looking for best Speaker for only 9W 300B amplifier

Hi all,

as I am not expert in audio, I just take advice from many people that expert (I think) in audio ..

currently I change my integrated amplifier, Audio sterling SET EL34 to Pre amp Aesthetix Calypso Signature + AUdio note conqueror stereo amplifier 300B 9W only. .. use with my ARC CD9 Ref and speaker Zingali overture 2B.

What I feel the different is with new combination, the sound is more transparant, stagging better, and musical. ... BUT my previos integrated Audion Sterling EL34 SET, i feel more power full (yes. the watt is different), taking my advice from my friends (so many advice), said that I need to CHANGE a speaker to have min.94db sensitivity (my existing Zingali is 91db).  Some said that I need to change my standart tube in amplifier audionote to 5R4 Raytheon (this is cheap, I just buy it)

Question: will it improve sound quality if I change from speaker 91db to 94db? What brand I suppose to looking? I don't want to have big speaker like avant garde ( more over I can not buy speaker with price more 20k).

thank you for your kind advice.

iwan

• Volunteer

I used to own Zingalis (twenty 1.12). Despite their stated high efficiency they really only sounded good with high current amps. 

EDIT: I guess what I’m saying is that if you like your speakers, you should find an amp that gets the best out of them, rather than changing speakers to suit an amp (just my opinion) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iwan targaryan said:

Hi all,

as I am not expert in audio, I just take advice from many people that expert (I think) in audio ..

currently I change my integrated amplifier, Audio sterling SET EL34 to Pre amp Aesthetix Calypso Signature + AUdio note conqueror stereo amplifier 300B 9W only. .. use with my ARC CD9 Ref and speaker Zingali overture 2B.

What I feel the different is with new combination, the sound is more transparant, stagging better, and musical. ... BUT my previos integrated Audion Sterling EL34 SET, i feel more power full (yes. the watt is different), taking my advice from my friends (so many advice), said that I need to CHANGE a speaker to have min.94db sensitivity (my existing Zingali is 91db).  Some said that I need to change my standart tube in amplifier audionote to 5R4 Raytheon (this is cheap, I just buy it)

Question: will it improve sound quality if I change from speaker 91db to 94db? What brand I suppose to looking? I don't want to have big speaker like avant garde ( more over I can not buy speaker with price more 20k).

thank you for your kind advice.

iwan

KEFs are in expensive and pick the right model, very efficient. 

33 minutes ago, thejt said:

With low power I think the easiest way to feel power is large speakers. You said no Avantgarde but how big could you entertain? 

sorry.. i have no special audio room, so it will mix with my living room which my wife is the boss, and she will not tolerate with big size of my toys... so slim floor standing is a max size.  I like the model of focal diablo utopia, but again is below 91db. and will not perform best with 9W power.

• Like 1

Seeing you like the Audio Note 300B sound I would recommend the AN/J series of speakers from Audio Note or have a look at deVore range of speakers you should be able to find a particular model in your price range and will be a great match with your system and a bonus plus will be wife friendly 😀

• Like 4

It's a little bit upside down. First you are buying speakers and then amplifier. Get the best speakers you can , like the Focal diablo utopia and change amplifier. If you need tubes than Primaluna works well with Focal . 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 3:38 PM, Irek said:

It's a little bit upside down. First you are buying speakers and then amplifier. Get the best speakers you can , like the Focal diablo utopia and change amplifier. If you need tubes than Primaluna works well with Focal . 

I would rather stay with Audio Note rather than any Primaluna to be frank. And I would get Audio Note speakers too.

The notion of speaker first is just theoretical as any components in the system is equally important.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jehuty said:

I would rather stay with Audio Note rather than any Primaluna to be frank. And I would get Audio Note speakers too.

The notion of speaker first is just theoretical as any components in the system is equally important.

OP mentioned Focal diablo and I know that Focal is cooperating with Primaluna thanks to Kevin from Upscale audio. 

Components are not equally important. Most of the time speakers + room are making the biggest difference, followed by amplifier. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

today I just offer that somebody that want to sell his Focal Sopra 2 speaker., so it is used and I still can afford it (my big spending if proceed). .... BUT.. I can NOT try it with my amplifier (Audio Note Conqueror, 9W only), I check the sensitivity is 91db...

my questions, is it ok (meaning good) to use Focal Sopra 2 with only 9w power amp from audio note 300B ? anybody has experiences for that?

thank you for sharing....

7 minutes ago, iwan targaryan said:

Hi All,

today I just offer that somebody that want to sell his Focal Sopra 2 speaker., so it is used and I still can afford it (my big spending if proceed). .... BUT.. I can NOT try it with my amplifier (Audio Note Conqueror, 9W only), I check the sensitivity is 91db...

my questions, is it ok (meaning good) to use Focal Sopra 2 with only 9w power amp from audio note 300B ? anybody has experiences for that?

thank you for sharing....

Minimum impedance is 3.1ohms so might not be ideal. 

• Like 1