Musical fidelity is unwell

After much research I decided to upgrade to a new musical fidelity  m3scd dac processor. I purchased direct from the Nz distributor. My box arrived and seemed very heavy . It was, they had sent me a new musical amplifier from the other end of our country by error. I contacted the distributor and I return posted and they reposted the correct item. The m3scd arrived in an unsealed pre opened box? and I reported to the supplier immediate that the cd door tray was drunk ( was on a strange angle ) visually. The machine otherwise worked fine and did create excellent playback . Now after only a few months of moderate use it’s broke. Cd won’t eject. The build quality was so bad I set up the player on the side of the room away from the main components so I didn’t have to look at the wonky tray . There was no intermittent fault . It went then it didn’t . I wouldn’t recommend this brand to anyone anymore. The early products were fantastic . The m3scd I have looks cheap and is broken  . Sad crazy times. I’m going to ask for a refund as I have such little faith in the suppliers competence.  

• Administrator

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Why didn't you return it immediately given it was obviously used (not factory sealed), and had a noticeable fault?

I doubt you'll be entitled to a refund now, but I would absolutely give them the chance to repair or replace it at this point.

The wonky tray is obviously linked to the fault that you are now experiencing. With it repaired and functioning correctly, it sounds like you enjoy the sound so it would be a solution to the original problem.

• Like 1

Hi thanks those are great comments . After the initial drama of wrong delivery I did contact the supplier immediately regarding open box and crooked door . I was told the same model and colour wasn’t available to swap and if running ok to keep an eye on it. … it has now failed  and will be now returned . I am interested if you know of a better option  for a dac cd transporter. 

Sorry to hear of your problems . I recently went through similar with a Soundaware D300REF streamer. I ended up binning it which was frustrating for a $6k component.

With respect to a CD transport I’d suggest looking at the Jay’s Audio offerings. I’m running the CDT2-Mk3 and its performance is stunning though to be fair I also have the QSuspension and QStab upgrades for it from German maker Headquarter. I feel no need to ever look at another and it’s built like an absolute tank. I sourced a spare drive mechanism for it while they’re available also.

Edited by MattyW

Thank you I really appreciate your communication you have given me leads which I had no knowledge about . My player is only 6 months old with a 3 year warranty so I’m expecting a replacement next week . I have lost a lot of confidence in  the  m3scd. I’m going to update my post if at least the warranty process runs smoothly. I feel like a lot of suppliers are struggling in all different ways after these last few crazy years . The rep seems very genuine.Its me that may have made a poor choice perhaps.

• Like 1

Have you made contact with the Musical Fidelity importers in Christchurch ? Their email is "gnsdistributorsnz@gmail.com". Looking through the MF online info the term "WARRANTY" is very difficult to find. I thought they offered 3 years on their products to the initial buyer. That's according to Len Wallis Audio in Sydney for my Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated.

Hi yes this item has a three year warranty . I’m sure it will be replaced . You are correct about my supplier . It is abit scary for me . I guess if I had a big budget it would not be so scary . They gave me a great deal at the time and the supplier didn’t assemble the item . I think It is important to remember that too. Again,  I think a lot of people are “dropping the ball “ in these times. When we have chaos in our personal lives  our professions become secondary perhaps. The sales rep has been in contact with said supplier. Thank you for your detail. 

Sounds like either damaged I. Transit or something happens to it somewhere ? 

i would have just returned it as doa ? And got another ? 

given you did report it upfront I don’t see the bother ?

do you have any consumer rights where you are. We do here and here it would just get swapped 

you did say it did excellent playback ? Hopefully you can just get it replaced and the enjoy it as it should be ?

• Like 1

Hi thanks for your input . Yes I’m sure a warranty will apply . The factory packaging was impressive and strong . The item inside not so much. The playback to me across multiple recordings was great. However I am still learning and coming to terms with processor filter technology. And I guess a lot of enthusiasts are always limited by budget . I am more interested now in other options and brands that are built to last so I can move on to enjoying the experience. 

• Like 1