Hi--asking for a friend who wants to set up an easy-to-use (that's critical) music streaming system.

My first thought was to suggest a Wiim transmitter with an active speaker (or speakers). That won't work because she wants to stream classical music and Idagio is the streaming source of choice for her. Assuming she could stream directly from the Idagio app to an active speaker, are there active speakers that have equalisers that can tailor the sound spectrum to her listening needs? (She has some both low- and high-frequency loss.)

Thanks for advice,

Geoff

21 minutes ago, GeoffHammond said:

Sorry, I should have added that WiiM doesn’t currently support Idagio. It’s on their to-do list but no idea of when it will be added.

Total budget ~$1500.

Idagio is supported by Bluos (Bluesound) so a used node (come up often enough here) with an entry level pair of active speakers might be worth pursuing.    But failing that, idagio supports both chromecast and AirPlay so any device with her preferred system (essentially android or Apple) will do the job.

Edited by POV

27 minutes ago, GeoffHammond said:

Total budget ~$1500.

Just nudge that budget a tad higher:

KEF LSX II LT: 

https://eastwoodhifi.com.au/product/kef-lsx-ii-lt-wireless-powered-hi-fi-bookshelf-speakers/

WiiM Mini optical output and 4 band parametric EQ (Airplay to it):

https://www.blog.wiimhome.com/post/how-to-use-parametric-eq-a-comprehensive-guide

Around $1800

4 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

Just nudge that budget a tad higher:

KEF LSX II LT: 

https://eastwoodhifi.com.au/product/kef-lsx-ii-lt-wireless-powered-hi-fi-bookshelf-speakers/

WiiM Mini optical output and 4 band parametric EQ (Airplay to it):

https://www.blog.wiimhome.com/post/how-to-use-parametric-eq-a-comprehensive-guide

Around $1800

KEF LSX has airplay the KEF app has eq.  Don’t see the need for the Wiim.

Just now, POV said:

KEF LSX has airplay the KEF app has eq.  Don’t see the need for the Wiim.

As per the link above, 4 band parametric EQ on the WiiM...

See OPs mention about some hearing loss and EQ

30 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

As per the link above, 4 band parametric EQ on the WiiM...

See OPs mention about some hearing loss and EQ

The KEF app has a pretty decent set of options for eq, certainly can cater for some high frequency hearing loss.

12 hours ago, rand129678 said:

WiiM has parametric EQ and you can see screenshots at my link.

KEF's EQ is very very basic:

image.png.e8d369b37c58dcc4e112138002c30b75.png

Yeah I get it, sorry maybe wasn’t clear, if the assumption is that an aging lady with hearing loss is going to learn how to work with and apply parametric eq I’m not sure about, and I think the eq functionality probably gives enough for what had been described.

But bear in mind by adding another streamer to the mix you then lose a lot, as you can no longer use a single app to airplay as example and have it turn on the system and control volume directly from the source app etc.

16 minutes ago, POV said:

Yeah I get it, sorry maybe wasn’t clear, if the assumption is that an aging lady with hearing loss is going to learn how to work with and apply parametric eq I’m not sure about, and I think the eq functionality probably gives enough for what had been described.

But bear in mind by adding another streamer to the mix you then lose a lot, as you can no longer use a single app to airplay as example and have it turn on the system and control volume directly from the source app etc.

Just like the help she is getting in this very thread itself, it looks like she'd have help in setting up.

No need to assume she has to learn herself.

Controlling volume is easiest with physical KEF remote control, not an app...

image.png.5c2c425862239308ca09c5c2da156bc3.png

FWIW if the Kef LSX was the chosen speakers, id try them first before adding another component to the mix.

If the Wiim is the chosen streamer, I wouldn't waste money of streaming functionally of the Kef's and buy a cheaper Active Speaker to suit the budget.

• Like 1

To me the streaming feature of the KEFs are just a bonus.

The objective performance of those DSP active coaxials is the main reason.

A cheaper active but still very good is (this is single so x2):

https://www.soundseasy.com.au/collections/active-studio-monitors/products/kali-audio-in-5

Pair it with WiiM Pro Plus (not the Mini I'd recommend with the KEFs) and you come at ~$1500 

Having a demo before buying is always the golden rule.

If she doesn't already have earbuds I would highly recommend JBL Tour Pro 2

They are objectively neutral out of the box and JBL's app is easily the best for EQ of any bluetooth buds. Here is a screenshot from my app.

People with hearing loss can really tune these to their needs very well

IMG_8693.jpeg.0c5e13b18d904ba8d0b5c9836c02a9b6.jpeg