Wine storage

Guest yamaha_man

Guest yamaha_man

What are the do's and don'ts of wine storage a home environment?

I'm talking storage for decades also not months or years.

Cheers

Months, years, decades the requirements are the same but the allowable tolerances can be smaller as the timeframes increase.

Constant temperature. You want to be looking at around 10-16 degrees here. Most argue that the variation in temperature is more important than the temperature itself. If unsure and you will be storing the wine for an extended period of time, err on the cooler side. I have mine at 12-14 degrees. Red and white can be stored at the same temp.

Humidity. Minimum of 60% to ensure the integrity of the cork (humidity is only a factor for the cork and labels) too high and mould/condensation can affect the labels. If all of your wine is under screwcap then just aim to keep humidity under 85% for the sake of the labels. Again, this needs to be kept as constant as possible.

UV light. This stuff can cause some nasty chemical reactions with the compounds in your wine. Keep it away from the goods.

Vibration. A secondary concern but if you are keeping stuff for a long time it pays to go to the nth degree and do whatever can be done to eliminate unnecessary vibration

How you achieve all this comes down to the amount of wine you are looking to store, how much you drink and funds available. I've only got a couple of hundred bottles so a dedicated wine cabinet takes care of the above for me. We do tend to favour overkill here at SNA so an isolated, temp and humidity controlled room, wall to wall with wine is not out of the question.

Something else to factor in... location. Once the wine starts flowing it is very easy to have fantastic ideas like "lets open that 1956 Shiraz that uncle XX handed down to me" to counter that i had my wine stored under the house when i first started y collection. Getting to it involved a torch, crawling, mud and so on. It made it too much of a hassle to go getting the best bottles once drinking had started.

I keep about 500 bottles in off site storage, with a 40 bottle cabinet at home which I top up from storage as required.

Cost works out to about $1.70 per bottle per annum. I should average a $17 per bottle increase in value over that time, so I see it as cost neutral for the luxury of having 10 year cellared wine of my choosing on hand in the future.

Building a dedicated room with tempature and humidity control isn't an option since I've moved about 20 times in the last 18 years.

Mind you, with a permanent move (10 years+) after Christmas on the cards, I'm still leaning towards maintaining the off site storage option.

• Like 1

Nearly choked on my Weet Bix when I read this thread - what are you storing, all your aged Bourbons and Wild Turkeys?  :P

Just get an Aldi storage cabinet like Mining Man said or do what I do - have a cool area under the house and dig it out fitting in some shelves.

Guest yamaha_man

Is there anywhere in Victoria that will cellar you wine for a fee?

If so, any idea of the cost.

I only have 2 bottles but I want them done properly.

Cheers.

I think you'll fine wine cellaring only worth doing for bulk lots (at least 100 bottles). There may be someone that will take individual bottles, but I wouldn't think so.

A better bet might be a kind forum member with a proper cellar. I'm sure they'd only charge 2 bottles of wine for the service. ;)

Jon5y has pretty much summed up the topic. The only thing I'd add is that if you are looking at a wine fridge, the dual temperature zone fridges are significantly more expensive to run, and given that you can store reds and whites together, it's not an expense worth incurring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk