power amp sugestions

hi guys

im looking for recommendations on a power amp to run my paradigm studio 100s

they are currently being run by a yammy rx3030 in bi amp mode and i want to free up a couple of channels and don't want to go backwards

budget will be around $2000 ish and second hand is fine with me

look forward to hearing suggestions from everyone

cheers

Gav

hi guys

they are currently being run by a yammy rx3030 in bi amp mode and i want to free up a couple of channels and don't want to go backwards

cheers

Gav

gav $2k would buy you an elektra theatre 7/theatron second hand. will take all the load off your AVR and are a known good match with the paradigms :)

otherwise try rotel 1582, well within budget new :)

hi guys

cheers

Gav

if your serious, class a is the only way to go period.  xindak 8800mne mono's on ebay would blow anything away from eastwood at any cost, 200watt and a REAL 60watt pure class A,

• Like 1

if your serious, class a is the only way to go period.  xindak 8800mne mono's on ebay would blow anything away from eastwood at any cost, 200watt and a REAL 60watt pure class A,

The advantages of Class A vs. Class A/B has been massively and consistently over-stated over many years. Doug Self has proven that Class A causes MORE distortion than properly implemented Class A/B. That said, it is true that operating a poorly designed Class A/B amplifier at higher bias levels (aka: Class A) will often provide superior sound quality. IOW: Class A operation is how lazy designers resort to quality improvement. Once the 'knee' point of the output devices has been reached, there is little benefit in operating higher bias levels.

• Like 3

A small correction;Douglas Self proved that his amplifier design  biased to meet Class B conditions had lower distortion than the same amplifier biased into  Class AB (higher bias).Certainly the lowest distortion is achieved with Class A and  I agree that it is not an advantage that can be readily heard when comparing amplifiers.There are problems with Class A caused by the high operating temperatures,bias instability and the fact that the true  Class A operating point can be offset by changes in the load impedance.Many Class A amplifiers are sub-standard.

• Like 1

ended up answering my own question ...........the xindak mono blocks took the studio 100's well past the next level

very impressed with these amps thanks for the suggestions guys

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...