Help ID Goldring Project Stylus

I've had this MM cart for probably 25 years, used for maybe 10hrs tops, it came with a Project 5.1 bought new back then but I changed out this cart soon after buying the table.

Anyway, decided to try it on a VPI classic this morning, wow man does this thing sing, it flawed me! Its right up there with a $2K LOMC, it just lacks a tad in dynamics and understandably so given its a MM however everything else is there in beautiful big gobs!

Anyone know what stylus it is? I know its a Goldring 1042 body but unsure of the stylus model. As you can see it has a Project logo on the Stylus body so obviously a joint thing between Project & Goldring back then. The current 1042 series has replaceable stylus model 1042-D42. Apparently Goldring upgraded the 1042 stylus several times over recent years so I'm lost as to what this Project labelled stylus may be.

I'm trying to ID it so I can make a decision if I should upgrade to the latest 1042-D42

DSCF8050.thumb.JPG.ff8f26ebcc7841890d8e1074c076c385.JPG

DSCF8049.thumb.JPG.b93728e2466df69f8efce5a57474a6ab.JPG

Edited by Allan

Info from GOLDRING

1042 and G1042 are in fact the same stylus just labeled differently, they both use the same 'Gyger S' diamond. 

And the upgrade answer again from GOLDRING 

The 1022 is much easier to set up than the 1042. The diamond is a fine line vital type with a very low effective tip mass which gives it just as good agility and trackability as the 1042, at the expense of slightly larger playing radius, but it is much easier to get aligned in the groove. That being said, the 1042 with it's Gyger S tip will give lower distortion at high frequency when compared to the 1022 (which itself is world class), but that is when you get the alignment absolutely perfect.  

Compared to the 1006, the 1022 and 1042 are in a different league. The 1006 is a basic bonded elliptical which is a cinch to set up, but will only ever give a satisfactory performance. You may notice that the sibilance on vocals can be more pronounced (although not obvious like it would be with a spherical diamond), whereas both the 1022 and 1042 deal with this without issue right the way across the LP.

The Vital PH is such a good tip that it is used in our flagship Ethos model, and in any case, you could opt to replace the stylus with the 1042 next time, if you are still looking for an upgrade in the future, as all the 1000 series styli are interchangeable.

5 minutes ago, Allan said:

thanks @Full Range, yes I read most of what your post states, but what I'm really after is what type of stylus the Project labelled one is that I have

It’s definitely a 1000 series cart as you mentioned a 1042 

But this is an assumption and a quick deduction based on original price as Project had a choice of stylus from entry level to the standard Gyger S fitted to the 1042 body 

My guess is the standard 1042 Gyger S 

Happy to be proven correct or wrong by someone with more depth of knowledge 

G'day Daz, I already checked the stylus for some ID, nothing on it but the cart body itself has "Made in England" pressed into it

Playing tunes with it now, its a mighty fine sounding cart indeed. I'm just hoping the stylus has been superseded with something worth upgrading too.. if only I can ID the stylus ?!?

Edited by Allan
  • Like 1

My guess based on the 5.1 being a mid range turntable when it was new (I think they had 2.1 and 9.1 and probably others from memory) is that it's probably a 1006 or 1022.

I don't think they would have included the top 1000 series cartridge on the mid level turntable.

This is just a guess though so I could be completely wrong.

I have a Project 6.1 from that era and somewhere along the way I heard the Pro-Ject branded stylus was a 1006 on that cartridge body. 

You’re not the only person to ask anyway! Unfortunately this thread is also inconclusive: 

@RCAJack thanks, sadly that 2020 thread was inconclusive. I've emailed both Project and Goldring so hopefully this time they shed some light..

Its definitely a Goldring 1000 series body and I do know that Goldring revised the 1042 a few times, though I'm unsure of year for latest revision.

Hopefully as you say it is the 1006 cause plugging in the latest 1042 stylus should be a good upgrade, in any case as is it sure knows how to sing, it floored me yesterday!

• 3 weeks later...