CD Transport Search

HI all.

From the Asian market ,does anyone have any opinion on the Chinese CD Transports?

Shanling CD 3.2-,   Lite Audio CD22,  From Japan-Towa Qlasonic Nano CD-1, Also Onkyo CD-7030

Cheers.

I've had a Lite Audio CD transport for a while now.  Decky also has one.  I bought it because I like top loaders and the reports on the Audio-GD transport (the other unit I was considering) suggested the tray was flimsy and not of good quality.

It will communicate with a DAC in a variety of ways including I2S, which not a lot of transports will do.  The only problem I've had with it is that there is a small amount of hum from the transformer.  Decky bought his a few months after me and his doesn't have this problem, so they obviously fixed whatever the problem was.

There a aren't a lot of stand-alone CDTs around any more and I believe the CD22 can be had for $800 or less.

• Like 1

Bronal. Thanks for replying, have heard some good reports on the Lite Audio, after all can't really ignore them, they look like good units, I wonder on all the prestige units how many of the components are sourced from China?

Shanling do a similar one to the Lite Audio-http://www.shanling.com/en/product-detail-159.html, but I only really need transport only as already have a decent Dac-well hopefully anyway-bit old now.

Was considering getting an old platter transport-Pioneer/Teac, but surely technology has advanced that a current units would outclass these. 

I am probably trying to do it on the cheap. One member suggested the Marantz CD94, seem very rare.

Cheers

I think there are 3 IMHO very credible transports for CD (excluding vintage designs). 

1. CD Pro2 based ones - that's the one used in the Bel Canto CD2 and Ayon CD5S and a number of well regarded CDPs

2. CEC belt driven transports

3. Stream Unlimited's slot drive used in Wadia/Bel Canto CD3t/Meitner Audio MA2 and I believe the new Spectral CDP, though not a lot of people like slot drives.

Wat about this one.....?

I2s - with clock in, AES/EBU, SPDIF

Top loader, supposedly made by Stream Unlimited?

Power supply upgradable to linear type with the project power box

Doggie you selling?

PJ-BD-CDBoxRS-black.png

PJ-BD-CDBoxRS-back%20-%20Copy.png

Edited by jeromelang
  • Like 1

I have a Teac P 700 transport with the VDRS mechanism for sale $550. Made in Japan. It bettered the CEC I used to have. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers Steve.

Edited by Conrad

Guest palexsia

Buy the Teac P700 ,this is still a very good transport with all the gear if i'm remember correct are made by aluminum not plastic like other modern china made . And if you can find the England made Woodside valve dac you will have a very good match sound equal with other expensive top end cd / transport player today . I had them for years and did comparison them with other i owned such as Meridian 806 , musical fidelity a5 none are better . I only sold them when i bought the Marantz sa-7s1 other wise i still keep them .

I've had a Lite Audio CD transport for a while now.  Decky also has one.  I bought it because I like top loaders and the reports on the Audio-GD transport (the other unit I was considering) suggested the tray was flimsy and not of good quality.

It will communicate with a DAC in a variety of ways including I2S, which not a lot of transports will do.  The only problem I've had with it is that there is a small amount of hum from the transformer.  Decky bought his a few months after me and his doesn't have this problem, so they obviously fixed whatever the problem was.

There a aren't a lot of stand-alone CDTs around any more and I believe the CD22 can be had for $800 or less.

I also have a Lite Audio LT-1. I couple this with their DAC 83 to great effect.

The Lite is a very well built transport with the donor mechanism being generally available and cheap. I've bought 4 of the core mechanisms as spares to keep it all going for as long as I can (or I care to buy CDs).

I currently use the I2S protocol to connect to the DAC, using certified CAT6 cabling. I'm tempted to try an Audioquest ethernet cable in case it offers improvement.

The Teac/VRDS transports are also very good.

You might look into this a bit more, if you want to buy used. Several CD players of the past have great transports (Sony, Marantz, Pioneer et al.) and could provide an inexpensive but high quality solution. The only issue may be that the connections offered are limited to SPDIF and AES/EBU, or perhaps Toslink (which I never got along with). Speaking of which, I have kept both my Cambridge Audio CD3 players (with spare lasers) for that very reason.

Edited by jusbe

Great responses, thanks all for your time, I do have that thought of going down the older Marantz Pioneer road Justin suggests, bit of fun that way as well.

Jerome, yes have the Project on the list, have found a few on Ebay-also the next model up and some good reviews.

What outputs are on the rear of P700? I'll do a check on Google images.

Steve, will consider your Teac, I'm waiting on a Philips CD950 to arrive-to have something to listen to at least. This will replace the old Micromega Logic-has been a great player.

Kab-Think I'll go down the older transport road first and see how it turns out, if not happy will go for a CEC-Project? Bel Canto,

Thanks again.

• Volunteer

Buy the Teac P700 ,this is still a very good transport with all the gear if i'm remember correct are made by aluminum not plastic like other modern china made . And if you can find the England made Woodside valve dac you will have a very good match sound equal with other expensive top end cd / transport player today . I had them for years and did comparison them with other i owned such as Meridian 806 , musical fidelity a5 none are better . I only sold them when i bought the Marantz sa-7s1 other wise i still keep them .

Colin Whatmough used to swear by that combination !