Japanese turntable (Vestax QFO) Can I just switch the jumper to run it here without a transformer?

Hi, I have a Vestax QFO Japanese market version (100v). I always ran it with a transformer but i had to open it up to perform some repairs and I noticed that it looks like you can just put the jumper on the voltage you want to use (100,120 or 230).  I want to be as certain as possible that this will work, since its quite a rare peice of equipment, if anyone has any advice, that would be great, Cheers heaps. Here is a pic i took of it:aaa.jpg

Hi, I have a Vestax QFO Japanese market version (100v). I always ran it with a transformer but i had to open it up to perform some repairs and I noticed that it looks like you can just put the jumper on the voltage you want to use (100,120 or 230).  I want to be as certain as possible that this will work, since its quite a rare peice of equipment, if anyone has any advice, that would be great, Cheers heaps. Here is a pic i took of it:aaa.jpg

I believe if you switch the jumper to 230v then it should work in our main direct

regards

Duc

It should definitely work, some of the Japanese amp's, decks, spinners and phonos that were also sold in other places of the world had jumpers like the one in the picture where it can be set to different mains voltage, they used transformers with multiple primary windings for different country AC power input and then a sticker on the back saying 100V only but popping the panel or taking the sticker off would reveal adjustable jumpers. 

Not sure how it sounds, its actually my mates, I was just fixing it for him, the thing was busted, managed to fix it, a blown cap and a fuse. I think maybe because (unknown to us) it was a Japanese version 100v and it was being used with a US (120v) step down transformer. Worked for ages though. I think they are worth quite a lot because they are one of a kind, not many around and they stopped making them apparently.

Thats why I'm trying to be as sure as possible that it will work switching the jumper. Obviously its far from ideal to have to use a step down transformer for anything. I emailed Vestax, but I doubt anyone there will be of much use. I mean obviously its 99.9% that it will work, I guess in the end im going to have to take a chance.

Also not that its going to be sold, but I imagine it would be worth a lot more if it was the "Australian" version!

I assume like with anything a lot of damage could be done if I switch the jumper, and for some reason it is still running at 100v, but is there a chance that it would simply blow a fuse?

Edited by e32lover

If you want to play  it safe,then I suggest  that you fit the jumper to the 230 v position but do so with the power supplied via a Variac. Start with 100 v and slowly advance  the dial ,checking the operation of the T/T  by increments until you reach 230 v,providing there are no adverse indications.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey folks!  @@e32lover, what was the outcome of this?  I just got a QFO in 230V and am wondering if I can switch the jumper to 120V so it works in Canada.  Is this a safe operation? 

Would love to hear how this panned out for the OP, and if others think this is safe or not.  Thanks! :) 

I used to own one of these, interesting little device, wasn't a good rental though. It uses a spring on the tone arm for downforce, I remember one of Canberras best scratchers using it with the TT nearly vertical.

Edited by Sime