezeboxes as renderers are the best ive ever played with. squeezebox server on the other hand is the worst.

I'm not familiar with the synology NAS drive and whether it has anything inbuilt. but i reckon even Plex works better than LMS which is able to be installed on a NAS Drive

• Like 3