Jazz: Currently Spinning

Sun Ra - Astro Black

Reissued LP on Impulse!....? er no this is supposed to be an unauthorised German pressing. Anyway.

Sunny was so stylish, just check those threads. Love this album, and no matter how far out in space it gets, there is always a sense or feeling of a joyful grounding presence in His music.

13130_EXTRA_large.jpeg?v=1427090497

R-996671-1259614379.jpeg.jpg

Edit: listening to side two again (The Cosmo Fire Parts 1-3) before bed, man this track does burn, but Ronnie Boykins! What he did for the Arkestra during his tenure is beyond measure. I didn't matter what Ronnie was playing, he always made it swing like one thing.

Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 5

Billie Holiday ‎– All Or Nothing At All. World Record Club ‎– R-02135 Australia 1975.

Sensational recording, look at the credits!

Credits

Bass – Joe Mondragon

Drums – Alvin Stoller

Guitar – Barney Kessel

Piano – Jimmy Rowles

Producer – Norman Granz

Saxophone [Tenor] – Ben Webster

Trumpet – Harry Edison

Vocals – Billie Holiday

All Or Nothing At All (Vinyl, LP, Club Edition) album cover

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kafunis said:

Nice one Mick ^ That must sound good !? I ' m playing a new one for me The Great Jazz Trio with Jackie McLean-New Wine In Old Bottles .

Notice Steve Gadd making another appearance on this thread. He really was one of the "go to" drummers on the scene during that era.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dave O))) said:

Kuzu-Hiljaisuus

Preordered this on vinyl with a bunch of other titles from Monofonus/Astral Spirits. This MP3 stream sounds amazing can't wait for the wax.

http://rempisdorjidamon.bandcamp.com/album/hiljaisuus

Dave Rempis on sax

Tashi Dorji on guitar

Tyler Damon on drums

ddb32dbb327b2da2f9ce9916d21cd958.jpg

I pre ordered too. But the US $22 shipping on the bandcamp site is a killer, so looked and found it cheaper to ship elsewhere.

• Like 2