Aksa Mayer Mark 1V Review

Have been a fan of Hugh Dean's creations since 2003 when I built his 100n amp kit, this soon replaced my Naim 250 monos and Metaxas Solitaire amps. I then upgraded the amp to + specs and subsequently purchased his reliable Soraya amp which I used for many years.

Last year I had the opportunity to audition his new Titan monos with my system and they did certain things through the mids/highs that were an improvement on the Sorayas.  I then visited Hugh in Melbourne and compared the Titans to his top of the range Mayas Mark 3's. I then bought the Maya modules and installed them in to cases that previously housed Holton amps with 80,000uf of capacitor banks per side (ie I needed plenty of room)

Of course I knew Hugh is in continuous R&D and have replaced the 3's with the 4's about 8 weeks ago.

On first turn on without warmup/running in or adjusting bias  etc I immediately emailed Hugh with just the words "Wow", I thought I would now review them after many weeks of running them hard each day. BTW these are the highest powered amps I have ever used with my modded Vaf I93's.

The first thing I noticed was quite a different design/layout of the boards, as the left and right power supplies are on the boards they are quite compact, also noticed increased power supply capacitance (40,000uf per module) and a larger Wima 3,5uf input cap.

These amps are dead quiet, they seem to handle all genres of music with aplomb, from quiet accoustic music to energetic electronic with deep base, voices are pure and in front of you, detail is all there without any sibilance, bass control and power is to die for driving the 4 Vaf woofers with ease and to the depths of the lowest house shaking realms.  Piano, cellos sound so realistic as though in the room, I could go on and on but I am a happy chappy and so glad I made the decision to upgrade.

BTW I have never seen such great support and customer service that is provided by Hugh i.e. his many follow up emails asking how the amps are going etc etc.

Some pics -

IMG_5330.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5328.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5326.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

IMG_5323.JPG

Edited by dennist
  • Like 6

His website seems to have been under construction since December. Do you have a current website address? Just browsing so emailing seems a bit OTT

Ian, yes last time I looked it was active, looks like it's out of action during "reconstruction" ATM, Hugh might give an update when he sees this.

24 minutes ago, dennist said:

Ian, yes last time I looked it was active, looks like it's out of action during "reconstruction" ATM, Hugh might give an update when he sees this.

Hi Dennis - great review of your new Maya IV monoblocs.  👍

I notice the equipment description in your signature says:

• Soraya mono amps for bass, and
  • Maya mono amps for mids/treble.

Given the Mayas are twice the output of the Sorayas ... I am wondering whether you've tried connecting the amps, the other way round?

Because I would've thought the extra watts would drive your VAF woofers better!

Andy, I need to change my signature, yes after much experimentation I did at one stage use the Sorayas for bass with the previous Mayers, the new Mark 4's have fantastic and improved bass now so the Sorayas have been removed.

My Sorayas had very high bias and 6  x 100uf Blackgate caps  per channel bypassing the power supply which dramatically improved their bass performance at the time, so it's not always about wattage IMO. BTW the Sorayas were just cruising with the Vaf's  and I myself was surprised at the time how good the bass was with them in biamp mode.

• Like 1