Yamaha Power Amp- P2200

Item: 

Price: $1300
Item Condition: Very Good 
Reason for selling: Got too many amps and need the cash
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: This is the first professional amp from Yamaha. This particular amp is in very good condition cosmetically. The faceplate is very clean and no scratches. Now to the performance.. This amp has serious power. I had my Gales hooked up to an Accuphase 303x ( 135w/ channel) before this but when i got these connected , it was a totally different ball game. The speakers opened up so much that I have had them as my main power amp for the last 1 year. I bought this from an SNA member who had a lot of work done including changing all capacitors that needed changing. It was also fully serviced. The speaker bindings posts and power cable have been changed with high quality ones. RCA inputs have been added.  It has not given me an ounce of trouble for all the time I have had it. The works have been carried out been carried out by a qualified technician. This is one that I am putting this for sale with a heavy heart but I need the cash to continue my audio journey.

Power output: 200 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 400W into 16Ω (mono)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 50kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%

Damping factor: 300

Input sensitivity: 1.23V

Signal to noise ratio: 110dB

Dimensions: 480 x 176 x 330mm

Weight: 20kg

Here's a link of many on the net.

http://legendaryamps.com/latestpro.html

Pictures:post-138157-0-30394400-1411900051_thumb.post-138157-0-67016400-1411900120_thumb.post-138157-0-68854400-1411900148_thumb.post-138157-0-62327600-1411900198_thumb.post-138157-0-65915000-1411900251_thumb.

• Like 2

I think the OP forgot to mention that this P2200 is fitted with the very expensive and superb quality Rifa caps, it also has had the tinny aluminium earth bar replaced with 38 x 10mm solid copper bar and has a quality heavy duty power cord and plug fitted.

If you own Gale 401 speakers you want this amp.  It will transform them and in comparisons it easily bettered many of the wankerfile amps that are lauded on this forum.

Every capacitor in this amp was replaced.    

Edited by flemo
  • Like 3

Great amp, it has Alps Black Beauty's as input level controls in it, so it makes a very good amp with inbuilt passive.

I biased one up a bit higher in class A than spec so it ran nice and toasty, and many loved the sound it gave, and it kicks arse in the bottom end.  

Here is a pic of the guts.

Cheers George

post-106386-0-75873800-1411939944_thumb.

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

My service manual say 1998.

Way back when amps had big linear power supplies, and I think 10 x BJT (no wimpy mosfets) transistors per channel that gave current ability into hard to drive speakers.

http://hi-tech.niceboards.org/t54-yamaha-p2200

Joe Redigar of Audio Connection put me onto these, and said it's one of the best affordable amps he's heard for bass.

And I found if you bias them up harder into Class A so they run warm at idle and remove the input coupling cap, they are very respectable in the mids and highs as well.

Being originally designed for studio amps there are plenty around but they're getting hard to find in good nick, they need speaker terminal swap outs and rca's instaled (as the OP has done), easy if you know how.

Cheers George     

post-106386-0-68001800-1411949076_thumb.

Edited by georgehifi

My service manual say 1998.

Way back when amps had big linear power supplies, and I think 10 x BJT (no wimpy mosfets) transistors per channel that gave current ability into hard to drive speakers.

http://hi-tech.niceboards.org/t54-yamaha-p2200

Joe Redigar of Audio Connection put me onto these, and said it's one of the best affordable amps he's heard for bass.

And I found if you bias them up harder into Class A so they run warm at idle and remove the input coupling cap, they are very respectable in the mids and highs as well.

Being originally designed for studio amps there are plenty around but they're getting hard to find in good nick, they need speaker terminal swap outs and rca's instaled (as the OP has done), easy if you know how.

Cheers George     

Thanks George.

Hey Hyper, I can't see a manufacturer's year on the unit ( don't think they are printed it ). I believe this costed big bucks in the days too. May regret selling this but I just want to try different things for now.. Cheers 

Built in 1998??? these were made in 1976 on and were not made in 1998 they were replaced by the newer pc2002 in 1982 -so your amp may have been serviced in 1998 but 1976 to 1998!!

I only said what the date on my Yamaha service manual has at the bottom, it may well be earlier.

Cheers George

My understanding is that the P2200 was manufactured between 1975 and 1981.  

This amp was almost completely rebuilt / serviced on 13/11/2012.

This is a professional series amplifier which performs well above Yamaha's (and many other ) domestic (hi-fi) amplifiers.  

It is also my understanding that the first 30wpc is Class A. 

As George stated, these amps kick arse when it comes to bass, but this amp with all the upgrades is many levels above the standard P2200.  The headroom, openness, dynamics and SPL's are fantastic IMO.  

My understanding is that the P2200 was manufactured between 1975 and 1981.  

This is a professional series amplifier which performs well above Yamaha's (and many other ) domestic (hi-fi) amplifiers.  

It is also my understanding that the first 30wpc is Class A. 

As George stated, these amps kick arse when it comes to bass, but this amp with all the upgrades is many levels above the standard P2200.  The headroom, openness, dynamics and SPL's are fantastic IMO.  

Yes the real beauty of amps of this era is that they can be worked on and are bullet proof -Yamaha made some killer amplifiers through the 70 ,80, 90 era .Many recent amps made with surface mount tech etc are the ones that cannot be serviced and repaired..This amplifier would be awesome after a fresh rebuild in 2012

Who did the rebuild ??

Jason Boyd did the rebuild.

• Like 1