SOLD
Item Condition: Good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: Unley Park
State: SA
Payment Method: cash
Reason for selling: NLR

Further Information

These speakers were wall mounted and in place when we bought our house about 11 years ago.

They've only been used a handful of times since then and seem to be in reasonable condition.

I've hooked them up recently, and they seem to be working fine, but I have no experience with these so don't know how they should be sounding.

I don't have the time/interest/ or equipment and technical skill to get these sounding their best, so would rather they go to a good home.

They've had frames made for them for the wall mounting so  dont have any stands.

Sorry, pick up only - I don't have the time to carefully pack and ship them ( they're big, and I assume easy to damage!)

Would recommend 2 people to come to pick them up as they're heavy and big, and I''m not much help due to a dodgy back!

IMG_5694.thumb.JPG.50d57dad2346383ec431c72250945937.JPGIMG_5696.thumb.JPG.48001f22d547bbc2b6c819628dd0b4d1.JPGIMG_5699.thumb.JPG.b9ff702ae03983ef4b19fb8cad389632.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ClassZ said:

Hi,

Do you have the crossover boxes for them?

Cheers

Michael

Hello Michael

Sorry, no I don't.

Just what's in the photos.

I didnt know until now that they had external crossovers!!! 

That could be why I've never been impressed with how they sounded when when they were wall mounted..... I'm an idiot...

There were plugs in the wall on one side of the room to plug the amps into, internal cabling in the wall cavities/roof, and then speaker cable from the wall to the speakers. I assumed I just had to plug the amps in.

The previous owner probably took them with him. get in touch with to see if he may still have them

Cheers

Suresh

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Get off My lawn said:

Hello Michael

Sorry, no I don't.

Just what's in the photos.

I didnt know until now that they had external crossovers!!! 

That could be why I've never been impressed with how they sounded when when they were wall mounted..... I'm an idiot...

There were plugs in the wall on one side of the room to plug the amps into, internal cabling in the wall cavities/roof, and then speaker cable from the wall to the speakers. I assumed I just had to plug the amps in.

The previous owner probably took them with him. get in touch with to see if he may still have them

Cheers

Suresh

They would have sounded terrible on the wall and they don't need external cross overs from memory.  Bi wired.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wimbo said:

They would have sounded terrible on the wall and they don't need external cross overs from memory.  Bi wired.

Yes, the MGIII would be horrid mounted on the wall.  They need say 1.5M from the front wall to let the out-of-phase back wave "escape".

Like Wimbo I don't think that there was an external XO box; all inside.

Edit:  Just looked up more info; there was a later version of the MGIII that did have an external XO box for the bass panel.

Edited by aechmea
Correction

Asking mobile AI Copilot, here is what AI replies:

"Yes, the Magnepan MG III has an internal crossover. The mid and ribbon crossover are internal, while the external box is the bass panel crossover only. You can use a 2-way crossover like the Behringer CX2310 to set up the bass panel and use the internal crossover to control the midrange/ribbon.

If you’re interested in building your own crossovers, you can find schematics and ideas on the Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums. However, please note that modifying the internal components of your speakers can be risky and may void any warranty. It’s always best to consult with a professional before making any modifications.

I hope this helps!"

This doesn't mention an external XO for speakers with that serial number

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/articles/speakers.html

Most pictures on the web show an MGIIIa which is a later model.

There are 3 versions of the MGIII and a forth the IIIa.  We have the second model here but it isn't quite clear whether it needs an external XO or not.

I shall withdraw my comments just in case.

Edited by aechmea

22 hours ago, Get off My lawn said:

Sale pending

In case they are sold ... you might like to pass on the following information to the buyer:

• yes, they need an external XO box - which provides the bass low-pass filter plus the mid high-pass filter.
  • in spite of this - they are still a great buy, without these XO boxes ... as these are easy to construct.  I can provide him with the circuit diagram.
  • if they were mounted on the wall (boy he must've been under his wife's thumb!  :shocked: ) ... then the buyer will need to either get hold of some original feet - or better ... get some braced stands - to be able to place them 1.5m off the front wall.

• Like 1