WTB: Record cleaning machine

dimo

Looking for a RCM, has to be an all in one system, I live in a unit so I don't want to have to store a separate vacuum as well.

Prefer pickup in Melbourne but would consider having something shipped. Prefer to pay around $500 but willing to go up to $1k for the right cleaner.

Thanks in advance

-Dmitri

Edited by dimo

I also recommend SNA sponsor Cam from Krispy Audio for the Okki Nokki. Excellent well made RCM

And if you are after some small inconspicuous speakers see if he will do you a deal on those Maggie 20.7s he has for sale.

Looking for a RCM, has to be an all in one system, I live in a unit so I don't want to have to store a separate vacuum as well.

Prefer pickup in Melbourne but would consider having something shipped. Prefer to pay around $500 but willing to go up to $1k for the right cleaner.

Thanks in advance

-Dmitri

Hey - ah, far be it from me to question your standards of hygiene and general cleanliness etc but don't you already own a vac?

Hey - ah, far be it from me to question your standards of hygiene and general cleanliness etc but don't you already own a vac?

Heh, as far as I understood, most systems use wet/dry vacs, i do not have such a device, just a regular cyclone style vac.

I use a normal vac with my kab and it works great. The kab is about 250 posted and does the job

Interesting, my vac specifically states to not use it on any form of liquid. Is yours a bagless cyclone vac? If so this might indeed be a cheap solution.

Heh, as far as I understood, most systems use wet/dry vacs, i do not have such a device, just a regular cyclone style vac.

I use a small 240VAC vac like this.  No bag,  no cyclone...just a filter of some description.   No problems..so far.   I also used a bigger cyclone vac and didn't have any worries with water carrying over into the vac.    It depends on the particular RCM I guess.  mine is a kiwi.

https://www.masters.com.au/product/900003490/piranha-600w-hand-held-turbo-vacuum-cleaner-grey?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Good thing about this vac is that it's dirt cheap and small enough to fit inside the sideboard that the RCM sits on.   A hole in the back for the vac hose and power switch wired into the power cord means its permanently tucked away out of sight, and a lot quieter.    All the neatness and convenience of an all in one RCM for a fraction of the cost.

but...if it has to be all in one the the oki is probably your best bet.  

I use a small 240VAC vac like this.  No bag,  no cyclone...just a filter of some description.   No problems..so far.   I also used a bigger cyclone vac and didn't have any worries with water carrying over into the vac.    It depends on the particular RCM I guess.  mine is a kiwi.

https://www.masters.com.au/product/900003490/piranha-600w-hand-held-turbo-vacuum-cleaner-grey?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Good thing about this vac is that it's dirt cheap and small enough to fit inside the sideboard that the RCM sits on.   A hole in the back for the vac hose and power switch wired into the power cord means its permanently tucked away out of sight, and a lot quieter.    All the neatness and convenience of an all in one RCM for a fraction of the cost.

but...if it has to be all in one the the oki is probably your best bet.  

Thanks for the info, lots to ponder about,

As Blackangus has already alluded, the KAB EVO1 is a great little machine if you don't mind using your own wet / dry vac

I have cleaned hundreds of licorice pizzas with this device and NEVER had an issue with the liquid finding its way into the vac, despite using plenty of my own RC brew.

Here's a link

https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

For the money, these are very good indeed and easily removed all the gunk perfectly from 99.99% of records I've thrown at it. Mine had been in storage for over 2 decades and had developed some mold but you would never have known it after just one clean with this bad boy. I also used it to give a clean to a heap of records I sold here on SNA recently and I believe that effort paid off in spades as each buyer was really pleased with the clean playing surface of their discs.

While a RCM can't eliminate scratches per se, they are excellent at removing the crud that builds up over time. For me, this was the best investment and improvement I detected from a sonic perspective. As you would have gathered, I highly recommend the KAB.

Cheers

Prog

As Blackangus has already alluded, the KAB EVO1 is a great little machine if you don't mind using your own wet / dry vac

I have cleaned hundreds of licorice pizzas with this device and NEVER had an issue with the liquid finding its way into the vac, despite using plenty of my own RC brew.

Here's a link

https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

For the money, these are very good indeed and easily removed all the gunk perfectly from 99.99% of records I've thrown at it. Mine had been in storage for over 2 decades and had developed some mold but you would never have known it after just one clean with this bad boy. I also used it to give a clean to a heap of records I sold here on SNA recently and I believe that effort paid off in spades as each buyer was really pleased with the clean playing surface of their discs.

While a RCM can't eliminate scratches per se, they are excellent at removing the crud that builds up over time. For me, this was the best investment and improvement I detected from a sonic perspective. As you would have gathered, I highly recommend the KAB.

Cheers

Prog

Thanks for the info, I am actually now tossing up between the KAB EVO1 (around $240) and the Record Doctor V which is $319 which has a built in vac.

Thanks for the info, lots to ponder about,

If you do consider using a small vac like I do then you'll need to  make sure the vac is powerful enough for the RCM.    The 'Piranha' vac I have is an older model and is apparently 800W,  which is enough for the Kiwi RCM.  

Thanks for the info, I am actually now tossing up between the KAB EVO1 (around $240) and the Record Doctor V which is $319 which has a built in vac.

If the Record Doctor comes with a built in vac I imagine that would add to the weight and therefore cost more to post.

The KAB was pretty cheap from the USA as it didn't weight a ton.

If the Record Doctor comes with a built in vac I imagine that would add to the weight and therefore cost more to post.

The KAB was pretty cheap from the USA as it didn't weight a ton.

The Record Doctor is available within Australia (DecibelHifi, $319). It's $22 to ship for me, which is why I am considering it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...