World Music: Currently Spinning

Coming soon. CD & vinyl.

The Sky Is The Same Colour Everywhere is a spiritual meditation - best listened to in one sitting - by two master musicians and culture bearers of centuries-old musical traditions sharing modes based on Persian and Malian repertoires.

This duo recording is something special taking us on an improvisational musical journey into new landscapes and will be released on Real World Records on 5 May 2023

Kayhan Kalhor, from Iran, is the leading player of the kamancheh, the Persian spike fiddle. Toumani Diabaté, from Mali, is likewise the leading player of the West African kora, a 21-string harp-lute and a sublime creation of gourd, cow skin and fishing line. This is Kayhan’s first collaboration with an African musician.

“The qualities of minimalism and trance that I like in Persian music are also there in Toumani’s,” says Kayhan. “That’s how I like to think and tell a story. That quality in African music has always attracted me and I think Toumani does that really well.” 

“It’s like this music was already there waiting for us,” says Toumani. “And it’s like the two of us knew each other before - in another life.”

images (48).jpeg

https://www.songlines.co.uk/news/watch-dakhabrakha-s-standing-with-ukraine?fbclid=IwAR1oS7ivtFWpd1pteZhfUNmm70NI_HUHfB7udHVM-S9FJkdvabQKRFvV-LY

< On March 14, Kyiv’s finest ethno-chaos quartet DakhaBrakha gave a special live fundraising performance at the Miner Auditorium in San Francisco. Now, as an expression of solidarity with the people of Ukraine, SFJAZZ have made the live broadcast of that evening’s poignant concert free to view until March 24. Viewers are invited to donate to the DakhaBrakha Fund, where all proceeds will be allocated, via the band themselves, to organisations aiding civilians in their embattled homeland.     

DakhaBrakha will continue to wage their campaign of polyphonic defiance and dynamic folk demonstrativeness when they embark on a series of UK dates in April, before heading out on a full European tour.  >

• Like 1

Ali Farka Touré is well known as one of the most influential and talented guitarists that Africa has ever produced. His legacy and impact are hard to overstate: Ali’s sound merged his much-loved traditional Malian musical styles with distinct elements of the blues, resulting in the creation of a groundbreaking new genre, now well known as the ‘desert blues’, earning him 3 Grammy awards and widespread reverence.

'Voyageur' is the first release of previously unheard music since 2006’s 'Savane', and features a collection of recordings captured at various points in Ali’s illustrious career. The album, which features fellow Malian superstar Oumou Sangaré on 3 tracks, reaffirms Ali’s status as a globally revered legend of African music.

Outstanding:

image.png.b0544ffcf5b89c47c8d31f0e0bbdc1f7.png

Edited by Nada
  • Like 2

On 31/03/2023 at 11:43 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Dhafer Youssef - Electric Sufi.

images (55).jpeg

Have been very fortunate to have seen Dhafer live twice, both times absolutely spine tingling!

Here's an idea of what he was like at Womadelaide a few years back, same group I believe

• Like 1

Buddhadatta

Not spinning but live at the Gem Bar Collingwood yesterday afternoon for free.

Techno Buddhist punk? From Japan, Buddhadatta. They played at the Adelaide Fringe plus few gigs in country Victoria and Melbourne.

Great fun!! Recommended!

Last gig for Melbourne however they still have one or two scheduled in Sydney

• Like 1