Australian music recommendations on vinyl

I bought this on Shane's recommendation 

post-110730-0-71982200-1393651096_thumb.

Scott & Charlene's Wedding - Any Port In A Storm - 2013 - LP

From the FBI Radio website:

"Scott & Charlene’s Wedding is such an undeniably Australian affair that it’s entertaining to see the international comparisons roll in".

They then go on to compare them to Twerps, Dick Diver and B!tch Prefect (great name, huh?). I'd add Courtney Barnett to that list too, as Craig Darmody's lyrics tell his stories in a similar wandering, laidback style. Good stuff. 

• Like 1

A bit more mainstream than most of the artists mentioned here, I recently picked up the first three You Am I albums at JB's. Cracking band with a polarizing frontman in Tim Rogers.

JB's have had a fair range of newish and older oz bands in stock. Flumes LP sounds great if you're into the newer, electro produced stuff, Boy and Bear also etc.

They also have the new Go Betweens best of double LP, which I should go and aquire and get familiar with. A very good friend of mine was the driving force behind it being compiled :)

• Like 2

Anyone have this album or even heard of them?  Vessels:Makers Of The Dead Travel Fast

I heard a track from it on the Vinyl countdown on ABC las Thu, You can hear it too >>

Track Title: Tael of a Saeghors
Artist: MAKERS OF THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST
7" Title: Tael of a Saeghors
Composer: Makers of the Dead Travel Fast
Duration: 4:51
Record Co.: M Squared
CD Number: M 2004

I wanted to go and buy it if I could find it but look at the prices they're asking for it !!! Like Wow!

Mark

have you heard the Jagwar Mar track Come Save Me played at 33 instead of 45?

very cool and makes the track seem like a Beck track :D

going to pick up Jagwar Ma next week from red eye

Hi Shane, sorry missed your post previously. No have not heard it but I enjoyed it. Reminds me of sitting around with my mates in the late 70s listening to a JJ Cale 45/12inch of Cocaine on 33 and having a few spiffs. As poor uni students couldn't afford the stuff the song was about.
  • Like 1

That is one of the best songs

It's on my playlist

I hope you like the record

If not don't tell me

I will feel guilty

I am impressed that you actually went out and bought records talked about here

Long before the internet I used to do the same after reading Rolling Stone which used to be a great magazine

Happy listening

I grabbed Halfway and Jack Ladder, thanks for recommending. I have been telling all my mates to get the Jack Ladder album, Hurtsville. What a top album and don't know how I'd missed this.

Halfway didn't quite grab me on the first couple of listens, but put it on this morning and really enjoyed it. Great stories/lyrics. Had my grabbing the lyric sheet. I remember all the racing stories they refer to. Anyone else have a noisy copy of vinyl though? I have not cleaned mine yet but both side crackly from start to finish. Hopefully a clean makes a difference.

Off to Redeye shortly to pick up Lower Plenty. Had to order it in last weekend. Wonder what impact SNA is having on record sales? Eg Ron S Peno's albums, plus a number of others in this thread. Good stuff, keep up the suggestions guys.

Edited by Viognier

I grabbed Halfway and Jack Ladder, thanks for recommending. I have been telling all my mates to get the Jack Ladder album, Hurtsville. What a top album and don't know how I'd missed this.

Halfway didn't quite grab me on the first couple of listens, but put it on this morning and really enjoyed it. Great stories/lyrics. Had my grabbing the lyric sheet. I remember all the racing stories they refer to. Anyone else have a noisy copy of vinyl though? I have not cleaned mine yet but both side crackly from start to finish. Hopefully a clean makes a difference.

Off to Redeye shortly to pick up Lower Plenty. Had to order it in last weekend. Wonder what impact SNA is having on record sales? Eg Ron S Peno's albums, plus a number of others in this thread. Good stuff, keep up the suggestions guys.

hey Mark,  you took my copy of Halfway!!  :D    Redeye have no vinyl left.    I had it on a list for my wife to get next week, as she did not work this week.  Hopefully RedEye can still get a copy .

I don't recall my Jack ladder being noisy.  I'll have another listen and let you know if it is.

I remember buying my first Ride lp Nowehere and I played on 33 instead of 45 before I bought their next 2 lp and said WTF.  DOH!   I actually like it on 33  :P 

Anyway, Sounds like the Aussie recommendations word of mouth is working, at least a little.

hey Mark, you took my copy of Halfway!! :D Redeye have no vinyl left. I had it on a list for my wife to get next week, as she did not work this week. Hopefully RedEye can still get a copy .

I don't recall my Jack ladder being noisy. I'll have another listen and let you know if it is.

I remember buying my first Ride lp Nowehere and I played on 33 instead of 45 before I bought their next 2 lp and said WTF. DOH! I actually like it on 33 :P

Anyway, Sounds like the Aussie recommendations word of mouth is working, at least a little.

Hi Shane, it's my (or should I say yours) Halfway that's noisy. Jack Ladder is fine.

I am sure many of us have done the 33/45 swap by accident. My Nowhere is a 33 so can't experiment with that one.

Hi Shane, it's my (or should I say yours) Halfway that's noisy. Jack Ladder is fine.

I am sure many of us have done the 33/45 swap by accident. My Nowhere is a 33 so can't experiment with that one.

DOH,  my mistake.  Going Blank Again, the album and my mind.  :eek:   I bought this before I bought Nowhere.   2lp set that should be played @ 45 :D

• Like 1

A couple of Aussie albums picked up from Redeye today (actually yesterday now as just got home from an excellent Big Scary gig- mentioned earlier in this thread). I had been waiting for Lower Plenty to come in. And also picked up the reissue of Died Pretty - Lost, like the Ron S Peno albums that have had plenty of love on SNA this is also a limited 300 copies and was released this week. Redeye had a box of them on the floor so I suspect the got their fair share of the 300 copies. No chance to listen to as yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Shining Bird on Friday night playing at Art Bar at the MCA. A bit of a tough space as it is a bit boomy where they set up the stage, which was also small especially for these guys. Having said that a very impressive set. Definitely worth checking out live if you have a chance, as is the album.

• Like 1

Mojo Juju

I really like her smoky 40's-burlesque-bar-on-the-edge-of-a-dusty-town style ( have bought both the cd and vinyl ) but had a good laugh regardless at the following review:

"Outrageous as it sounds, it is no stretch at all to say that Mojo Juju would sit comfortably in the company of vocalists as epic as Billie Holiday, Nina Simone and Bessie Smith," states Mojo's press release. I don't know if "outrageous" is the word I would use…ridiculous, egotistical, deluded, embarrassing, all good substitutes. Her frumpy vocal stylings and plodding musical accompaniment well-suited to dinner theatre but ill-equipped to breach the walls of popular culture barely scrape the heels of Duffy and Amy Winehouse let alone Nina Simone. (I'm sorry, she's probably a lovely bird, but if you tickle the gorilla you're going to get punched in the face.)

http://www.beat.com.au/music/mojo-juju-horse-named-regret

Edited by wim
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Caught the train to Redeye @ lunch and well and truly had a Peaches overdose (too soon?) on vinyl - that I now must smuggle into the house. :)

Thanks to all that recommended lp's on my list and maybe a few will inspire a few more Aussie purchases :thumb:

Dick Diver - New Start Again - loved their 2nd album, just had to pick up the first from the Go-Betweens love child

Jagmar Ma - Howlin  2lp set - 

Jen Cloher - In Blood Memory -

Halfway  - Any Old Love 

Twerps - self titled - some great lofi garage

HTRK - Psychic 9-5 Club -  as recommended by several

Bit-ch Prefect - Big Time - lo-fi indie-pop & loose garage-rock

St Helens - Heavy Profession - used CD, recommended by my BIL.Diced art-punk 'n' jaundiced rock with a real honey playing in the band.

Edited by turntable
  • Like 3

This is not available on record so not sure if you are interested

This is Anne McCue

Try and get it on cd and listen to this song

Steel guitar and music is so incredible that you may or may not like the cd but when you hear this song the first thing you do will be play it again

Especially on a good stereo

Not strictly country but in that vicinity

Alternate country?

post-141610-0-52417900-1399530748_thumb.

Caught the train to Redeye @ lunch and well and truly had a Peaches overdose (too soon?) on vinyl - that I now must smuggle into the house. :)

Thanks to all that recommended lp's on my list and maybe a few will inspire a few more Aussie purchases :thumb:

Dick Diver - New Start Again - loved their 2nd album, just had to pick up the first from the Go-Betweens love child

Jagmar Ma - Howlin 2lp set -

Jen Cloher - In Blood Memory -

Halfway - Any Old Love

Twerps - self titled - some great lofi garage

HTRK - Psychic 9-5 Club - as recommended by several

Bit-ch Prefect - Big Time - lo-fi indie-pop & loose garage-rock

St Helens - Heavy Profession - used CD, recommended by my BIL.Diced art-punk 'n' jaundiced rock with a real honey playing in the band.

Nice haul there Shane. A few i dont know. I was actually in Redeye just after 1 today. Grabbed the new Chet Faker on vinyl. Escaped lightly and I have no one to have to sneak purchases by. I did order Nils Frahm -Spaces on vinyl though.

Nice haul there Shane. A few i dont know. I was actually in Redeye just after 1 today. Grabbed the new Chet Faker on vinyl. Escaped lightly and I have no one to have to sneak purchases by. I did order Nils Frahm -Spaces on vinyl though.

Mark, We must have missed each other by minutes.  I left about 5 past.  :lol:

Had a quick listen to Chet, and a bit too much sax. At least in the mood I was in then.

Mark, We must have missed each other by minutes. I left about 5 past. :lol:

Had a quick listen to Chet, and a bit too much sax. At least in the mood I was in then.

You won't like Chet as its on clear vinyl :)

Sounds OK though. Went to a talk at 301 on the weekend by the guy who mixed it, and he told the story of it being finished. Was listening to it in the car on the way home. Didn't like the snares on Talk Is Cheap as they were too forward in the car. Drove back to the studio at 2am and remixed it to drop the snares down a touch. Still wondering if it's good or bad. Good as he is a perfectionist or bad as he not only uses the big Genelec in the studio but the car and his phone to check check his mixes. He did say he enjoyed working on the album as he really liked the music.

I have been a Chet fan for a while based on his live shows and the EP, so good to finally hear this on vinyl, which was delayed compared to cd.

I don't know Bit-ch Perfect or St Helen's. Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Bit-ch Prefect - Big Time

On Bedroomsucksrecords who now have a global distribution arrangement with Fire records.

Jangly lo fi pop rock. Not dissimilar to Pavement meets Television meets early Cure bass lines.

I like it, a lot. I will be getting their 2nd/current album Bird Nerds

post-105087-0-15571500-1399673539_thumb.

Edited by TT030
  • Like 1

Hi Shane, sounds interesting might see if I can listen on spotify/bandcamp/soundcloud etc.

I have to ask what's with TT030? You are not trying to tell us you just had a 30th birthday are you?

And here's an album that fits into the Aussie Vinyl though it was a US only RSD release evidently. Grabbed mine at Redeye.

Below from Nick web site

WEST OF MEMPHIS RECORD STORE DAY RELEASE

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis’ score for West of Memphis will be released on limited white vinyl for Record Store Day (USA only) this Saturday.

Nick and Warren wrote an original score for West of Memphis, a 2012 documentary film produced by Peter Jackson and Damien Echols, and directed by Academy Award nominated filmmaker Amy J. Berg.

‘West of Memphis is a meticulous autopsy of a monstrous crime and its vast and terrible reverberations, beautifully crafted by Amy Berg. The crucial document on social injustice.’ Nick Cave

There is also a limited edition exclusive Record Store Day figure of Nick Cave available in select RSD US stores.

3y3u8udy.jpg

Knowing the story behind the movie this music is absolutely haunting. Warren's playing in particular is so evocative. Dark, brooding, haunting all come to mind. Spine tingling stuff, but in the sense of a creepy movie spine tingling. BTW it's just instrumental.

I think i may have posted this before in the RSD thread What I find really interesting about this album is that so much of it is on Push The Sky Away in another guise. Given the film was released in 2012 I wonder what came first. Were they working on the soundtrack and decided to use some of it in PTSA or had PTSA been a work in progress for a number of years and they used some it for the movie? Either way I love this record for the imagery it creates. I now have to track down the movie to watch, and also source out the other film scores they have done together.

Recommended but comes with a white vinyl warning and it is a little noisy, but the content easily overcomes that for me.

• Like 1