I too have previously had motion sickness from first person shooters.  I just took plenty of breaks and have mostly gotten over it.

Migraine? I know some people get it from sitting too close to the screen when playing FPS games.

Does anyone recall those 3D simulator setups in shopping centers?

You know, where you get up on a platform with head gear and a belt and gun? there were a few platforms and Pterodactyl dinosaurs attacking.

I was with 2 friends and one came off and spews up as I recall... the other didn't...but both basically couldn't adapt to the environment, standing pointing gun at ceiling and floor mostly :)

I felt at home in it :wacko:

With PC gaming heaps used to get headaches due to poor refresh rates on their CRT monitors. Another issue is we avoid blinking while gaming, eyes dry out and are strained.

Edited by ortofun

My poor old system needs an upgrade, but nothing in the near future, it was cranking 3 years ago when I built it.

I7 2600k @ 4.6ghz (air cooled)

16gb rip jaws X

Asus 6870

2x Samsung Evo 120gb ssd

4x WD black 1Tb

1x WD blue 500gb

1x WD green 1tb

Running

Osx 10.9

Win 7 Ultimate x64

Windows Xp

Mostly use for:

BF4

Plex server

Web development.

Looks like my CPU has died, so it would be a new mobo, memory and CPU as its a socket 775 Core 2 duo Q9550.

Can't afford to rebuild, so stuck with my laptop.

On the up side I now have a SATA3 SSD 120Gb USB 3 external drive, I used the OS drive from the gaming PC and put in in a good quality external USB3 case.

Leftover bits are:

4Gb DDR2 800 RAM

1Tb WD Green HDD

Nvidia GTX275 graphics card

650 watt cooler master power supply

Termaltake Bach V case

Not sure if the mobo is any good or if the CPU dying has caused any damage to it.

CPU cause of death was the thermal paste drying out, lesson learned - check the paste every few years.

Does anyone recall those 3D simulator setups in shopping centers?

You know, where you get up on a platform with head gear and a belt and gun? there were a few platforms and Pterodactyl dinosaurs attacking.

I was with 2 friends and one came off and spews up as I recall... the other didn't...but both basically couldn't adapt to the environment, standing pointing gun at ceiling and floor mostly :)

I felt at home in it :wacko:

With PC gaming heaps used to get headaches due to poor refresh rates on their CRT monitors. Another issue is we avoid blinking while gaming, eyes dry out and are strained.

Yes I did have a similar experience with an old VR setup at an arcade, got very queasy very quickly.

Not sure I will ever I try the Oculus setup, for me it would be a waste I think. Will have to see how they go improving the tech over time.

Looks like my CPU has died, so it would be a new mobo, memory and CPU as its a socket 775 Core 2 duo Q9550.

On the up side I now have a SATA3 SSD 120Gb USB 3 external drive, I used the OS drive from the gaming PC and put in in a good quality external USB3 case.

Leftover bits are:

4Gb DDR2 800 RAM

1Tb WD Green HDD

Termaltake Bach V case

Not sure if the mobo is any good or if the CPU dying has caused any damage to it.

CPU cause of death was the thermal paste drying out, lesson learned - check the paste every few years.

RIP Batty's CPU :(

• 2 weeks later...

Played quite a few hours of Starcraft2 last night, 2v2 with my uncle as partner, five wins vs humans, with four losses. Moved our ranking into the top 25 of bronze level.

Love SC2 but I am not good vs humans, too slow to think on my feet if you know what I mean.

I know it is not a good strategy but I sure do love a big row of seige tanks decimating all ground troups silly enough to come within range (again only works vs AI)

Leftover bits are:

4Gb DDR2 800 RAM

1Tb WD Green HDD

Termaltake Bach V case

The CPU?

How did that happen, if the paste dried out it would have first become unstable due to heat...long before death, never seen one die the way you mention :(

Have you tried the CPU in a known good mobo?

Edited by ortofun

• 2 weeks later...

Love SC2 but I am not good vs humans, too slow to think on my feet if you know what I mean.

I know it is not a good strategy but I sure do love a big row of seige tanks decimating all ground troups silly enough to come within range (again only works vs AI)

My uncle & 2v2 team mate plays Terran and uses tanks like that too with a marine marauder ball to back them up.

We got a promotion to gold recently, and I made gold for 1v1 too!

• 1 month later...

Its been decades in the making, but finally the latest Elite pc game is nearing release, beta is available and the game is looking cool on the various vids up n round.

https://store.zaonce.net/

I played this to death on the Amiga 500 back in the day, planning on some solid flight time in the future too.

• Like 1

Its been decades in the making, but finally the latest Elite pc game is nearing release, beta is available and the game is looking cool on the various vids up n round.

https://store.zaonce.net/

I played this to death on the Amiga 500 back in the day, planning on some solid flight time in the future too.

Have pre-ordered the Mercenary edition at $64 Aus. Played that game to death back in the day on an old Amstrad CPC464. Just need an upgraded video card, voice control and decent HOTAS setup ... oh and an Oculus Rift. :)