Elektra Pynx questions

I am looking at purchasing one of Arthur’s Pynx preamps to replace my current preamp  (Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2). I am considering the Pynx as I already have an Elektra HD Reference stereo amplifier and from all my research the Pynx is a great match, especially noting my speakers are B&W CM10s that are very neutral and would benefit from a tube pre. That said, there is not a lot of information out there about the Pynx. I did discuss with Arthur a year ago when I had the HDReference in for a service, but I forgot to ask him some specifics.

I would appreciate it if any Pynx owners could answer:

1. Is the additional phono stage worth the $1000 or can I get by with the Rega Fono MM Mk 5? I currently have a Project Carbon with OM20 fitted but will look to upgrade down track.

2. I have the turntable, a CD player and a streamer dac to connect but are there enough RCA inputs for this? The photos depict phono, cd, tuner, and theatre bypass rca inputs on the rear plus two xlr balanced inputs ( none of my sources are balanced). Assuming the phono is not connected unless I pay for the phono stage, that leaves me with two rca inputs unless I can utilise the theatre bypass. Can I?

3. Not essential but I believe it comes with a remote. Is that right?

Please excuse my ignorance if I have asked dumb questions. I am in Canberra and there are no vendors for Arthur’s gear nearby. I purchased the HD Reference through Carlton AV and have not regretted it…great amplifier that can handle the varying load the B&Ws demand.

My Pnyx doesn't have the in-built phono stage, but the phono connections are still active, you just need an external phono stage (which I have).

Theatre bypass doesn't have any volume control - don't use it for any input that doesn't have it's own volume control.

The Pnyx and HD Reference are a good combination and I'm happy with mine.

IMO the standard valves installed in the Pnyx are nothing special - it's worth trying some NOS versions. My preference are Mullards but YMMV.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2024 at 8:04 PM, Quark said:

IMO the standard valves installed in the Pnyx are nothing special - it's worth trying some NOS versions. My preference are Mullards but YMMV.

I agree with @Quark.  There are two 6922s for the preamp stage, and another two for the output stage.  Careful selection of tubes for each stage provides considerable ability to alter the voicing to your taste.

• Like 2

Thanks. I ordered one this morning. I understand Arthur puts the standard tubes in so he can ensure consistency in quality control. Will give them a try but look forward to a little rolling to experiment. I am new to the tube thing so lots to learn.

• Like 1