Two amps. One set of speakers.

Hi guys

I have a valve amp and a intergrated amp. I want to use them both at certain times. I have one set of speakers. Rather than unplugging the cables from one amp and repluging into the other ( which I know isn't hard, but I'm lazy.).

What's the best solution

Cheers

Bill

What sources for your music do you have, Bill? 

Chees,

Keith

Edit: I should have looked in your sig and I would have that answer. A good separate DAC would sort your digital output from the CDP into both amps and run the TT through your preferred amp.

Edit # 2. If you hang onto the NAD phono pre and invest in another, all you'll need to do is swap your TT output from one phono pre to the other.

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

Bill, I have TT into SUT into phono stage into amp and also CDP into same amp and have PC audio and TV into another amp and also IC's connected to it if I want to run the CDP and/or the TT with it. Both the amps are connected to my speakers which are bi wire-able . I just never have both on for obvious reasons.

As long as I'm sober there is no problems.

Soon to take delivery of a valve integrated and hence my hesitancy in flogging off one of the amps as it's nice to have the choice in amps.

In my case, a  late model amp a little Redgum(and it's a fantastic little amp) and vintage Sansui (a couple of them I swap in an out just so their little red lights get a work out!) I like the flexibility and I have the room to muck around in this way too which helps enormously of course.

• Like 1

Get a Beresford Speaker Switch: http://www.beresford.me/products/TC-7220.html

They are not expensive and don't have any audible effect.

Not a good idea to run a valve amp into an open circuit. Depending on what type of amp, cherry red plates may ensue. Much better to not attempt such a thing. Stick to lead swapping.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I had a beresford bushmaster sac at one stage. Great build.

I'll have a look at the beresford speaker switch

Luc. Being sober enough to do that may be an issue lol. Love a red or six.

Keith. Just invested in another phono stage from a member. Should be here during the week.

Cheers

Hi medicine__sheos

Yes I had thought of that solution, but was concerned about any sort of electronic feedback/ interference from the integrated amp, as it has a standby mode, so is basically on continuously.

Have to do some more research I think.

Cheers

Be aware that not all speaker switches are suitable for tube amps

A tube amp needs a load ( speaker wires need to be connected to the speakers ) at all times or you will blow something up

I have a similar setup and use a Pre amp but only one or the chosen power amp is switched on to operate when playing music

Edited by Full Range

• 1 year later...