Making the switch

For the longest time I always knew of the AVR world and not much about Pre/Pro ad amps. i started with a makeshift home theater/stereo unit that could blast music in my barracks room and moved up from there. Arround2007 when I got stationed in Japan I found a killer deal at the Airforce PX for a Yamaha DSP-z9 and jumped on it. The unit weighed a ton and was more than powerful for my B&W speakers.  

I have kept that Yamaha since 07 using it to run my entire home theater as I haven't upgraded anything or needed new speakers since. Well Now I want to upgrade my system and go the component, but I can afford new gear so I going with used or refurbished gear. I have recently purchased 2 Emotiva Basx amps the a300 2ch for my mains and the a500 5ch for my center and surrounds. I have found on A4L a refurbished Marantz AV7705 that I am going to purchase. I am really interested to see where and how this setup will change my experience with watching movies in the house.

So only questions going forward is, should I use XLR or RCAs for my hookups for the amps and for my music I want the punch from my sub when listening to music do I need a stand alone 2 channel reciever with a separate sub hook up?

6 hours ago, Zax said:

So only questions going forward is, should I use XLR or RCAs for my hookups for the amps 

Any difference likely to be small.

6 hours ago, Zax said:

for my music I want the punch from my sub when listening to music do I need a stand alone 2 channel reciever with a separate sub hook up?

You will need a switch to share the sub , and a 2 channel integrated or preamp with a sub output. There are a few ways to do this but let's discuss that after you try the Marantz AV7705 for music. It may be good enough for your stereo requirements.  

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1