Multiple digital sources into a single input DAC

9 hours ago, Muscat said:

I have a DAC with a single RCA input and switch between different sources by swapping RCA cables.  Wondering what devices do members use to switch digital inputs?

So far I've come across this, but looking for something more towards the shallow end of the pool if possible.

https://exclusive-audio.jp/en/products/cap1006

I use an Audio Authority 1177A-1 to select 1 of 4 digital sources to go into my miniDSP unit ... and thence to my DACs.

But I believe they are no longer supplied.  :sad:

Posted (edited)

That looks good @pete_mac

All I could find were toslink switches.  I mostly use 2 inputs, sometimes 3.

@andyr is there any noticeable change in the sound through your switch?

Edited by Muscat

1 hour ago, Muscat said:

@andyr is there any noticeable change in the sound through your switch?

It went into my system (basically, replacing my preamp) - and stayed there - when I changed from analogue feeds into my miniDSP, to digital feeds.

So I can't comment on whether it "changes the sound".

Note: an equivalent thing to the AA 1177A-1 is the Inday DA4X-R.  (I bought one as a spare, in case the AA 1177A-1 stops working.)

If you pay for postage & insurance both ways, I'm happy to lend it to you, so you can experiment as to whether it has a sonic effect.

11 hours ago, Muscat said:

I have a DAC with a single RCA input and switch between different sources by swapping RCA cables.  Wondering what devices do members use to switch digital inputs?

So far I've come across this, but looking for something more towards the shallow end of the pool if possible.

https://exclusive-audio.jp/en/products/cap1006

If your sources are all coaxial (RCA), then you might not need an active device.  A shielded switch box that caters for switching 75 ohm coaxial connections should be sufficient.

I would suggest trying something like this and use the 'video' sockets.

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/4-port-av-switch-box-metal-housing-audio-composite-video-switching.html

If you are likely to have RCA & Toslink sources, then you would need an active device like pete_mac's suggestion.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer @andyr, that's very kind of you, but I don't want to risk damaging it.  I'm sure if there was an impact to sound qualify you would've pick up on it.

I think the option from @surprisetech might be the way to go, since I only need RCA input and it suits my beer budget.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I’m running a MiniDSP DDRC-22D which has 1x AES/EBU, 1x Coax and 1x Optical input and the same outputs. The reason I got it was for its EQ and room correction capabilities but I must say once I got it I also love using it to switch inputs using a universal remote control. A wonderful experience :D

likewise I figured with respect to room correction and sew I theorised that doing this purely in the digital domain before the DAC  recieves the signal would result in little to no signal loss and it’s resultant loss in musical content, and if there is any loss the benefits would outweigh it. I believe it’s all worked out rather well. ;)

Edited by MattyW