GTG at Keith's

When I was typing in the topic for this thread it struck me that I've read that topic before, in fact quite a few times.   A get together at Keith's is not such an unsual thing, I reckon I've been to at least a half a dozen.  They are always a blast with lots of great company, food, drink and music through either of Keith's systems (the front room is my favourite).   There is always someone new to meet or some new music to listen to at Keith's. 

Apart from all that this GTG was different, in fact not something I'd ever think I would see at Keith's.   I've known Keith for around six years now and always known him to have multiple driver arrangement speakers.   It was Keith who put me onto and helped me build a pair of Zaph ZD5's.   This time Keith had two distinctly different pairs of speakers on show.   The first was a pair of Fostex Fe108ez Sigma in a conical horn.  The second and much larger pair were a pair of Alpair 12p in a Woden designed Avebury cabinet.   Single driver speakers at Keith's, who wooda thunk it?

These two pairs of speakers are something that Keith and another well known SNAer Dave Thompson (The Reverend) have been working on for a little while now.   I've actually heard the little ones at my house and was impressed.

I have to admit I really don't know a whole lot about the two pairs of speakers and had to get some information from The Rev on what drivers and cabinets were used.   I'll cut and paste what Dave sent to me but being an ignorant when it comes to single driver speakers it went over my head a little.

Here's what Dave sent to me:- "...... two distinct and dissimilar treatments of the Back Loaded horns that were on display. The small and extremely elegant horn in the back room was a Fostex Fe108ez Sigma in a conical horn....Back loaded. This one has a minimal amount of stuffing. The other, the huge mother in the front room was an Alpair 12p in a Woden designed Avebury cabinet. This is a manifold Back -loaded horn with absolutely NO stuffing or packing in the lines. It is not a conical horn like the small horn....but has an exponential flare at the two ends on the back of the cabinet. It is a big sound." 

Dave's comment 'It is a big sound' really is true.  Those 6' tall speakers in Keith's front room were astonoshing in what they could do.  They were powered by a pair of 25 watt per channel Graham Slee mono blocks.   They projected a huge sound with a soundstage much wider than the speakers and almost as tall.   The range was surprising, they could do loud, they could do low and they could do do treble that a speaker without a dedicated tweeter shouldn't be able to do.   I would have liked to hear them with a little more power behind them, they are really efficient but I reckon they could take a bit more juice and respond with volume accordingly.

I didn't get much of a chance to hear the little Fostex in the back room but have to admit that they, well, I think it was this design, made a visit to my place a few weeks ago.   Big sound for a 4" driver would be the understantement of the year.   I understand that there has been some work on the cabinet which have improved them a bit more.   

I didn't take any pics so hopefully someone will add a couple to this thread.

Anyway, thanks for the day Keith, it was alot of fun.  Dave and Keith, the speakers sound terrific and are way better than I could ever have expected.   I'm glad I've retired from buying hifi as I might be swayed into looking at the big ones.

Edited by GAT474
  • Like 1

Great day

Thank you Dave and Keith

Yes Gat very unusual for keith

When he wasn't listening Dave mentioned something sbout Keith bellowing in his od age< bullshit as usual! Sorry freudian slip "mellowing" in old age

Interesting I've heard the smaller version in 3 seperate iterations in 3 house 4 rooms and they are now singing well

The big "mothers" seem to need a bit more tweaking to me yet

But it worked with the little "boys" so maybe again with "muma"!

Well know for sure when Zaph/mt3 combo is sold !

The new are different abd good

Edited by djb

Guest yamaha_man

Was very surprising the sound that came from those 3" drivers. HUGE is an understatement!.

So easy to listen to and non fatiguing. For a single driver speaker l wouldn't have believed they were capable of such a big sound unless l heard it for myself.

Anyone in the market for a single driver speaker with a tiny footprint should talk to Dave and Keithy boy and have an demo.

Cheers.

Edited by yamaha_man

Hi folks, yes if was a great afternoon on Saturday and thanks, Glen, for the detail on the single drivers and if anyone is interested, I'm sure The Rev will be more than happy to elaborate further. Of course Glen, djb and Joe were here, but there was over a dozen others SNAers that attended and I do know I saw at least a couple of those blokes taking some pics, so hopefully they can post a pic or two here in this thread. I did take a half dozen shots out in the back room, but I haven't developed them yet, but I'll post them up here in a little while this morning..................just so you can be sure we didn't make it all up!! :D

In the meantime, I'll post these couple of pics below of the big Alpairs up in the front room, that I took a couple days before the GTG.

post-105039-0-07267900-1405290733_thumb.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 3

Thanks to Keith and Dave for organising a great afternoon, good to catch up with some people I haven't seen for a while and meet some members in person for the first time.

Those little drivers sure did seem to defy the laws of physics (when they could be heard above Buzz Lightyears hynea cackle that is :P)

• Like 2

Yep, another great SNA day out for me :thumb:

Those big boys(the speakers not the guys) were perhaps a bit to big for that small room me thinks?

We'll see and hear them as they develop in time.

The little guys really did amazingly well for such a teeny weeny driver. :confused:

They should be very very interesting with a bit more tuning, I can hardly wait for that.

Thanks again Keif for a great day.

Below is a pic showing how we had the Alpairs set up on Saturday.....................

post-105039-0-31089600-1405293755_thumb.

Yes, Joz, I think they would work well and perhaps better in a larger room than my front room, but we're not talking Joz's listening room are we? :D My front room is 4 metres wide and 5.4 metres long, regular 2.4 ceiling and it opens into a foyer area behind the listening position and I have always maintained this does help the way the room sounds and behaves at certain frequencies. I have had several speakers in the front room that I felt overloaded the room bass wise, but despite how low the Alpairs dig, I don't think they overload the bass in room and in fact, they sound even better when the SPLs go up................not the case I've had with some in that room.

I note that Glen would have liked to hear them with more powerful amplification, but I think the little Slee 25W Mono Blocks [that's them on the black table in front] did an absolutely sensational job in driving these easily and I don't think the gain dial on the ME pre ever got beyond 11 oclock and believe me, that is bloody loud!!....................no headroom issues for me, but possible they would respond well to a high powered SS amp. The Slee amps BTW are SS mono blocks. I did miss the chance with Duc [@lovetube] attending to have him bring some Golden Age Audio tube amplification along..........next time mate, or we'll bring a pair to your next GTG, the little ones though, not the big Alpairs!! :D

Will come back a little later with some pics of the little Fostex loudspeakers, which I personally prefer over the big Alpairs..............it's incredible the sound we've been able to achieve with these little 3" drivers.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

Had the pleasure of venturing to Keith's gtg and first time visit to his digs and hopefully not the last (it was @@buzz lightyear both times - honest! -  or was it djb!!??) 

Met his lovely daughter and was great to catch up with the usual faces and a few new/ long time no see ones, while feasting over a bountiful table laden with a large range of impressive food.

Loved the versatility of two music zones and was highly impressed by both the small full range and large (13cm?) which was performing at an incredible level for a single driver rig - full credit to Cheeky and The Rev!

Boy, this party really started to swing after a bottle or three (boy that Rev's got some stories!  :eek: ) and I was given 3 warnings (but I'm just getting warmed up!)before @@Sierra (designated driver) could persuade me to leave!

So would like to congratulate Keith & co on creating a magical and memorable day  :party

• Like 1

Wiv no pix I reckon youse blokes are makin' all this up.

Never happened.

Definitely happened, T, here's a few pics I took in the back room on the day.

The Fostex 108s in the back room system...........

post-105039-0-67255400-1405303350_thumb.

post-105039-0-03345000-1405303430_thumb.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

Guest yamaha_man

Such a big smooth sound out of those 3" drivers, hard to believe even when listening to them.

Well worth a demo for anyone interested.

And another couple..................

The Rev explaining the intricate details of the little Fostex speakers to caddisgeek [steve]

post-105039-0-20740100-1405303650_thumb.

The food and the wine went down very well indeed..............

post-105039-0-12786900-1405303809_thumb.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

Such a big smooth sound out of those 3" drivers, hard to believe even when listening to them.

Well worth a demo for anyone interested.

Exactly, Joe, remarkable what can be achieved from this little single driver. Was good to catch up with you again on Saturday, mate.

Cheers,

Keith

Below is a pic showing how we had the Alpairs set up on Saturday.....................

attachicon.gifAlpairs in front room - July 14 002.jpg

Yes, Joz, I think they would work well and perhaps better in a larger room than my front room, but we're not talking Joz's listening room are we? :D My front room is 4 metres wide and 5.4 metres long, regular 2.4 ceiling and it opens into a foyer area behind the listening position and I have always maintained this does help the way the room sounds and behaves at certain frequencies. I have had several speakers in the front room that I felt overloaded the room bass wise, but despite how low the Alpairs dig, I don't think they overload the bass in room and in fact, they sound even better when the SPLs go up................not the case I've had with some in that room.

I note that Glen would have liked to hear them with more powerful amplification, but I think the little Slee 25W Mono Blocks [that's them on the black table in front] did an absolutely sensational job in driving these easily and I don't think the gain dial on the ME pre ever got beyond 11 oclock and believe me, that is bloody loud!!....................no headroom issues for me, but possible they would respond well to a high powered SS amp. The Slee amps BTW are SS mono blocks. I did miss the chance with Duc [@lovetube] attending to have him bring some Golden Age Audio tube amplification along..........next time mate, or we'll bring a pair to your next GTG, the little ones though, not the big Alpairs!! :D

Will come back a little later with some pics of the little Fostex loudspeakers, which I personally prefer over the big Alpairs..............it's incredible the sound we've been able to achieve with these little 3" drivers.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith.

thanks for lovely afternoon . as Joe said those little drivers really rock on the Cabinets you created . i think they will be very good with Single ended tube power amps. something's like 45 or 2A3SE

will do well on these.

till next time

Duc

Thank's Keith and Dave, as always it was a very enjoyable afternoon.

The little Foxtex speakers perform exceptionally well, they have a very good sound stage and imaging, way above what you would expect from such a small driver (Job Well done).

It's a sham I had to leave early, on the bright side I missed the weather, so got home all dry.

Cheers

Edited by handysteel

I also bore witness to the shenanigans on the day. Awesome hospitality, companionship and tunes for 7 hours straight! My pics are far inferior to Keith's so I will let his speak for all of us!

My pics are far inferior to Keith's so I will let his speak for all of us!

That's not saying much for your photographic skills you know, :D  but I appreciate your honesty and thanks for the kind words, Martin.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1