Magnepan MG 3.6 Magneplanar Loudspeaker

Item Condition: 7/10
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Collaroy Platea
State: NSW
Payment Method: CASH, EFT
Reason for selling: Not required

Further Information: These are late grand-dads treasured beasts. Brought out of storage as I wanted to give these babies a new lease on life. Match these with an amplifier that has the voltage to give them the power they need, and I'd challenge you to find a better/more involved sound! They fill the room and if you shut your eyes the speakers literally disappear - open your eyes however and you'll realise the wife will divorce you ;)

These speakers have been painstakingly refurbished by Warren at Gosford Hi-Fi. the Mylar has been reglued, brand spanking new Maggie binding posts as well as new bass cloths. There is only one tiny hole on one of the treble cloths. Otherwise these things are like a time warp. They sound AWESOME. I'd keep them if I wasn't planning to move into an apartment... As warren puts it - these will last another 25 years now and quite simply a mainstay in Hi-Fi history. They will likely have a page in @Yamaha_man's coffee table book of Hi-Fi history. 

A new set of 3,7's will set you back close to 15k, these ones are not only a fraction of the price but all they require is a good home, a compromising Mrs, and probably a decent sized VAN to get them there 🙂

Magnepan MG 3.6 Magneplanar Loudspeaker Review Getting Thin For The Summer Review By Steven R. Rochlin (enjoythemusic.com) Magnepan Magneplanar MG3.6/R loudspeaker Specifications | Stereophile.com

Description: Three-way, floorstanding, planar dipole loudspeaker. Drive-units: 500-in2 planar-magnetic bass driver, 199-in2 planar-magnetic midrange driver, 0.16" by 55" ribbon tweeter. Crossover frequencies: 200Hz and 1.7kHz. Frequency response: 34Hz-40kHz, ±3dB. Impedance: 4 ohms nominal, constant, resistive (4.7 ohms bass, 4.2 ohms midrange/tweeter, 3.3 ohms tweeter only). Sensitivity: 86dB/2.83V/m. Recommended power: 75-250W.
Dimensions: 71" (1800mm) H by 24" (610mm) W by 1.625" (42mm) D. Shipping weight: 145 lbs/pair.

Not sure anyone will remember - but they had been purchased from Merlin Audio in Canberra. I used to love that place and although they're not around anymore. Bill Mclean is however, the distributor of Magnepan, Hi-Fi Guru and all around nice guy. So if you should ever need a tip to get these babies singing, he's your man as he has been for me. These can be delivered with their tweeter protectors but I'd rather get them back if possible to give back to Bill. 

20240201_095615.jpg

20240201_095629.jpg

20240201_095647.jpg

20240201_095705.jpg

20240201_095713.jpg

20240201_095732.jpg

20240201_095804.jpg

• Like 3