In Melbourne next week - could bring my JLTi-modified MiniMax phono!

I'm attending a course in Melbourne, Wednesday through Friday next week (July 16-18). If someone desperately wants to audition, on Wednesday night or Thursday night, my Joe-Rasmussen-modified Eastern Electric MiniMax phono preamp, which to my ears is one of the very best phono stages I've ever heard at any price, I'm willing to bring it down. You would need to pick me up from my city hotel, say after 6, feed me, and deliver me back there well before midnight.

I believe that I am the only person with this modification or similar in the world right now, and the difference before and after the mods is phenomenal. it involves significant changes to the circuit topology, replacing the 1st stage 12AX7 by a 12AT7, and using Jantzen Superior-Z capacitors as bypass caps.

Obviously I am only going to schlep a heavy valve phono to Melbourne if I have very good reason - it means I need to take an extra piece of luggage which I could well do without. But, if you are seriously considering buying a MiniMax and sending it to Joe for upgrade, or already have a MiniMax and are wondering about having the upgrade done, I'm willing to give you an opportunity to audition.

Note that Joe is not taking new orders for anything until he returns from overseas.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

• Administrator

If this does happen, I have an as new Minimax that is completely stock. If it's on my side of town, we could also do a back to back with stock vs modded.

• Like 1

I assume from the lack of responses that I can leave my JLTi-enhanced MiniMax phono at home  :) . Let me know by tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon if you want me to bring it or

...it's too late baby, yeah it's too late. 

Edited by Warren M.
  • Like 1

Guest yamaha_man

Would loved to had compared this to my Nagra however I'll be at the new house when you arrive I'm sorry to say.