Good valve amps

Hi All

I'm from NSW and currently building up my system with a focus on playing vinyl on my Linn SondekLP12.  Looking at different valve power amps that are good sounding and good value for money. From  some research the Willsenton R8 looks like a good starting point. Any other suggestions or advice on what to consider in my search?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2024 at 6:35 PM, Soundseeker55 said:

Hi All

I'm from NSW and currently building up my system with a focus on playing vinyl on my Linn SondekLP12.  Looking at different valve power amps that are good sounding and good value for money. From  some research the Willsenton R8 looks like a good starting point. Any other suggestions or advice on what to consider in my search?

Weston Acoustics and Earle Weston is your best bet. The Willsenton R8 Mk2 still requires a crap load of mods to be applied to rectify poor circuitry design problems and bring it up to speed. No such issues are apparent with Earle's fully tested builds. You may also want to consider 2nd hand units listed in the classifieds here from more reputable brand names.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Second for getting on Earles list for builds, he makes good sounding very reliable amps.

Edit: his transformers are very good quality too.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

I'd put Earle Weston at the top of the list, but if I were risking getting a Chinese amp I'd pay a bit more and look at Raphaelite, at least you get good quality transformers with them.

Also look out for refurbished classic amps from the past like Quad and LEAK, some are very good.

Edited by muon*

You could also consider Cayin or (especially if you're happy to buy second hand) Line Magnetic. But I'd strongly suggest only looking at units built for the Australian market: i.e. 230V, not 220V.

Edited by option-up