WTB: Fancy Pre Amp

juzmister

So now that my quest for a fancy DAC is done, it's time to find a new pre!

I've been waiting for two years for my build and am fed up...Looking to the community to see if anyone has something nice sitting around!

I'd prefer Solid State and have a budget up to 12k - A pass XP30 or Ayre KX-R would be top of the list, but always open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Justin

How about a Halcro DM8?  You can't call it colored!

I was at a well known repairer the other day and noticed what resembled a 44 gallon drum and enquired if he had seen breaking bad and he informed me it was in fact a halcro mono amp and the issue was of a service nature and the difficulty of trying to service it with a coat of paint covering the circuit board's as a means of protecting intellectual property. I had seen tim de pavericini do it with ic's and scratching the identifications off them but a coat of dulux is certainly "colouring" the repair efforts.

I was at a well known repairer the other day and noticed what resembled a 44 gallon drum and enquired if he had seen breaking bad and he informed me it was in fact a halcro mono amp and the issue was of a service nature and the difficulty of trying to service it with a coat of paint covering the circuit board's as a means of protecting intellectual property. I had seen tim de pavericini do it with ic's and scratching the identifications off them but a coat of dulux is certainly "colouring" the repair efforts.

Wow!  

I guess that's one way to protect IP, paint the PCBs in "Secretive Silver".

Guest yamaha_man

Ray Samuels does the same.

The paint operates at a quantum level to align the orbital spin of "noisons" and thus remove them from the signal path.

That would be right, I post here with a reliable, repeatable, quantifiable scientific observation based on years of experience and personable self belief and you reduce it to a spin on mambo jambo with no means of supporting you inferred keyboard web induced, someone said so it must be right collection of useless reviewer token perceived non facts. I rest my case your honour.

I have been very happy with the 2 preamps I get to play with

The Pass XP10 is minimalist and does exactly as needed. About 8k. You should be also be able to get an XP20 for about 12ish.

My preference however is for my Accuphase C-2420. It's my favourite component. Built like a tank (20kg) and has all the bells n whistles. Its subtly better than the XP10. You will get that for 11 to 11.5k. The optional phono stage adds about 2.7k and is also very good. IMO it matches up very well with my FPB. Would love to put it in front of yamaha mans Krell/TAD combo one day.

If you are ever in central vic you are welcome to test drive them.

The photo below is from when I was directly comparing them about out 6 months ago

post-107519-0-82080400-1405342971_thumb.

Edited by Dr Nick
  • Like 1

Thank you for all of the suggestions guys, lots to think about!

I'm heading to Japan on Friday, so will try to find an Accuphase to look at there. If any of you are in Sydney I'd love to have you over to listen to the system - perhaps we could do a pre-amp shootout?

Should have mentioned that I would also recommend an Audio Research Reference 5SE. Bloody fantastic but above your stated budget. Rrp is $16k ish but I assume you could bargain down a bit.

Lastly if you could find a secondhand Ayre KX-R that's another cracker! But unlikely to show up in the Oz market.

I wouldn't give up the Accuphase for either of these but if I could have two preamps I would add the ref5se to my collection.

• Like 1

It's a shame that all of the demo KX-R's are gone now pre the release of the KX-R Twenty. Seems like people abroad are upgrading theirs rather than selling!

I'll track down an Accuphase to listen to in Japan, did you ever listen to the 2810? Loads of second hand ones around over there.

http://www.audiounion.jp/ct/detail/used/105470/%C2'>

Edited by juzmister

No never tried the 2810. It's rare to see Accuphase in Oz at the best of times. And the only stuff that shows up on ebay is usually vintage gear. I borrowed (put it on my credit card) the 2420 demo unit from class A audio for a few days to make sure it was going to work with my system. Obviously it was a keeper.

Actually for reference these are the OZ rrp prices for the preamp series as of January this year. I think the price went up recently. I find it annoying that they deliberately dont publicise the prices. I should probably start a thread on this so someone can explain why keeping your prices a secret is a good idea. And maybe a second thread as place to publish the price of kit that is otherwise hidden

Preamps

C2120 $9250.

C2420 $12650

C2800 $21600

C3800 $28850

Integrated amps. (As of a few weeks ago)

E600 Class A 30W $13500

E460 ??

E360 Class AB 100W $7850

E260 Class AB 90W $6450

• Like 1