Anvil and "The story of Anvil"

Not sure if this should be in the movie section or here, but anyway.

Watched that movie last night.

I never really listened to them back in the day.

I have one of their albums on vinyl...the one with an arm holding two anvils like a dumbell...

Anyway, a few thoughts about the movie and the story itself.

Part of me feels sorry for the guys and that they "missed out" in the 80's due to bad management and so on.

That same part of me thinks that Lips is the most dedicated musician out there, doing everything and beyond to pursue his dream.

He believes in himself and his band.

You can see the passion when he plays at those empty pubs at the start of this movie.

It's what he lives for.

The other part of me thinks he's totally deluded and should have called it quits 30 years ago after their 15 minutes were up.

Heaps of bands in the same vein had a few good years but never went any further.

Seeing him trying to make those other guys remember him from the 80's was pathetic, even if a bit staged.

Notice at the end credits how it says "Metal on metal productions" or something like that?

This move was made by them, about them an for them as a last attempt at getting noticed.

Sure, they're probably selling a few CDs to their die-hard balding fans from the 80's, but they haven't "made it big" like some people seem to think.

The movie made it seem that way though.

<_<

Interested to hear what other people think.

Are there any Anvil fans here?

I think their music seems ok from what I saw in that movie.

Robb is a good drummer and Lips is good at the guitar, but his vocals are dreadful :lol:

:)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Saw this a while ago now so my memory is a bit hazy but agree with Dirty's comments. Was never a fan in the day either as apart from a few American bands (Metallica, Nuclear Assault, Slayer, SOD/MOD & Danzig) I tended to veer towards the German and European scene so know little about them apart what was shown in the documentary.

Its certainly not an uplifting doco that for sure with the low points being getting ripped off while on tour in  Europe and inter band fighting but was definitely a riveting watch none the less. Even if you dont like metal I would still recommend this to any fan of music in general.

Must give this another viewing as I almost forgot about this. Much better than Some Kind of Monster IMO.

My 80's metal listening was pretty extensive, but these guys slipped me by somehow.

Interesting to see Scott Ian, Lemmy, Slash, Lars Ulrich etc at the start of the movie praising Anvil and pretty much claiming that they (Anvil) were responsible for the whole speed/thrash metal movement.

I really think they could have been up there at the top with good management and a different singer.

The European tour was embarrassing to watch.

Dreadful "manager" and poor planning.

And poor Lips who thought that tour was gonna be "it".

:(

Re "Some kind of monster" I think I caught half of that on TV a while back.

Is that the one where they're making St Anger?

Me and a mate were talking about all of this a while back.

How, when we were kids we used to adore people like Megadeth, Metallica etc.

How we used to think thaat Blackie Lawless was his real name and that these guys lived in a cave, partied 24/7 and were pretty much from a different planet.

:lol:

You'd rarely see interviews and docos back then.

These guys existed only on vinyl and posters and pictures in magazines.

A lot of that mystique is lost now thanks to media and the internet.

Going back to the Metallica movie, seeing James Hetfield wearing glasses, doing the dishes in a well lit room.

That's as far from our pre-teen metal gods as you can get....

^_^

And don't get me started on everyone launching their own beer and wine.

<_<

But I do giggle everytime I see the KISS beer, for two reasons.

1) it's labelled "The hottest beer in the world"

2) kiss means wee in Swedish.....

;)

Yeah after watching the Anvil doco I felt quite sorry for them and hoping they didn't keep chasing the dream. Seeing all the guys who made it praising them seemed somewhat staged to me( haven't really heard or read them name dropping Anvil in other interviews..not saying they haven't but....).

Some Kind of Monster was a great watch and a great insight into band politics and relationships, props to Metallica, they knew the looked like absolute knobs but chose to release it anyway. Not too many bands would do that.

The Foo Fighters doco( I'm not much of a fan) called Back and Forth is a great watch too. Shows how much of a band/control freak Dave Grohl is among other things.

Some Kind of Monster was a great watch and a great insight into band politics and relationships, props to Metallica, they knew the looked like absolute knobs but chose to release it anyway. Not too many bands would do that.

Weeeeeell......

On the one hand that's all good and well.

On the OTHER hand, do we really care?

More to the point, is it any surprise that a bunch of guys who've been spending 30 years together, as a business (which a band essentially is) are arguing?

Add drugs, alcohol and massive egos to the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

It's really just Celebrity Big Brother......

^_^

Weeeeeell......

More to the point, is it any surprise that a bunch of guys who've been spending 30 years together, as a business (which a band essentially is) are arguing?

^_^

Why do people watch Coronation Street? If they find a bunch of fictional people living on a fictional street fascinating then watching some real life musicians interacting would surely be as interesting?

Why do people watch Coronation Street? If they find a bunch of fictional people living on a fictional street fascinating then watching some real life musicians interacting would surely be as interesting?

Apples and oranges.

And I never said it WASN'T interesting getting a behind the scenes peek.

Just that the bickering comes as no surprise.

Saw Anvil live at the Reading rock festival in 1983 , along with Sabbath , Lizzy and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

They were a good hard rocking party band who didn't take themselves seriously. ...clearly recall lips playing his guitar with a vibrator.

Still have hard n heavy , metal on metal and forged in fire on vinyl .

Quite sad to see them down on their luck.

I really enjoyed the Anvil movie, but I think history shows they were justifiably also rans. In my view their contemporaries went on to release ground breaking albums - puppets, reign in blood, even among the living is still strong - but I think they were maybe a cut or more below whilst maybe still quite enjoyable live.

Some kind of monster is a great music doco and shows quite clearly what happens when an artistic pursuit becomes a business first and foremost

Weeeeeell......

^_^

A lot of people care somewhere or the movies don't get made or widely viewed.

Sure it's no surprise but the interest is still there, we laugh at celebrities/ entertainers and their ways but en masse people buy trashy mags and watch trashy TV and it's a self perpetuating business. The more scandalous the better it is for business. No such thing as bad publicity and all that.

We just have to try our best to filter out the **** and get on with it.

As powerful a medium that music is, the sad part is it's still entertainment and is open for this type of exploitation.

My interest in Some kind was that I'd heard it was intended to be just a making of piece and morphed into something else.

I personally like to catch a look behind the scenes etc to a world I'm not overly familiar with and music docos regardless of genre(aside from fluffy self serving ones) have given me hours and hours of 'entertainment'.

'Reality' TV is something I steer well clear of due to the manipulation tactics they employ designed to create drama which has nothing to do with the reality of the situation or watching people being judged on their voices by people we all know aren't good singers themselves.

Sorry, I strayed a bit there...my names D.C and I love music documentaries.

I love music docos too, but I think a lot of them could do with less bickering and arguing.

Focus more on the process of making the album, where they get their inspiration from etc.

Live footage from "back in the day" and stuff like that.

Without a doubt, making of docos are the best in show in that genre of films especially old analogue recording sessions. Classic album series was awesome. I love watching a great band or producer showing how what we ended up with came to be.

Without a doubt, making of docos are the best in show in that genre of films especially old analogue recording sessions. Classic album series was awesome. I love watching a great band or producer showing how what we ended up with came to be.

Quite often those great things were due to chance, coincidence or the artist/producer insisting they used "that cut" which the other party didn't like....