Artists that sound the same

Sometimes when I listen to an artist I find it hard not to compare them to another - to the point that in some songs they appear to be almost identical.

My example

Mary Gauthier and Lucinda Williams

No similarity whatever

What songs

Not looking to argue the point - happy for you to post your own examples

Not arguing just surprised

They sound seriously unalke to me

Both great writers

Lucinda Williams a great singer but MG not a great singer except when singing her own songs

Seriously not arguing but what songs

I will go and listen

Lots of singers sound like Nick Cave on first listen if they have a deep voice

The Devastations great Australian band

Jack Ladder one of my favourite Australian bands

Tinder sticks a British band

But when you listen closer the similarities fade and the singer takes over

A lot of great pop bands sound like the Beatles

Dwight Twilley spring to mind

On the other hand there are singers that imitate other singers which is another matter all together but even then if they are any good they find their own voice and make their own way

Suggest you have another listen - rather than try and prove my view by naming songs I'll just quote these various album reviews that make the comparison - I had not read any of these until you raised the query - which I see as obvious - I didn't even know the shared a producer!

Alt-country singer/songwriter Mary Gauthier exploded onto the scene in 1999 following her self-released sophomore effort, Drag Queens in Limousines. The album, which garnered her a Crossroads Silver Star and a four-star rating in Rolling Stone, had critics comparing her self-described "country noir" to the likes of Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, John Prine, and, not surprisingly, Lucinda Williams. The success of Drag Queens led to main-stage shows at festivals around the country and multiple tours in Europe.

Embraced by critics, folkies, and No Depression fans alike, Gauthier's warmly candid treatment of her fringe-dwelling subjects rings true, as it never verges on sentimental; her characters' downtrodden lives are never coldly exploited. Instead, these are people she knows, whom she met after dropping out of her Louisiana high school and stealing the family car at the age of 15, only to find herself in detox at 16 and jailed in Kansas City at 18. Her own wayward path led her to culinary school and, eventually, she opened a successful restaurant in Boston's Back Bay — Dixie Kitchen — which she sold after her music career started to take off.

Filth & Fire, Gauthier's third album, was produced by former Lucinda Williams sidekick Gurf Morlix and released in July 2002. Mercy Now was issued in 2005 by Lost Highway, followed by the Joe Henry-produced Between Daylight and Dark in 2007. Gauthier next released the autobiographical The Foundling, produced by Mike Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies, on Razor & Tie Records in 2010. The album was a breakthrough, celebrated internationally.

Mary Gauthier "Drag Queen In Limousines" (In The Black, 1999)

Comparisons to Lucinda Williams are inevitable, and Gauthier more than holds her own, infusing her songs with a similar white-hot intensity and glum, reflective passion..

Mary Gauthier "Filth & Fire" (Signature Sounds, 2003)

I made the inevitable Lucinda Williams comparison, then found my thoughts drifting to the similarly mopey, spiritually-inclined Canadian folksinger, Ferron

Mary Gauthier "Mercy Now" (Lost Highway, 2005)

are compact gems crafted with the same level of skill as Guy Clark or Lucinda Williams (back when she was still keeping things simple...)

Mary Gauthier "Between Daylight And Dark" (Lost Highway, 2007)

So, like, is Ms. Gauthier in competition with labelmate Lucinda Williams to be the biggest, saddest bummer queen in Americana music today?

In the early 70's I herd a song on the radio by Neil Young that I had never heard before

I just couldn't wait to get to the record shop to buy this new album

The song was called The Horse With No name and I have never listened to another word that idiot band sang since

On another occasion I herd a great song by Van Morrison and was raving about how good it was to the people I was with and they said no that's the singer from Jo Jo Zepp

At a later stage I heard him sing like Graeme Parker and Elvis Costello

And I used to really like Jo Jo Zepp

Years later I saw Elvis Costello in London and he played a song called So Young from memory and I kept thinking

Gee I know that song

Tuned out to be a Jo Jo Zepp song!

Edited by keyse1

Suggest you have another listen - rather than try and prove my view by naming songs I'll just quote these various album reviews that make the comparison - I had not read any of these until you raised the query - which I see as obvious - I didn't even know the shared a producer!

Alt-country singer/songwriter Mary Gauthier exploded onto the scene in 1999 following her self-released sophomore effort, Drag Queens in Limousines. The album, which garnered her a Crossroads Silver Star and a four-star rating in Rolling Stone, had critics comparing her self-described "country noir" to the likes of Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, John Prine, and, not surprisingly, Lucinda Williams. The success of Drag Queens led to main-stage shows at festivals around the country and multiple tours in Europe.

Embraced by critics, folkies, and No Depression fans alike, Gauthier's warmly candid treatment of her fringe-dwelling subjects rings true, as it never verges on sentimental; her characters' downtrodden lives are never coldly exploited. Instead, these are people she knows, whom she met after dropping out of her Louisiana high school and stealing the family car at the age of 15, only to find herself in detox at 16 and jailed in Kansas City at 18. Her own wayward path led her to culinary school and, eventually, she opened a successful restaurant in Boston's Back Bay — Dixie Kitchen — which she sold after her music career started to take off.

Filth & Fire, Gauthier's third album, was produced by former Lucinda Williams sidekick Gurf Morlix and released in July 2002. Mercy Now was issued in 2005 by Lost Highway, followed by the Joe Henry-produced Between Daylight and Dark in 2007. Gauthier next released the autobiographical The Foundling, produced by Mike Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies, on Razor & Tie Records in 2010. The album was a breakthrough, celebrated internationally.

Mary Gauthier "Drag Queen In Limousines" (In The Black, 1999)

Comparisons to Lucinda Williams are inevitable, and Gauthier more than holds her own, infusing her songs with a similar white-hot intensity and glum, reflective passion..

Mary Gauthier "Filth & Fire" (Signature Sounds, 2003)

I made the inevitable Lucinda Williams comparison, then found my thoughts drifting to the similarly mopey, spiritually-inclined Canadian folksinger, Ferron

Mary Gauthier "Mercy Now" (Lost Highway, 2005)

are compact gems crafted with the same level of skill as Guy Clark or Lucinda Williams (back when she was still keeping things simple...)

Mary Gauthier "Between Daylight And Dark" (Lost Highway, 2007)

So, like, is Ms. Gauthier in competition with labelmate Lucinda Williams to be the biggest, saddest bummer queen in Americana music today?

No I didn't either but will listen to Mercy Now which is my favourite song of hers on a record full of them

Around the early-2000s there was a wave of laidback, rootsy, folksy guitar strumming dudes that sounded kinda same-ish to me. I'm thinking Jack Johnson, the Beautiful Girls, to a lesser extent Ben Harper and John Butler, and a few others I can't remember now. My sense of them sounding the same probably stems from me never having paid much attention. Keener listeners would be more aware of nuances in style and hear differences where I hear similarities.