Rega Brio and phono preamp?

I have a Rega Brio and a Thorens TD320 with an AT VM95ML cartridge. Very nice sound, but sometimes I wonder if a dedicated phono preamp could improve the soundstage and definition. There is a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 on offer (second hand), what would the difference be?

And a second question: if I go back to Cyrus amplification (had one years ago for a long time and loved the sound), what type of phono preamp would fit right in?

7 minutes ago, Irek said:

Usually the speakers make the most noticeable improvement followed by room treatment if needed. 

My speakers are Q Acoustics 3050i, and although I know they are not top end material (I’m happy with them nonetheless), but since their design doesn’t make my other half unhappy, I can’t replace them easily ;)

Well, I did buy a Cyrus 8XP today, will arrive tomorrow if all goes well. Going to compare the Brio and the 8XP.

But I do need a phono preamp. Currently on offer second hand: Cambridge CP1, Thorens MM-002, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2, Vincent PHO-200, Cambridge Audio Azur 640P-S, Musical Fidelity V-LPSII. Any experiences with one or more from these mentioned above?

2 hours ago, Bas Ickenroth said:

But I do need a phono preamp. Currently on offer second hand: Cambridge CP1, Thorens MM-002, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2, Vincent PHO-200, Cambridge Audio Azur 640P-S, Musical Fidelity V-LPSII. 

Can I suggest you should add the Dynavector P75 to your list - see here:

image.png.653ba0408287fd2508d49d4e89c492a4.png

Particularly if you have a LOMC with a coil impedance of 10 ohms or less.  (This will enable you to use the P75's "PE mode").

Edited by andyr
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, andyr said:

Can I suggest you should add the Dynavector P75 to your list - see here:

image.png.653ba0408287fd2508d49d4e89c492a4.png

Particularly if you have a LOMC with a coil impedance of 10 ohms or less.  (This will enable you to use the P75's "PE mode").

Unbelievable bang for your buck!

• Like 1

I'm using a Clearaudio Smart Phono V2 with my P77i and am very happy with it, and especially so since I upgraded to an Audio Technica AT-OC9/III. They both sound great on my Rega RP6 through the Smart Phono to a Marantz SR6015. Big improvement from the built-in phono stage.

5 hours ago, Bas Ickenroth said:

That would be amazing. But alas, way above my budget.

If that's the case, save up and get later. The list you mentioned currently on offer won't last you long enough, might as well wait and get the one that really makes a difference. 

I compared the Rega Brio and the Cyrus XP. Bought a cheap second hand Cambridge CP1 as phono preamp. Fun to do some testing and comparing. Long story short: the Cyrus is more refined, reveals more details, and is a bit more analytical than the Brio. And I wanted more details, more refinement, so my choice is made .

While the differences in cd and streaming were well audible but not extremely great, the biggest difference was with the Thorens as source. The internal phono stage of the Brio is very good, better than with the Cambridge CP1 connected to the Brio - the difference was really big (a bit muddled sound, too laidback, not precise). But the Cambridge connected to the Cyrus was much better than the Brio phono stage; very revealing, open, better soundstage. Very curious how this is possible, and how good a better phono stage will sound. Will save up for a nice upgrade.

Overall, the bass goes a bit deeper with the Brio, but the Cyrus is definitely better at mids and highs and treble; more separation.