Recommendations for ICs with lean bass

I know the hi fi mavens say that you should never use ICs to tune your system, but sometimes there's no other choice if you like sound apart from one thing.

I'd like to consult the SNA hive mind for recommendations for ICs with a lean bass - ie the bass is quite natural and audible, but not overpowering.  These would be for a second system, so nothing too expensive please (and I don't like Nordost).

If anyone has two pairs, 0.6 to 1.0m long to sell, please PM me.

If it were possible to do this .... then it would be strongly dependant on the electrical properties of the input and output circuits of the two devices  (ie. the resulting electrical circuit they form when combined with the IC).     So IMO a generalisation is not possible.

I don't want to list my equipment as that will inevitably lead to suggestions about possible changes and, as I have said, I am quite happy with it apart from a tad too much bass.

If that means that no one comes forward with suggestions, then so be it.  I would have thought, however, that with the myriad of ICs on the market, there must be some that are known to fall within my requirements

Cardas Cross is nice and full bodied cable.

I think I have a pair. Pm me if any interest.

I need two pairs.  By 'full-bodied', do you mean full bodied in the bass as well?  if so that's not what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

I don't want to list my equipment as that will inevitably lead to suggestions about possible changes and, as I have said, I am quite happy with it apart from a tad too much bass.

Cables can only reduce sound.... and this is only in extreme situations.

I expect you may find that without changing your equipment or using EQ, that speaker placement is the cause / solution.    Interaction with the back wall reinforces bass at a certain frequency.    That would be my bet for your issue.

• Like 2

I would have thought, however, that with the myriad of ICs on the market, there must be some that are known to fall within my requirements

Well, you need to look for ones with either big inductors or an RC shelving circuit built into them.

It just isn't going to happen with "normal" (ie. cable based) interconnects.   

As to why, please at least read Thorsten's fifteen year old explanation of primary, secondary and tertiary effects in cables.

If you can use a soldering iron (or clip lead) put a resistor and capacitor in parallel.  Put this in series with your interconnect - (eg use a male and female RCA connector). Voila, bass roll off.

Values?   Try R = Rin of your power amp and C = R/2.pi.F where F is your problem frequency.  Say 80Hz.  2piF =~ 500, if your Rin is 100K, then C =~ 20nF.

If that means that no one comes forward with suggestions, then so be it.  I would have thought, however, that with the myriad of ICs on the market, there must be some that are known to fall within my requirements

I need two pairs.  By 'full-bodied', do you mean full bodied in the bass as well?  if so that's not what I'm looking for.

I misread your post.  I thought your speakers were lean and wanted a IC to warm upo the sound.  Cardas will be no good to lean out bass.

I know the hi fi mavens say that you should never use ICs to tune your system, but sometimes there's no other choice if you like sound apart from one thing.

I'd like to consult the SNA hive mind for recommendations for ICs with a lean bass - ie the bass is quite natural and audible, but not overpowering.  These would be for a second system, so nothing too expensive please (and I don't like Nordost).

Bronal, before this thread starts to turn into an interconnect s**t fight, Can I ask do you have a suspended or wooden floor? And are your speakers spiked into it (the wooden floor) or coupled to it? if so you need to de-couple it, as if it is coupled this will give a heavier/thicker sound to the bass, as you can feel it through the floor through your feet.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

Bronal, before this thread starts to turn into an interconnect s**t fight, Can I ask do you have a suspended or wooden floor? And are your speakers spiked into it (the wooden floor) or coupled to it? if so you need to de-couple it, as if it is coupled this will give a heavier/thicker sound to the bass, as you can feel it through the floor through your feet.

Cheers George

I have a concrete floor.  My speakers (Harbeth SHL5s) are on Skylan stands filled with rice.  The stands have nut-like feet (not spikes).

I have a concrete floor.  My speakers (Harbeth SHL5s) are on Skylan stands filled with rice.  The stands have nut-like feet (not spikes).

Good, then I would try interconnects that are silver, as I have always found they are leaner tighter in the bass than copper. 

Cheers George

• Like 2

It was nice of you to share SOME of the important information about your system. MUCH more is required to provide accurate and helpful advice. SOME of what is required will include:

* Size of room.

* Location of speakers in that room.

* Amplification.

* What sort of furnishings and/or damping materials.

Silver wire 0.2mm to 0.4mm

• Like 1

The Aurealis R2 CuT could well fit the bill. They are clean and detailed in the bass region, but not overblown. I found them to be very coherent from top to bottom.

I'd add to this by saying you might also consider going with a similar brand for your speaker cables. No point mixing and matching different types of cables, IMO. Try contacting Geoff at Aurealis who will give you great advice in this area. He is also generous regarding 'testing and trying', plus his prices are excellent for new gear.  And he's an SNA member.

http://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/

Cheers.

I had similar problems with the SHL5 in my old house.  I don't think cable changes will make enough difference.  I moved house before I resolved the issue. 

The SHL5s are much happier here.  The room is so different I can't say what made the difference, but I suspect it was room dimension related.

• Like 1

I had similar problems with the SHL5 in my old house.  I don't think cable changes will make enough difference.  I moved house before I resolved the issue. 

The SHL5s are much happier here.  The room is so different I can't say what made the difference, but I suspect it was room dimension related.

Of course. Room acoustics are, far and away, the most dominant factor in any system.

• Like 1