Denon DL110 on SME 3009

My current cart is a Shure V15type4 MM type and I have been 'loaned' a Denon DL110 MC cart to try.

Just wondering if anyone has used a 110 on one of these old arms ?

Also the 110 is a MC and I was told it will work on a MM setting, but I have switchable MM-MC on my NAD preamp, so what do I do for the best results?

Any info will be muchly appreciated. :thumb:

Cheers.

Hi Grumps, the DL 110 is a HOMC and will work on the MM setting.

I would think the 3009 would be too light for the DL 110 which is not a very compliant cart.

Edit: Your Shure V15 is a high compliance cart and the 3009 was custom made for it.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Don't use the MC setting on your pre,...............the DL110 is designed to work on the MM setting.

You could try the DL110 in the 3009, but it would be advisable to add a little mass to the headshell. Is your 3009 the one with the fixed headshell or removable headshell?

Cheers,

Keith

You could try the DL110 in the 3009, but it would be advisable to add a little mass to the headshell. Is your 3009 the one with the fixed headshell or removable headshell?

Cheers,

Keith

I might be a little confused here but The Shure cart weighs in at 6.4g and the Denon about 8g I think - so why would I need more weight at the headshell?

You know me Cheeky, you have to talk slow and repeat the finer steps to me :confused:

Because the Shure cart is a lot more compliant [springy] compared to the Denon which is not very compliant [rigid] so the mass to the headshell will make it track better with a low mass arm like the 3009. Is your headshell removable on the 3009?

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Fixed headshell Keith .

My mistake, the 110 weighs in at 4.8g not 8g.  I should wear my glasses when reading important stuff.

No worries, Grumps, but it is more to do with the compliance of the cart. Alright, I think you'll find the fixed headshell 3009 has 3 - 4g less mass than the removable headshell version.

Yeah, I need not only my glasses on these days, but a strong magnifying glass as well!! :D

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well! I finally got around to installing the Denon DL110 (kindly loaned to me by Capone) on my TT .

Geez it's a bugger to change carts on the non-detachable headshell of the SME 3009's, especially trying to keep the finger lift and it's plastic insert and the extra headshell weight needed for the Denon cart while trying to insert the twin headshell bolts and fit and tighten the tiny, tiny round nuts . AARGHHH!! :wub:

Righto! how does it sound compared to my Shure V15 type4 cart?

Well it's different on my first brief listen yesterday on a couple of my well known tracks; Is it better or worse, I can't say yet

More listening is needed and possibly some minor adjustments to the arm, then I'll have a better idea of which cart I prefer.

The pic below really shows up the dust, but it's better than the first pic I took which looked 'grotty' even after a couple of swipes with my anti-static record brush.

post-104420-0-35456200-1418621810_thumb.

• Like 1

When I bought my Rock in '86 it came with a DL110 fitted on the RB 250, a nice cart, but the Shure is hard to beat. I had a MK 3 back in the early 80s in my Garrard DD130, never heard one in the Rock though.