The "best" way to stream Spotify (for my use)

I am trying to put together a system to stream Spotify. 

Currently I use Squeezebox Touches (x3) and control them with iPeng. That works well, but I want a slightly more robust solution for the other members of the family to use. The SBT works just fine for me, but the interface is a little clunky and my family has never really taken to it. 

Ideally, it would have a touch screen. I am thinking about either a very small computer with a small touch screen, or even perhaps one of the many touch screen laptops that seem to have hit the market. 

Any suggestions? How would you approach it? Assume USB out into the DAC. 

Alistair 

Alastair, 

Think that the Spotify PC (and probably Mac) version seems to be far more comprehensive, and more conducive to exploring content than the spotify that you get on the squeezebox itself or the android controllers. Have found myself playing around on the computer, or android tablet, sticking stuff into a playlist, then listening off the squeezebox, into the hifi. The spotify android interface that I have, is pretty much the same as the squeezebox, but more portable, and you can use headphones with it. The way I do it is pretty clunky... and possibly better off plugging the pc into the dac instead, for the better interface. Loads of stuff on the pc app not on the spotify squeezebox. (even language lessons !!) Would love to hear of any better solutions... (eg, is it possible to stream Spotify output from a pc into the squeezebox wirelessly?)

Cheers, Piya

Alistair, having multiple apps for the SBT on both the iPad and Android tablet, I find Squeezepad on the iPad the easiest to use for Spotify.

It is still easier to build and modify playlists on the PC due to the restrictions in the SBT Spotify app.

Edited by wolster

Spotify also has some cool remotes in the app store mate..I use one for my MBA - which is really good.

I find the ipad app very handy and useful- wife has no issues using it.

It is a vast improvemet to the iPhone app.

As I understand it, Alistair is playing Spotify through a SB Touch. Doesn't that mean he needs a SB Touch app on the iPad or Android tablet to control Spotify, or do I have that wrong.

If I could use the Spotify app on the iPad to control the SBT then that would be great, but I doubt it would work.

Edited by wolster

Had a friend's iPad running 30-pin connector to USB and on to AMR DAC. Surprised at how good Spotify sounded. You should try in your main system Al for somewhat of a surprise...

Cheers,

EK

Ed - a good idea mate, especially as I have an old iPad I could deploy in that role. I'll give it a whirl. 

Al 

As I understand it, Alistair is playing Spotify through a SB Touch. Doesn't that mean he needs a SB Touch app on the iPad or Android tablet to control Spotify, or do I have that wrong.

If I could use the Spotify app on the iPad to control the SBT then that would be great, but I doubt it would work.

I think Al was looking for an alternative to the SBT - yup the apps work with a computer..

Had a friend's iPad running 30-pin connector to USB and on to AMR DAC. Surprised at how good Spotify sounded. You should try in your main system Al for somewhat of a surprise...

Cheers,

EK

You may need the CCK and/or a USB hub to make this work depending on your DAC but yes then you can use the Spotify app or any iPad app to play music.

Sorry, I have been telling lies... Spotify Android is a whole lot better than Spotify Squeezebox in terms of functionality - discover, browse and radio are available, and so make the Squeezebox offering look lame.. maybe a bit off topic, I think only recent iterations of Android can output audio to USB. 

Cheers, piya

Sorry, I have been telling lies... Spotify Android is a whole lot better than Spotify Squeezebox in terms of functionality - discover, browse and radio are available, and so make the Squeezebox offering look lame.. maybe a bit off topic, I think only recent iterations of Android can output audio to USB.

Cheers, piya

That is true of the 'Official' Squeezebox plugin but the Triode plugin has Radio, Playlists etc. I assume that's what Al has been using? Still not as graphical as the IOS or Mac/PC Spotify app...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Guest dr_carl

Easiest solution I found before I bought a streamer was $50 Bluetooth receiver connected to my amp inputs. ON paper should sound bad, in real life was perfectly fine. All my non tech wife had to do was pair her phone and good to go.

• 1 month later...