DAC for a Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Player

I usually listen to my CDs and music files (FLAC and DSD) on the Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Player, connected via HDMI to the Pioneer VSX-534 Receiver, and I'm considering replacing the Blu-ray player with a Marantz CD6007 CD Player to perform the same functions (play CDs and music files (FLAC and DSD)).

Although the switch seems very advantageous to me, in terms of audio quality (a DEDICATED CD player is expected to play CDs with better quality than a Bluray Player, which plays several formats in addition to CD), some audiophiles are advising me not to do that, and to simply add a good DAC to the Sony Blu-ray Player.

What do you think?

If you are considering a 2 Channel CD player why are you using a multi channel AVR?

Also (in case you didn't know) as you are hooked up at HDMI level you are currently hearing the AVR's DAC.

To hear the Marantz's DAC (or any external one) you would have to connect them at analog level.

IME you would gain more audible improvement by going with a dedicated stereo integrated amp vs your AVR before looking at CD players or DAC's.

Adding a dedicated CD player or DAC just would not be as much "bang for buck"......IMHO.

To answer your original question though.........I would choose to go with a good external DAC for now and look at adding a nice transport later.

Maybe even a streamer instead if you only have a small CD library. 

Good Luck

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 5
  • Love 1