CD Transport Stabilizer/Puck/Clamp

Hi,

I bought a new stabilizer/puck for my Jay's Audio CDT3 MK3 top loading CD transport.  It is a QStab Pro (version 3) made from anthracite and made by Mike Christ of Headquarter Audio.

I bought it based on many reviews of some of his older versions that were all positive.  I just received it and so have been making comparisons with the carbon one that came with the CDT3.

I am curious what the role of the stabilizer is.  Does a "better" stabilizer actually stabilizer the CD better.  Less jitter?  I think it is already very low on the CDT3.  I believe the Qstab is lighter than the other.  How does that affect the sound?  It also covers less area.  Is that important?

What should I be listening for?  What do you think differences would be?  I don't notice any differences yet but I have just started the comparisons. 

Please share your experiences with your different stabilizers.

Thanks, Kent

Not a Jay's, and haven't heard a QStab.

My Chinese CDM4 based transport came with an aluminium puck.

Small.jpg.07117916af6835c1a4d0a86fb5b3ebb7.jpg

I then modded that puck with a coaster made from mdf that had a thin cork layer that faced the CD surface.

IMG_20230628_152406_915.jpg.3e7358ee820e8560f33784af1be46802.jpg

The difference was very slight, maybe more solid sounding and slightly clearer, like I said was very slight.

Then I grabbed a carbon fiber one from Ali that had a thin layer of felt that contacts the CD surface, again slight, hard to define the difference, maybe slightly clearer, but It's what I use now.

IMG_20231030_085341_967.jpg.e6413c583c1d7c5340e89f5065bae57c.jpg

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pictures, Ian.   It looks like not too many have experience with different pucks.  This is what the maker of the QStab told me. . .   I should hear "more dynamics and details without fatiguing."  I haven't done any more comparisons but maybe one day I will try again.

3 hours ago, jgunner said:

@muon*may i know what is the cd transport you've got there? 

It's a Chinese one by create-dream, or C-Dream, off Aliexpress.

Edit: I'm still yet to check if the mains transformer is 220v or 230v, I should check, It's not labeled.

Edited by muon*
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, Kent10 said:

Hi,

I bought a new stabilizer/puck for my Jay's Audio CDT3 MK3 top loading CD transport.  It is a QStab Pro (version 3) made from anthracite and made by Mike Christ of Headquarter Audio.

I bought it based on many reviews of some of his older versions that were all positive.  I just received it and so have been making comparisons with the carbon one that came with the CDT3.

I am curious what the role of the stabilizer is.  Does a "better" stabilizer actually stabilizer the CD better.  Less jitter?  I think it is already very low on the CDT3.  I believe the Qstab is lighter than the other.  How does that affect the sound?  It also covers less area.  Is that important?

What should I be listening for?  What do you think differences would be?  I don't notice any differences yet but I have just started the comparisons. 

Please share your experiences with your different stabilizers.

Thanks, Kent

QStab made a very nice improvement with my Jay’s, as did the QSuspension. Just more real and lifelike sounding

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

Well was over Matt's place today and took my carbon fiber puck over to compare to his Qstab in his CDT2, wasn't expecting much but it does sound more natural, tone is improved and everything is more solid which is very noticeable in the low end.

Definitely would get one if budget allowed.

• Like 2

I found the difference quite noticeable though that’s probably just because it’s harder to go back than forward in terms of sonics which makes any backwards step more noticeable 🙂

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, muon* said:

Well was over Matt's place today and took my carbon fiber puck over to compare to his Qstab in his CDT2, wasn't expecting much but it does sound more natural, tone is improved and everything is more solid which is very noticeable in the low end.

Definitely would get one if budget allowed.

There is more than just 1001010100101, but you knew this already 🙂 I might get one too but not sure if I could use it for my CD94? 

By the way, I checked the price of the Qstab and I paid very similar amount to get my CD94 clock upgraded + battery powered conversion + I2s conversion + I2s reclocking buffer circuit. So, it's another upgrade option worth considering. But yeah this was done almost 10 years ago so the price might have increased 😅

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jehuty said:

There is more than just 1001010100101, but you knew this already 🙂 I might get one too but not sure if I could use it for my CD94? 

By the way, I checked the price of the Qstab and I paid very similar amount to get my CD94 clock upgraded + battery powered conversion + I2s conversion + I2s reclocking buffer circuit. So, it's another upgrade option worth considering. But yeah this was done almost 10 years ago so the price might have increased 😅

Not sure how you would use it with the CD94 unless you have converted it to a top loader.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, muon* said:

Not sure how you would use it with the CD94 unless you have converted it to a top loader.

Yep, I thought so too., pity coz I want one. CDC TL1 on the other hand might be able to use the Qstab.

• Like 1

Just now, Jehuty said:

Yep, I thought so too., pity coz I want one. CDC TL1 on the other hand might be able to use the Qstab.

The CEC, hmm...don't think so, they need the weighty ones they use due to the weak motor. They need that flywheel action the heavy puck gives, and I don't know if it would fit the spindle either..

• Like 2

I have a Jays Audio and use the standard puck.

Earlier this year I was on the Herbies website and found the Super Black Hole CD Mat.

I felt compelled to at least try it given pricing was moderate. You put the sticky side on the CD and then puck on top.

Does it make a difference and is it a good difference?

Yeah, I think so, definitely something is happening - can I explain it? No, not really.

Do I care that I can not explain it?

Hell no..... 😁 

To quote @Jehuty

Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mendes said:

I have a Jays Audio and use the standard puck.

Earlier this year I was on the Herbies website and found the Super Black Hole CD Mat.

I felt compelled to at least try it given pricing was moderate. You put the sticky side on the CD and then puck on top.

Does it make a difference and is it a good difference?

Yeah, I think so, definitely something is happening - can I explain it? No, not really.

Do I care that I can not explain it?

Hell no..... 😁 

To quote @Jehuty

Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

It would be interesting to compare this with the QStab

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the pictures and experiences.  I still need to do more comparisons.  I tried a little but I think I need to really know a disc extremely well before I will be successful hearing differeneces.  The differences between my pucks must be quite small.  Or I need to find the right things to listen to.  More with bass for example.

I am still trying to figure why the puck is so important.  Just a couple things.

Function: Can eliminate static electricity and absorb the vibration that affects the motor, reducing reading wrong information from the CD disc.

High Quality: This high quality CD, DVD stabilizer is ideal for minimizing disc vibration and resonance during playback.

Improve the Sound Quality: The overall sound becomes warmer and the bass range gains more power and extension.

Reduce Noise: A basic and defining upgrade for the demanding audiophile. Improves sound quality and reduces noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Zopsc-1-Stabilizer-Suitable-Loading-Players/dp/B09LD9CF2G?th=1

A heavy CD stabilizer provides bigger inertia of turntable and achieves a stable and smooth rotation of discs.  I tested the differences between the two stabilizers, and I found subtle differences—the TL-2N added some weight to the lower frequencies, and the focus on the entire presentation was a bit sharper. Not a huge difference, I thought at first, but over time I stopped using the smaller stabilizer completely. The more I think about it, the more I realize that my subconscious was exerting its opinion on the matter.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2022/06/11/cec-da5-dac-and-tl-5-transport-review/

My QStab is lighter and smaller than the original and that is why I am curious what its role is.  The above says heavier is better.  I suppose on his machine that might be true but perhaps not on others?

• Like 1

as muon said belt drive = heavy.  no stress issues,  I've never personally had to replace a motor in a cec transport,  and they are sitting outboard of the spindle so very easy to replace if ever needed. Most other machines have the cd sitting on top of the motor,  I have not seen a really heavy weight used in this situation and if you think about it a heavy weight could be detrimental to the velocity changes on a 'direct drive'. In the cec the belt apoears to act like a damper,  a brake,  or slipper clutch,  it's quite interesting to watch one during playback.

• Thanks 1