Warm Greetings from Singapore

I have two turntable (TT) TT 1 & TT 2. Both are Sony lateral tone arm. Both works great.

Whenever I clean the tip of the stylus of TT 1 with a soft brush, on the sound box there is a brushing sound.
If I power off  TT 1 and clean the stylus tip, again on the sound box there is a brushing sound. 

However on TT 2, when I clean the stylus tip (be the TT 2 is powered on or off), there is no brushing sound on the sound box.

I suspect there is a problem with TT 1.

What do you think ? What it could be ?

Let me know the problem  with the TT 1 

Highly appreciate your advise. 

• Like 1

Welcome to SNA, DMMD. 
First, when cleaning the stylus tip, have the volume turned down or off on your amp. 

It's a bit confusing to know what's happening without knowing how the turntables are plugged into your system.  Are they both connected to the same phono, and if so how?  Detailed explanations helps the fault-finding (eg. model numbers of your tt's, amp, phono stage (if it's external), how they are connected, etc).

Given that you say both tt's are working "great", there doesn't seem to be a problem with them. 

What you are describing with TT 1 sounds normal.  The brush is moving the stylus and this is being converted into an audio signal (just like the record groove converts the movement into an audio signal).  Turning the TT on/off is controlling the motor which revolves the platter, this is independent of the cartridge/stylus. 

I'm not sure why there is a difference with TT2.  Perhaps this is plugged into another input on your amp and you don't have it selected. 

Thank you for your prompt notice and reply.
The TT 1 & TT2 both are connected to a SONY SB 12 SELECTOR input (For older records I use TT1, for newer records I use TT 2).  
The Selector SB 12 output goes to Phono socket of the AMP (TA E 77ESD). The Amp to then connects to TA N 77ES power amp. And the Power-amp out put connects to RL speaker,

The TT2 works perfectly great. No hum or likewise.
It is the TT1 that makes light hum.  The funny things is when  TT 1 ground cable is connected to AMP, there is a loud & strong Hum. However when I leave the wire disconnected, the hum is much significantly less.   The TT 1 truly intrigues me.

Appreciate your thoughts. 

Hum from turntables is always an interesting thing.  Depends on the turntable cart and how it's wired.  Some turntables will hum without the earth wire and connecting it will fix it.  Other turntable will hum with the earth wire and not hum without it. 

The slight hum could be due to many things.  First, unplug it from the selector and plug it directly into the amp, if no hum then your selector is introducing it.  If the hum remains when plugged into your amp, it may be the positioning of the phono lead from the tt (too close to mains lead), or an indication that the lead needs stronger shielding. 

What cartridges are in your tt's?  What is the model number of your tt's (I'm not familiar with Sony Lateral tonearms).  You might be better using one tt and swapping headshells (if they are removable) or styli (if your two tt's have identical cart's). 

Edited by audiofeline

Thanks Mate. Your thoughtful reply is much appreciated.
I amusing Sony PS X 555ES and Sony PS V9900

I just did the process of elimination. 
The PS V9900 is playing perfect with no hum routing through SB 12 selector. So Selector is not the problem.
I guess I have to open the 555ES and probably short the tone arm wires. Lets see what happens. 🙂

On 06/11/2023 at 4:42 PM, DMMD said:

Thank you for your prompt notice and reply.
The TT 1 & TT2 both are connected to a SONY SB 12 SELECTOR input (For older records I use TT1, for newer records I use TT 2).  
The Selector SB 12 output goes to Phono socket of the AMP (TA E 77ESD). The Amp to then connects to TA N 77ES power amp. And the Power-amp out put connects to RL speaker,

The TT2 works perfectly great. No hum or likewise.
It is the TT1 that makes light hum.  The funny things is when  TT 1 ground cable is connected to AMP, there is a loud & strong Hum. However when I leave the wire disconnected, the hum is much significantly less.   The TT 1 truly intrigues me.

Appreciate your thoughts. 

Hum is caused by a potential difference in ground points between components. You will a lot of trial and error to find the problem.

I would try disconnecting TT2 ground and connecting TT1 ground. If that doesn't fix it try connecting the ground of TT1 to TT2.

That's a lot of gear you have.  The tt hum could be related to the amount of power cables you have packed close to the tt's.

I would also be concerned about ventilation.  I would have more space between your components and more space from the back wall.  Components getting hot is not good for their health!

I'm curious about a few things, unrelated to your problem.  Your Garrard and Buwen processors have Sony badges on them - did you add them?  And what's the woodgrained device to the right of the Garrard, it looks to have a vertical LED meter at the front and some valves and heatsink sticking up? 

Edited by audiofeline

Hi there, Thank you for your caring thoughts. I have added two flat type exhaust fans in-between the Power Amp & CD player to facilitate ventillation. Its well hidden. Second the power  cables are all below and well shielded.  Third the hum is present only when I play the TT 555ES, not for the V9900 or any other component.

re Burwen & Garrard  
There used to be a Sony Audio R & D set up here in SG. It was closed by late eighties. They did have some R & D collaboration and conducted extensive audio experimentation. I got these two experimentation gear from the Mr.Teo. These are an interesting piece. The Burwen gear measures the R-L output and curates them . It's really super effective. The Garrard actually has an added up Tube that warms the frequency width (without making it artificial).  So I use it to enhance the listening pleasure.
Re Hum
I actually consulted few of ex Sony guys ( pioneer generation). One of them suggested to use "ferrite" core.
They actually reduced the hum drastically. Now the hum can be heard when I turn the attenuator to the maximum.

IMG_1543.jpg

• Like 1

The Burwen and the Garrard (without the valve addtion, as far as I'm aware) were commercially produced items, it could be the Sony centre was considering distributing them.  There is a little bit of info on them on the web if you search hard enough. 

Pleased to hear the ferrite core has produced an improvement.  However, they are not routinely used because they can affect the audio quality.  It could suggest that the RCA leads on the tt don't have enough shielding, and that trying an upgraded phono cable could be the cure.