Andythiing's music room

Next you'll be wanting the Duntech's back. :mad:   I think they're around here somewhere - I'll have a look tomorrow. ;)

Actually the prospect of a new music room chez Thiing is pretty exciting.  Are you going to do a Luc and do something really out there decor-wise or stay more traditional?  Maybe wood panelling, leather sofa, dark wood bookcases and plush carpet for a club-type atmosphere to match the class of the Duntech's?

In any case, it'll be fun to see it evolve and turn into something you've been anticipating for quite a while.  Really looking forward to hogging the sweet spot after it all comes together. :thumb:    

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 1

Same house Grumpy/Keith - we have done some extensions and the music room is where our old main bedroom was. Ill update the progress of paiting, carpets and fit out.

And yes ive still got my shed collection but its not moving into this room :-)

Moved the Duntechs in - started work on my centre bench - nice slab of Oregon 350mm x 150mm - hope it will be a nice centrepiece when im finished :-) ps I grabbed this bit of timber from the dump !!!!!

post-105554-0-74412200-1396182527_thumb.

post-105554-0-39762200-1396182555_thumb.

post-105554-0-91279900-1396182577_thumb.

• Like 11

Loving it Andy, those Duntechs look massive! Can you remind me what the rooms dims are? What are you plans for curtains' I'd go as heavy as possible as it will make a massive difference to how well the speakers image especially front to back.

Cheers

And you just had to go with that bargain-basement electrician - I told you there was a reason he was so cheap! :mad:

But at least I think you're probably right about that shelf being strong enough :rolleyes:..............and hopefully the Duntech's can sneak just a bit further out of the corners.  I'm guessing a lot of experimenting with positioning and room treatments is on the cards - could be fun, especially if you get a result that sounds really good.

It's nice to see it all coming together and I'm looking forward to having a listen - I'm only a little bit scared of electrocution. ;) 

• Like 1

Yes the one big problem I have is the doors mean I'm unable to bring the speakers further out into the room - this was a design element that was unfortunately fixed. They sound OK where they are but I need to look at some serious room treatment in the corners.

Mondie no curtains as the layout won't allow them - going for a blind - it won't be that heavy - not sure what to do about that except perhaps some acoustic treatment like in Tonys shed that I could move into position for my serious listening sessions.

Quite a few compromises I have to contend with - but hopeful I can make it all work in the end.

I'm under pressure at home to move my other speakers into this room - I keep saying I want my music room to have clean lines and remain uncluttered :-)

Edited by andythiing
  • Like 2

Yeah mate you need to come up with some kind of temporary treatment that can go over the window for when you want to shut yourself away and disappear for a few hours. A few blankets even hung from permanent mounts on the window frame would help a lot. Some sound treatments that fit the window opening and can be easily fitted and removed would be even better.

I can imagine the pressure for all your 'stuff' to make its way into the room :)

• Like 1

Some treatments that fit snugly into the windows was what I had in mind as well - I thought I was being generous leaving the 2 sets of wharfedales in the lounge room - apparently it's not negotiable - I think Tony has some spare room now - perhaps they could holiday in hahndorf :-)

If your room is rectangular in shape,  try placing the duntechs on the long wall. Put a sliding door in place of the current one.  cheers.

Edited by kab

Andy, if the doors are an issue with placement, you could at least see if you  get a much better sound with the speakers further out from the wall.

If so, there are a lot of possibilities to consider:

• moving the doorways
  • hanging the doors so they open the other way (hinges from L to R or vice versa)
  • hanging the doors so they open into the adjacent rooms
  • retrofitting sliding doors (a la luc)
  • bifold doors
  • accordion doors
  • who needs doors anyway? - share all that great music with the family :rolleyes:

I'll bring a some tools with me when I come around and we can try a few options. ;) 

• Like 3