Graham Slee Proprius vs Valvet A1R

Hello 

I'm looking for a low powered class A amplifier to drive the uppers/mids in a bi-amping project.

I have picked up a Pass Labs Aleph30 for the purpose, but the space for my system is a bit constrained and it is a large-ish unit so I'd prefer compact components if possible. 

Both the GS Proprius and the Valvet A1R seem to fit the bill. But while both have been enthusiastically reviewed in German Hifi press, not much has been written elsewhere. 

The GSP has balanced inputs  which might be good since I am using a Lynx Hilo as the DAC which has balanced outputs. Though I can use an adapter back to single RCA.

Or does the collective wisdom think otherwise?

Have any members had experience with these amps?

Thanks

Sam

Try a gainclone type chip amp.Not so good for bass but great for midrange.

The Aleph 30 has no life or vibrancy.Perhaps the most boring sounding amplifier I have heard.The gainclones sound fast and vibrant by comparison.

Try a gainclone type chip amp.Not so good for bass but great for midrange.

The Aleph 30 has no life or vibrancy.Perhaps the most boring sounding amplifier I have heard.The gainclones sound fast and vibrant by comparison.

Thanks, I have seen a couple of the 47labs gaincards going. There is one available but without the humpty power. That sort of thing? I've also scored a ridiculously cheap RWA 30.2 to test out.

I might see if I can get the GSP in at the same time and a bit of a shoot-out.

Sent from my iphone

Thanks, I have seen a couple of the 47labs gaincards going. There is one available but without the humpty power. That sort of thing? I've also scored a ridiculously cheap RWA 30.2 to test out.

I might see if I can get the GSP in at the same time and a bit of a shoot-out.

Sent from my iphone

There are plenty of kit ones around some of which are pretty much the same as the 47 Labs.

The Jaycar kit ones are good.

If you ask in the wanted to buy section you can probably get one already made up.

Try a gainclone type chip amp. Not so good for bass but great for midrange.

+1 for Gainclone chip amp in the midrange - My Gainclone amp sounds quite similar to my Valvet Class A monos on high efficient speakers - (these are the 10w/8 Ep1's not the 25w/8 A1 you posted about)  

As Thomo said not much bass grip but a very addictive mid-range 

Edited by oceangreen17

Interesting! What gainclone are you using? A lot of the gainclone seem to be a bit too powerful for what I want. The driver are rated for 25w and at the moment they have 10 slightly grainy sounding watts running them.

& have you heard the a1's as well? Any major difference there? I like the minimal philosophy of the e1 circuit design

Sent from my iphone