Sibilance issues with new turntable and cart..

Hey all.. So I recently bought a Rega RP3 and Benz Micro MC Silver cart and finally set it all up last week. I used a Rega Baerwald alignment protractor for the cart, set the tracking force to 2g as per the manufacturers recommendation using a digital scale and adjusted the anti-skate as per the instructions. I also used a 2mm spacer to get the arm parallel to the record surface so no problems there.

Everything sounds excellent, there is good detail and I'm really enjoying the sound. The only thing that is bothering me is that I'm getting sibilance on some records. I haven't noticed any sibilance on these particular records in the past and on one record that was known for having sibilance issues there doesn't seem to be any now. Weird.

So my question is, are they just dud records or is something off with my alignment? The majority of my records sound excellent but it bugs the hell out of me knowing that a few favourites just sound ssssssso wrong.

I also should note that the stylus of the Benz MC Silver was slightly off centre from new. I didn't think too much of this initially as I figured I could compensate for it in the alignment (which I did) but now I'm concerned it might be causing my problem. Any suggestions?

post-134047-0-72804700-1413261830_thumb.

Edited by deniall

Not sure about the Silver Benz but my Benz had a recommended 40 hours break in. Sounded rubbish and started deepen at 12 hours and by 20 it was coming right.

Did you have sibilance issues at the start and did they disappear after break-in?

Yes, the cart sounded thin, splashy and bright. It was gone after 20 hours and the cart was mint after 40 as recommended.

Not sure if this is related to your problem but that's my 2 cents. Hope you get it sorted.

Yes, the cart sounded thin, splashy and bright. It was gone after 20 hours and the cart was mint after 40 as recommended.

Not sure if this is related to your problem but that's my 2 cents. Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for that. Might have to just see how it goes.

It may be the parallax of the photograph, but your vertical tracking angle looks to be still off. Looking from side on, is the centreline of the tonearm (not the top or bottom surface, because the barrel is tapered) parallel to the vinyl surface? It looks to me like you need a Rega 4mm spacer under the tonearm to base correct the VTA. But it could be the photo!

It may be the parallax of the photograph, but your vertical tracking angle looks to be still off. Looking from side on, is the centreline of the tonearm (not the top or bottom surface, because the barrel is tapered) parallel to the vinyl surface? It looks to me like you need a Rega 4mm spacer under the tonearm to base correct the VTA. But it could be the photo!

I think it's the photo. As you said, the arm tube is tapered but my checks indicated that it was indeed parallel. Though I can't see how an extra 2mm of arm height would change things as that's only a 0.5 degree change to the SRA.

Edited by deniall

Some cartridges can be extremely sensitive to VTA. If adjusting levels by eye, it's still best to experiment by dropping the VTA a bit to see if the sibilance issue is reduced,

I now use a Bosch laser level to set TT and Arm VTA. It is more accurate than guessing and there were audible differences on my setup.

Some cartridges can be extremely sensitive to VTA. If adjusting levels by eye, it's still best to experiment by dropping the VTA a bit to see if the sibilance issue is reduced,

I now use a Bosch laser level to set TT and Arm VTA. It is more accurate than guessing and there were audible differences on my setup.

How far out were you and how much did the SRA change after using the laser? Have you noticed the sound quality changes with different record thicknesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been having similar issue's since my Dynavector XX2 had an ESC retip. spent hours adjusting everything but every so often the sibilance will surface its ugly head..

Funny thing is it will appear quite random.....weird!!! :huh:  

How far out were you and how much did the SRA change after using the laser? Have you noticed the sound quality changes with different record thicknesses?

It was very close at about 1MM.    I ignore record thicknesses  - One has to draw the line somewhere!

Just experiment anyway and see if there is any difference.  If cartridge is new you should ignore  what you are hearing for at least 50 or so hours of use. They change quite a bit when run in.

Why did you choose Baerwald alignment?    Rega's own alignment is close to Stevenson. Generally the tone arm designer knows what alignment sounds best.

re the slightly off centre cantilever.  Align the cartridge to the body, not the cantilever and compensate with less/more antiskating. The less/more antiskating may allow the cantilever to move to the centre position permanently after a while.

cheers

Edited by metal beat

Why did you choose Baerwald alignment? Rega's own alignment is close to Stevenson. Generally the tone arm designer knows what alignment sounds best.

re the slightly off centre cantilever. Align the cartridge to the body, not the cantilever and compensate with less/more antiskating. The less/more antiskating may allow the cantilever to move to the centre position permanently after a while.

cheers

I used Baerwald as per the recommendations on vinyl engine. Funnily enough, the Baerwald alignment seems to match the supplied Rega protractor as well. Maybe something's a miss? I'll redo the alignment with the body of the cart parallel to the lines on the protractor and see how I go.

Hi Deniall i was wondering if you had check whether the plinth is level when the platter is level. On my RP3, they were not and I suspect that on mine at least, the occassional sibilance may have been caused by the different plane which of course could cause the arm to be sitting at an angle to the platter and the stylus Would also be tracking at the wrong angle. Again this is only from my personal experience. I now own an RP6 and both are at the same plane and all the sibilances have dissapeared. Just a thought or a theory.

I also forgot to mention that vibration from the sub-platter can also cause sibilance. I noticed this when I was trying to settle my Michael Lim's Aluminium sub-platter in and it took at least 8 hours of running the TT before the sibilance dissapeared.

Hi Deniall i was wondering if you had check whether the plinth is level when the platter is level. On my RP3, they were not and I suspect that on mine at least, the occassional sibilance may have been caused by the different plane which of course could cause the arm to be sitting at an angle to the platter and the stylus Would also be tracking at the wrong angle. Again this is only from my personal experience. I now own an RP6 and both are at the same plane and all the sibilances have dissapeared. Just a thought or a theory.

The plinth is perfectly level, the platter is slightly off. I can't seem to get it level so I'm guessing the sub-platter is the culprit. The mat seems to be thicker on one side than the other as well which makes things difficult. I'll see if I can get the platter level, if not I might need to invest in a better sub-platter.