Speaker search

I am looking for recommendations for floorstanders, I currently have a pair of Q Acoustics 3050s, which were great for the price, but I now have acquired a Rega Elicit amplifier which is obviously of a higher standard to the speakers. I am open to any suggestions for speakers in the range of £1000- £2500, bearing in mind that although my room is 6M x3M , I can only have  them positioned across the 3M width of the room, so any speakers that need a lot of space around them to give their best would be unlikely to be suitable.

2 hours ago, ReQA said:

I am looking for recommendations for floorstanders, I currently have a pair of Q Acoustics 3050s, which were great for the price, but I now have acquired a Rega Elicit amplifier which is obviously of a higher standard to the speakers. I am open to any suggestions for speakers in the range of £1000- £2500, bearing in mind that although my room is 6M x3M , I can only have  them positioned across the 3M width of the room, so any speakers that need a lot of space around them to give their best would be unlikely to be suitable.

Hi John

In 2012 i owned a pair of Kef Cresta 3 speakers , although broadly similar but one bass driver per speaker to yours , the speaker was transformed with audio reproduction capability ,  by a chance trying of extending the rear port by 250mm. I eventually settled on  sections of flexible piping attained from a hardware store . I firstly tried a kitchen wrap roll and a sock as I recall to make up the rear port gap, and extend the port. Suggest if trying this space your speakers  1metre from the rear wall , if they are not there already.

But if you want to try other speakers,  booking a session to  listen to Kef's range ,    https://uk.kef.com/pages/store-locator .

7 hours ago, ReQA said:

Don't forget to audition hand built, Neat Acoustic speakers, which are the most musically accurate speakers I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy in more 60 years of searching for audio perfection.

3 years ago, I discovered Neat SX3i stand mounters, which really load a 5M x 10M room that also suffers from annexes along one side which make the volume even larger. The isobaric bass configuration in the SX3i enables them to perform like nimble floor standers.

This superb performance is handled comfortably via relatively low powered Hypex NC122MP amplifiers. The signal is managed by a DIY passive LDR attenuator that simply gets out of the way and allows music to reach the power amplifier without any signal degradation or background noise at any volume.

Neat speakers have become quite expensive in Australia lately, so assume it is similar in the UK.

Neat have a Facebook page where there have been some bargain priced units available in the UK and Europe. They are designed and fine tuned by musicians and sound very different to many expensive mass produced products. Hand built in the UK, as well.

Good luck with your search. What great fun!

Cheers, Rob

5 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

Hi John

In 2012 i owned a pair of Kef Cresta 3 speakers , although broadly similar but one bass driver per speaker to yours , the speaker was transformed with audio reproduction capability ,  by a chance trying of extending the rear port by 250mm. I eventually settled on  sections of flexible piping attained from a hardware store . I firstly tried a kitchen wrap roll and a sock as I recall to make up the rear port gap, and extend the port. Suggest if trying this space your speakers  1metre from the rear wall , if they are not there already.

But if you want to try other speakers,  booking a session to  listen to Kef's range ,    https://uk.kef.com/pages/store-locator .

Were they sports or hiking socks? Might make a difference to the bass!

4 hours ago, POV said:

This is an unbelievable deal if still running:

https://www.richersounds.com/fyne-audio-f502-dark-oak.html

Otherise if you have been happy with your Q Acoustics have you considered the Concept 50?

If you are in the UK, which it looks like you are, the  Fyne Audio deal looks like a bit of a no-brainer. I haven't heard any Fyne Audio speakers, but have read a lot of good things about them.