DSOTM SQ quadraphonic

I'm sitting here listening to my SQ version of DSOTM and wondering if it is worth getting a stereo version and whether the mix and sound quality is any better.

I can't even remember when I bought this album but I think it was mid 70s.

The sound quality seems fantastic and maybe only equalled by my SACD version.

Has anyone compared the SQ version with a plain stereo version?

Cheers

There was discussion about this not too long ago.  I bought my AU quad in the 70's also and whilst some opinions favour it, for me it is easily the worst sounding version I have (of 6 vinyl & SACD).  Listening to the quad in stereo the mix is very different & there are instruments missing when compared to a UK early press.  I've not heard the most recent vinyl re-issue but I think they are supposedly pretty good sounding & quiet vinyl, probably a safe buy.  Early UK pressings are the best (earlier the better imo) but you would have to be very lucky (and a little to a lot poorer) for your 1st buy to be clean & fault free, 

Its 'horses for courses' really. Are you saying that you are playing the SQ as two channel, or decoding it into 4 channel.

The quad mixes by Alan Parsons are separate mixes from the stereo mix. They are a conscious and band approved alternative pass at the master tapes, and, of course, have many variances from the stereo. It is the Parsons 4 channel mix that was so highly sought after for decades, and featured so prominently on the Immerson box set.

It is valid and artistically successful second view of the material.

Similar, if you like, to the variances between Mono and Stereo of Hendrix, or the Beatles.

Just enjoy.

ZM.

Its 'horses for courses' really. Are you saying that you are playing the SQ as two channel, or decoding it into 4 channel.

The quad mixes by Alan Parsons are separate mixes from the stereo mix. They are a conscious and band approved alternative pass at the master tapes, and, of course, have many variances from the stereo. It is the Parsons 4 channel mix that was so highly sought after for decades, and featured so prominently on the Immerson box set.

It is valid and artistically successful second view of the material.

Similar, if you like, to the variances between Mono and Stereo of Hendrix, or the Beatles.

Just enjoy.

ZM.

Hi ZM

I don't have the quadrophonic amplifier anymore (sold mine about 35 years ago) so listening in stereo.

I'm not sure I want to bother getting hold of an early stereo pressing off eBay.

What are the latest release stereo versions like?

By all means, get the original stereo mix. Don't be obsessive about getting the vinyl as original pressing, they are seldom well looked after, and tend to be over priced. The Immersion box contains every permutation and the sound can be appreciated through your home theatre system quite adequately.

The gold standard is the early pressings, or the MoFi vinyl, but the recent remaster is fine. On CD, the MoFi is the best I have heard. The tapes were so much fresher back then.

ZM.

I have several versions of DSOTM, the same quad LP, 20th anniversary CD and the Immersion box set.

To my ears the quad LP is just fine. I've even copied it to CD to play in the car.

As Zen mentioned the quad version was sought after.

On 'Speak To Me / Breathe' there is a bar of David Gilmore's great guitar intro (approx. 2m 17sec in) that is very obvious in the quad mix but missing or very faint on the stereo CD.  I know it's only a minor difference but being very familiar with the quad version, when I first heard the stereo CD I went 'what the...?, something is not right.