McDonald's sneakily up-sells coffee if customers are not explicit?

Chopsus Maximus

Hi All,

I occasionally grab a bacon and egg McMuffin meal with coffee from my local McDonalds. I don't do this that often that I know how much is should be, but on occasion I have thought "gee that's dearer than I expected".

This morning was one of those mornings when I thought Ronald had put his hand in my pocket a bit much so I asked the attendant and he read back the order, adding it up as he went, with a look on his face like I was an idiot (not uncommon for me) ... he got to the end of his perfect equation and I said "yes - that seems quite expensive for a large coffee".

I then got an exasperated look and was told "that's how much a large pronto espresso is!"

me: "I didn't order an espresso, I ordered a large (black) coffee"

him: "no, you just ordered a large coffee"

.... long story short, apparently if I don't specify that I want a bog standard, drip filtered coffee, McDonalds take it upon themselves to put their hand in my pocket and up-sell me to the dearer (often rubbish) McCafe coffee.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me that thinks a coffee should be a coffee unless some gourmet variant is requested by the customer?

as and aside: also, apparently if you don't specify "black" then you get milk/cappuccino as the default - which I also disagree with ... 

Having worked at Mcdonalds in the past - I would dispute that their god awful drip filtered brown liquid is coffee to begin with. An espresso coffee is not a gourmet variant, its just coffee. (Not necessarily good coffee mind you). 

However they definitely SHOULD be asking you which coffee you would like, not just assuming you want the expensive one. 

What really shits me is whenever I order a coffee in drive thru, they never ask if I want any sugar. Any other coffee place on earth, there are two questions - 'what kind of coffee would you like', and 'any sugar?' Or, whenever you get given your coffee, you automatically get a sugar packet with it. 

Just last week I was waiting in the drive thru waiting bay, the dude brought out my coffee, and I said 'is there sugar with it?' and he said 'you didn't say you wanted sugar' and I replied 'you never asked!!'  Its not like sugar is an odd request, its part of the deal!!

Happens every time. 

I usually get Macca's breakfast when travelling for work (it's my money/business) and recently in Adelaide thought I'd go a regular latte for a change up as I don't trust them to make a ristretto. It was delivered in a large Hi-ball glass filled to the brim :rolleyes: . What cafe in Oz serves a 350ml cafe latte?

I must see if Cibo do hamburgers next time.

(funny isn't it, I would never expect to get a decent coffee at Maccas, but then I am not driving around in the suburbs, where there might not be an alternative with decent coffee nearby)

I must see if Cibo do hamburgers next time.

(funny isn't it, I would never expect to get a decent coffee at Maccas, but then I am not driving around in the suburbs, where there might not be an alternative with decent coffee nearby)

See, I don't rate Cibo either, there is one on the nearest corner to the hotel I stay at in Froome St. For coffee in Adelaide I go here http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/exchange-specialty-coffee-adelaide

Blybo

neither do I - I make mine at home.  But I would rather go there than Gloria Jeans, or MacDonalds

That side street in Adelaide is really a great spot - East End cellars nearby, and a delightful place opposite as well.

If you are there, contemplate going east about 1 kilometre to Simply Coffee, in Rundle Street Kent Town.

That is where I buy my beans - great shop, great service and they also do coffee.  I think a few other SNA coffee lovers go there (?mikizee)

That is where I buy my beans - great shop, great service and they also do coffee.  I think a few other SNA coffee lovers go there (?mikizee)

Yes sir, that is correct. Tried quite a few roasters around town, and keep coming back to Simply Coffee. No one has challenged their first place yet.

• Like 1

If you don't specify that you want a drip filtered variety then of course they are going to upsell you.

That is just marketing and no different to many coffee shops that automatically upsell you to a larger mug of Cappuccino instead of a regular size.

The solution is simple. You simply state what variety you want and in what size and the problem is solved. If they bring you something more expensive or larger and it is to your liking then you are no obligation to pay them any extra.

BTW I go to many different coffee shops and I think that McCafe coffee is quite good. It might be unfashionable to say anything positive about McDonalds but I have said it

he said 'you didn't say you wanted sugar' and I replied 'you never asked!!'

So_greasy_face....png

Getting that vibe too.

I'm a "Sally" type of food & beverage orderer, quite easy really.

A mug of flat white with sugar please.

Get a Sally smugness too when I pre-empt attempts at upselling.

If you don't specify that you want a drip filtered variety then of course they are going to upsell you.

That is just marketing and no different to many coffee shops that automatically upsell you to a larger mug of Cappuccino instead of a regular size.

The solution is simple. You simply state what variety you want and in what size and the problem is solved. If they bring you something more expensive or larger and it is to your liking then you are no obligation to pay them any extra.

BTW I go to many different coffee shops and I think that McCafe coffee is quite good. It might be unfashionable to say anything positive about McDonalds but I have said it

If I ask for a Black Coffee I should not get some milk laden yuppie fest though.

Whilst your suggestion is elegantly simple, life does not operate that way when you order through the drive through and have a bag and a cup thrust into your car window LOL!

Edited by Chopsus Maximus

if

I just don't get this thread. You went to maccas and asked for coffee....
Can't you see a flaw in in you strategy????

If it's a crime - count me guilty - at 3am on the way to a fishing trip there is not much alternative

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon the last time I bought anything from McDonalds would have to be around 25 to 30 years ago. Their 'burgers' were awful back then, and while they have probably added a few more McThingys to their list over the years, nothing has convinced me to go back to them. I must admit that I did continue with Hungry Jacks for a while longer, but ditched them as well quite a few years ago now. I can't see any reason to go back now, having kicked the habit.

If you want a decent burger, there are any number of small cafes and shops around where you can get one. Likewise with coffee. Here in Adelaide we are spoilt for choice as far as coffee shops are concerned.

I tried one of their burgers in '75 (Broadway,Sydney) I haven't been back since.

I go to Mc D. about once every 10 years.  Since I don't know what the latest 'offer' gimmick was last time I just asked for a "a burger please".  Would have thought that would have been easy enough !?  The girly sort of looked at me like half her brain was melted and eventually came out with "do you want a fish burger ? " No I didn't want a fish so we settled on a chicken 'burger' and a drink and chips.  So then it became "do you want the 'meal deal'.  Since I had no idea what that was I had to ask the brain dead girl and the answer was that that it "might" save a few cents.  MIGHT !!

After being neutral re Mc D. It's put me in the negative camp for sure now.  Went to a buger joint for a burger and got dicked about instead.  NOT going back any time soon.

PS: only went cos it was one of those 'nothing else open times'.

Edited by E.Man

I tried one of their burgers in '75 (Broadway,Sydney) I haven't been back since.

When we were in out 4th year of marriage, my lovely better 1/2 decided to visit her relatives and show of our brand new son, who just turned 4. We saved enough for her to go back for 3mths and due to work commitments I stayed home and travelled to see them on her last 2 weeks there. When I finally arrived in HK airport, we both walked passed not recognising each other. When we finally realised what had happened, the 1st thing she said was that I ballooned out with weight, couldn't say the same foe her as she slimmed down to this gorgeous doll I though was too expensive to maintain! See what a diet of Maccas does to ya? So I stopped having it incase of emergencies....:P

• Like 1

See, I don't rate Cibo either, there is one on the nearest corner to the hotel I stay at in Froome St. For coffee in Adelaide I go here http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/exchange-specialty-coffee-adelaide

You are close blybo, best coffee in that vicinity is a couple of doors up from CIBO at "Taste Baguette" ... Michael

Edited by MrHorsepower

I go to Mc D. about once every 10 years.  Since I don't know what the latest 'offer' gimmick was last time I just asked for a "a burger please".  Would have thought that would have been easy enough !?  The girly sort of looked at me like half her brain was melted and eventually came out with "do you want a fish burger ? " No I didn't want a fish so we settled on a chicken 'burger' and a drink and chips.  So then it became "do you want the 'meal deal'.  Since I had no idea what that was I had to ask the brain dead girl and the answer was that that it "might" save a few cents.  MIGHT !!

After being neutral re Mc D. It's put me in the negative camp for sure now.  Went to a buger joint for a burger and got dicked about instead.  NOT going back any time soon.

PS: only went cos it was one of those 'nothing else open times'.

Well I am not a frequenter of McDonalds. I don't think I've been for about 15 years, when I went one evening after too much to drink and regretted a fish burger.

However, given they have the menu on display in fairly large writing, and given they offer a number of different burgers, I think you could take some responsibility for communicating what sort of burger you want, and that it is a bit unreasonable to complain when the woman serving you couldn't work it out for you.

• Like 1