Fusion??

I have an extremely well-thumbed science book, that was given to me by my aunt in 1964. It covers a range of then recent technologies, including lasers, the Concorde, biology and fusion power. It was reckoned that, in 1964, a working fusion reactor was around 20 years away from reality. Every decade since, researchers have told us the a practical fusion power reactor was around 20 years away.

From this, I have learned to take any announcement with a grain of salt. That said; The development appears interesting and exciting. Let's hope.

Dunno what Tony Credlin will do with all those coal mines though.

Let's hope this is a real breakthrough. I'm not sure I'd hold my breath, though. Note the last sentence about Lockheed's falling shares — I think they'd be through the roof if something significant was happening.

• Volunteer

Let's hope this is a real breakthrough. I'm not sure I'd hold my breath, though. Note the last sentence about Lockheed's falling shares — I think they'd be through the roof if something significant was happening.

I think their shares are down because global stockmarkets got "monstered' overnight

Sure ya do Lockheed.

It's a concept if there's no prototype.

The article writer isn't very educated, talking about deuterium and tritium and then referring to a new fuel source when they ARE the proposed new fuel. And naval reactors aren't replaced - the fuel is, and the later ones have fuel installed for the life of the ship.

Sounds like a rehash of too-cheap-to-meter fission dreams.

From this, I have learned to take any announcement with a grain of salt. That said; The development appears interesting and exciting. Let's hope.

That's true.

However, if true, its the REAL answer to global warming.

The chances of getting the big emitters like China or India to do something about it is zero.

Thanks

Bill

It's a concept if there's no prototype.

Yes.

But with a Phd from MIT you have to say its reputable:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/lockheed-martin-unveils-miniature-nuclear-fusion-power-generator/story-e6frg8y6-1227092587574

We will have to wait and see - fingers crossed.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

I have an extremely well-thumbed science book, that was given to me by my aunt in 1964. It covers a range of then recent technologies, including lasers, the Concorde, biology and fusion power. It was reckoned that, in 1964, a working fusion reactor was around 20 years away from reality. Every decade since, researchers have told us the a practical fusion power reactor was around 20 years away.

Dunno what Tony Credlin will do with all those coal mines though.

It will mean the end of the passionate relationship between himself and G....

Meh....who knows, he will just do a flip of some kind ;)

Even if this idea works, and it isn't even a prototype, it's many many years off being commercially viable, and unlikely to be universally affordable in all countries. At very least we'll have a mix of emission free generation technologies for at least a generation.