Jump to content

Is this normal?


Recommended Posts

Just checking if this is considered normal?

 

I picked up a Thor PS10 after having some concerns with the power supply here and it seems to be sitting at 300 give or take. 
 

 

 

IMG_1221.jpeg

Edited by Special K
Link to comment
Share on other sites



No, that is way out of spec - AU is officially 230V +/- 10% (was initially -6% to +10% when first switched from 240V).

 

Call your network provider urgently - if it's really 300V mains, there may be a real fire risk.

 

If you have solar panels try isolating them and see if the voltage drops.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites



12 minutes ago, Special K said:

Yeah ok. Going to contact the provider asap. 

The Thor PS10 might also produce a bit of fan noise if it is regulating down from 300 to 240. Bit odd that the Load/Amps (ampere) is showing 0.0 - are you not currently running the Luxman?

 

300...yikes

For comparison...from two minutes ago...thor.jpg.f9b2912dabbbd9417a1c96d6fef86f97.jpg

 

Edited by Steff
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was going to test it first to make sure it was ok as I just got it.  This is an older unit, Not sure if has a fan...

 

I have now plugged a Sansui 6500 in and that has not changed any of the readings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Deepthought said:

Are you sure the unit is working correctly? If so, I'd be switching everything off until of got the issue looked at! 

well the output seems pretty spot on....

 

I also moved it around to two different locations in the home and got the same results. 

 

Will be taking it over to a Neighbours to have a look at and test there as well.

Edited by Special K
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites



2 minutes ago, muon* said:

These can tell you what is being output from the wall socket.

 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-energy-cost-electrical-meter_p4410270

 

300vac is crazy, highest I have seen any one report is in the 260's.

Thanks Ian, Once I have tested it at a Neighbours place I may have a further look at it. Appreciate it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



23 minutes ago, Steff said:

Is there an easy & safe way to measure voltage at the power socket @andyr ?

 

There are two ways that I know of, Steff (that are safe - although some folk here would say that because I am not a licenced electrician ... me doing #1 cannot be safe):

  1. stick the prongs on the ends of your meter leads into the '/' and '\' slots in your power point (with the meter set to 'AC volts'.
  2. use a 'Watts Clever' device - I think I bought mine from Jaycar.  This is a very useful device because it can also read how many watts are being drawn by the device plugged into it.  :smile:

(The device linked to by Ian appears to be similar.)

 

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

There are two ways that I know of, Steff (that are safe - although some folk here would say that because I am not a licenced electrician ... me doing #1 cannot be safe):

  1. stick the prongs on the ends of your meter leads into the '/' and '\' slots in your power point (with the meter set to 'AC volts'.
  2. use a 'Watts Clever' device - I think I bought mine from Jaycar.  This is a very useful device because it can also read how many watts are being drawn by the device plugged into it.  :smile:

(The device linked to by Ian appears to be similar.)

 

Thanks Andy. As you know I am far from gifted with things like this... So I may just head down to Bunnings this evening and report back! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Thanks Andy. As you know I am far from gifted with things like this... So I may just head down to Bunnings this evening and report back! 

 

Good luck, Keith!  👍

 

Looking at the specs on the Bunnings site:

 

image.png.92e006c9881dcb798dc783140fb518f6.png

 

... this Arlec one appears to provide the same features as my 'Watts Clever' unit.  I suggest you should look on-line before going there - just to make sure they have them in stock.  :smile:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



I would not muck around,  report it immediately with the picture you just posted to the supplier.  At 300VAC has the potential to cook components.   Forget going to a neighbours or anyone in the area because they will be on the same supply line, especially if its in an apartment block.   With smart meters they will be able to determined on the spot via remote monitoring and tell you exactly whats going on. In the meantime leave expensive gear disconnected until they confirmed its within acceptable levels.  When they do come, they will be asking the question has anything failed, dont say "no" say its under investigation.

 

 

8 hours ago, Special K said:

 

No solar panels here however I do live in a block of units.  So high density. 

 

Biggest false assumption,  solar PV pushing grid voltage high is rare,  and if it was the case there would be something seriously wrong with the grid.   in my case,  high mains voltage was occuring at night and not during the day, @263VAC they took all day to replaced something in the street to get it back to 230-240.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, andyr said:

 

Good luck, Keith!  👍

 

Looking at the specs on the Bunnings site:

 

image.png.92e006c9881dcb798dc783140fb518f6.png

 

... this Arlec one appears to provide the same features as my 'Watts Clever' unit.  I suggest you should look on-line before going there - just to make sure they have them in stock.  :smile:

 

Thanks Andy. Definitely!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I would not muck around,  report it immediately with the picture you just posted to the supplier.  At 300VAC has the potential to cook components.   Forget going to a neighbours or anyone in the area because they will be on the same supply line, especially if its in an apartment block.   With smart meters they will be able to determined on the spot via remote monitoring and tell you exactly whats going on. In the meantime leave expensive gear disconnected until they confirmed its within acceptable levels.  When they do come, they will be asking the question has anything failed, dont say "no" say its under investigation.

 

 

 

Biggest false assumption,  solar PV pushing grid voltage high is rare,  and if it was the case there would be something seriously wrong with the grid.   in my case,  high mains voltage was occuring at night and not during the day, @263VAC they took all day to replaced something in the street to get it back to 230-240.

Seems like my neighbor had the same reading. He did a bit more and power cycled a few plugs and even the mains at home. Same results. 
 

I called the provider and they said to check the house by a licensed electrician to ensure there was nothing wrong with the house wiring.
 

I will head down to Jaycar and pick up one of those gadgets to test it just in case and even take the Thor to another destination away from home to test it to make sure it is not the actual unit itself. 
 

All this on the assumption that the unit is working well and as it should. 

   

Edited by Special K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Special K said:

All this on the assumption that the unit is working well and as it should. 

 

Worth calling Thor to enquire whether the display panel board can be faulty on older units. Typically there would be some little variation of +-1 volt during the day, or at least after the decimal point.

If the display shows 300v without change in various locations we can reasonably infer that the display isn't working properly.

 

Edited by Steff
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
To Top