Adding a Q acoustics sub to 2 channel

Hello everybody, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for all ...

Now after seeing myriad of videos and pics of people adding a sub to their stereo setup, I was thinking to add one to mine as it was lacking that sensation on the bottom end.

My speakers sounded ok but really it felt like something was missing, so yesterday I was just scrolling through marketplace and a Q acoustics 3070s sub appeared, local, decent price ( wife acceptance factor) so I bought it...

Only idea in my mind was that being Q. acoustics should be half decent..

Question time

Do anybody have/ had one? Impressions ?

How do you level it to match speakers sound?

Any advice/ guidance will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing these sub's (2070's, purchased but not yet used as such) and having experience with my main subs all of which lacking a high pass crossover your best option for integrating them into your stereo listening is as follows:

Option 1. (No cost option) figure out where your speakers are rolling off the bass and set the subwoofer crossover at this point, you will likely need to tweak upwards based on in room response of your speakers to fill any gaps suboptimal placement has incurred. Use a y-splitter and RCAs to fork the Pre-Out/Main-In loop so you can send signal to the subwoofers, splitting before input to your amplifier is also an option if you do not have the option to take the signal from a pre-out but is only really workable if you are using a single source.

Option 2. Acquire an active crossover of some description that you can put between your Pre-Out / Main-In loop at the back of your amp, this is how I've best solved for my waterfall subs lack of high pass.

Placement for stereo listening for proper time alignment should essentially have the subwoofer 'faced-up' with your speakers, if this is untenable due to space constraints then try rotating the subwoofer 90° but still in proximally the same position, if the bass response doesn't seem too great at this point try adjusting the phase control to see if this aids (3070 I believe is either 0° or 180° via a toggle switch). If having the sub in proximity to your speakers is totally out of the question then a good approach is to find somewhere else in the room that is equal distance from the listening position and is also somewhat local to a corner boundary.

Gain matching can be a little tenuous particularly if you are controlling the volume primarily via your stereo amplifier and Option 1 is the approach, try setting your amp to the maximum volume you envision you will ever listen to it, and have the subwoofer such that it sounds even, then henceforth control the volume from the source rather than the amplifier, this should result in the subwoofer and amplifier playing nicely together regardless of how loud you are listening.

My poor mans approach to tuning my subs was to play a 20-150hz sweep on YouTube through the setup, its tediously iterative but without REW and a calibrated mic (and the $$$ required) you can get really good results just requires much more effort and patience.

Keen to hear how you get on! I'll be playing around with my dual 2070's soon so should have some more pertinent experience to share as I go.

• Like 1

Hi Rundllexe, appreciate that your answer ,so far I have been setting the sub to it's minimum crossover (50 Hz) and the volume close to a third .

Getting signal from the biwiring output of the amp.

The only drawback is that the sub is boxed in the bay window next to the cabinet that holds records ( constrain by space) and in a weird angle...🤢

I know it is a bit stupid but, I don't use my vintage Concertos because of space😞

IMG_20231227_095051.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you got it pretty well sorted (space constraints permitting), I always forget about the high level inputs! How do you find the extra extension? Looking at the proximity of the subwoofer to the wall I'd be inclined to suggest stuffing the rear port (particularly if you aren't getting enough definition), may required you to up the gain on the subwoofer if you do (generally stuffing will increase extension at the expense of volume).

I set up my 2070SI's recently and will share a photo, I opted to stuff both ports and have the benefit of an active crossover so have crossed them over pretty high with my project speakers, not finding much output below 35hz though so it might be they rely heavily on the relfex ports. Will be playing around more when I can be bothered 🙂

Shame about your Concerto's! I had the chance to listen to a pair at a mates house last year, stunning beautiful and I'd almost characterize them as an ideal sounding speaker.

Yes,you are right about the concertos, with them never felt the need for a sub.

Do 2070s have two ports? I recon they were a higher level product than the 3070, which I bought because the price was right, local and in immaculate condition, frequency response apparently is 30Hz ( even when it is not shown on W acoustics site)

I guess that most ported subs rely on on the bass reflex effect even when not forward firing.

Still looks like the most important part is the source, some records are heavier than others on bass.

At the moment pretty satisfied with position ,setup as most of the time is like the sub is not there but at the same time it is like it stretches the low notes which was something that was missed.

The Theophany are pretty good with bass but it was like the lower frequencies didn't have that tempo ,that extended roll of the notes ( hope you get the idea what I am trying to say)