What makes 'music' for you?

G'day all, feeling a little philosophical on this Monday morning and with a record playing in the background, I realise that my old second hand 'plastic' TT1200ct Marantz turntable, Shure M97xE phono cartridge, DIY Bruce Heran designed simple op amp phono stage and all my other various DIY audio electronics, stereo chip amplifier and (now) old Richter 'Merlin' bookshelf loudspeakers, give me real music playback quality that I really love and find most agreeable. 

Who needs so called 'high end'?  Honestly this simple system gives me real 'music', so what makes 'music' for you?  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman

G'day mate, I'm honestly not trying to knock 'high end', however isn't the basic idea of 'high fidelity', being faithful to the source and all that kind of thing?  To my ears that is what this system provides. 

Indeed I have heard audio gear much more expensive and of 'higher quality' and whilst sounding 'impressive', did not give me the sort of satisfying sound quality that this system does.  I don't really know I guess, but my ears tell me what I like.  Does that make any sense?  Regards, Felix.   

Edited by catman

One of the best amps I've ever heard was a home built and designed tube amp.This guys winds his own iron by hand and he's been doing it for over 60 years,he has a stock of tubes and parts that he collected from boy hood.Unfortunately he wont build anymore.He was really into live music,great live sound.

All that matters in my book,is what sounds good to you/me.And what some guy who owns a 60K and 100K speakers/amp might like,maybe not the sound i like.

Edited by masliko

you have acquired 'system synergy' that appeals to you.

this is an enviable position to be in.

don't change anything or look at anything on the internet which may pique your interest.

now just buy all the music you can.

you have reached the place all audiophiles want to be.  :thumb:

• Like 1

Honestly this simple system gives me real 'music', so what makes 'music' for you? 

No reason why it shouldn't, Felix.

Whenever I build a DIY component, I am rarely disappointed in it. Psychological? Probably, but who cares, I'm enjoying it.  :love

Running a restored Luxman pd264 with Acos Lustre arm and a Bellex HOMC cart through a Hagerman Bugle that I bought as a PCB and built, OK the amp is a Copland CSA14 and speakers are Castle Howaerds, but it sounds very acceptable to me.

The whole TT cost me a can of brasso and afew other cleaning materials and the phono stage cost me around $200.

Its all personal, what ever makes you happy, its when you get on the merry go round chasing hi fi valhalla you can go off the rails, I laught when i hear people passing judgement on gear they have not heard in the context of the system some one else owns. see it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. To each their own and it is a personal thing.

The gear I had fgrowing up was pretty poor however this period holds my fondest listening experiences.

G'day all, feeling a little philosophical on this Monday morning and with a record playing in the background, I realise that my old second hand 'plastic' TT1200ct Marantz turntable, Shure M97xE phono cartridge, DIY Bruce Heran designed simple op amp phono stage and all my other various DIY audio electronics, stereo chip amplifier and (now) old Richter 'Merlin' bookshelf loudspeakers, give me real music playback quality that I really love and find most agreeable. 

Who needs so called 'high end'?  Honestly this simple system gives me real 'music', so what makes 'music' for you?  Regards, Felix.