Jump to content

Luxman Integrated Recomendations


Recommended Posts

Hoping I could get some advice on which Luxman integrated amplifier to move to next.

 

I currently have a 505x and the Lab series 5L15 which I do like for each of their signatures.

 

Ideally looking for something more modern that can take two pairs of speakers along with two TT’s.

 

I have a few speakers to work with and realise that I possibly should be getting the speakers first, but the majority of mine are vintage and the closest (potential) synergy is a pair of Spendor SP 2/2’s.

 

So far the recommendation is the 505uxii.

 

I will look at speakers later down the track as well and hence open to suggestions with these too.

 

Budget is $3/$4 k AUD.

 

Thanking you in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites



29 minutes ago, Special K said:

the recommendation is the 505uxii

 

that's above your budget unless you're looking at second hand items.

Afaik it can only connect one turntable physically (mm and mc phono stage though) a n d seems very difficult to source at this point (ClassA audio shows as in stock at 6,999 --but many retail websites are not up to date, Clefhifi no longer stocks it, neither does vinylrevival)

Clefhifi has an ex-display class a luxman on sale for 7,199...worth listening to at least to see if you still like its sound signature?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Steff said:

 

that's above your budget unless you're looking at second hand items.

Afaik it can only connect one turntable physically (mm and mc phono stage though) a n d seems very difficult to source at this point (ClassA audio shows as in stock at 6,999 --but many retail websites are not up to date, Clefhifi no longer stocks it, neither does vinylrevival)

Clefhifi has an ex-display class a luxman on sale for 7,199...worth listening to at least to see if you still like its sound signature?

Ah yes!  Definitely second hand.  I just can not justify buying new.  

 

It does seem like it is mostly the high end ones that come with the ability to connect two TT’s.  Small price to pay overall.  
 

Good call on listening to one prior.  
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree, I have the Luxman L550 AXII which is 20watts of pure class A at 8 ohm. Easily drives my speakers.

 

Absolutely fantastic amp, I am a big fan of Class A sound. I auditioned many amps and this one was just a cut above the others. 

 

Unfortunately, not many of these coming up second hand. Luxman has also stopped making these.

 

DG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



I know they have stopped making the  L-590AXII and 550AXII.


According to a Luxman retailer here in Perth, they are also no longer planning on making any class A amps going forward, but I am not sure whether this has been corroborated by Luxman.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excuse my ignorance in advance please. 
 

The below is off the WWW and seems to summarise the differences in class. 
 

Class A design is the least efficient but has the highest sound fidelity. Class B design is a little more efficient, but full of distortion. Class AB design offers power efficiency and good sound. Class D design has the highest efficiency and smallest footprint.

 

 

Hence safe to say then that Class A has the best offerings in regards to SQ?

 

If so,  keen to hear thoughts on why Luxman would not continue on this path?


Would this be the appeal to the L550 AXII then?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



9 minutes ago, Special K said:

If so,  keen to hear thoughts on why Luxman would not continue on this path?

 

Parts availability

Cost

Efficiency

Market

 

You could literally fry an egg on a 20W Class A amplifier - want more power? Don't own pets or small children!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

 

Parts availability

Cost

Efficiency

Market

 

You could literally fry an egg on a 20W Class A amplifier - want more power? Don't own pets or small children!

 

Got it!

 

My kids are old enough now… pets… It will be away from her.  
 

And yes, power is needed if not essential. 
 

Seems like we have a contender for the amp now…

Edited by Special K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Hydrology said:

You could literally fry an egg on a 20W Class A amplifie

 

Not on my Luxman L550.

It gets only moderately warm and stays there even after several hours use, but certainly many Class A designs become very hot. The all time classic for this was the Musical Fidelity A1.

During my time in the audio industry I watched a few demonstrations of the owner of a certain( no name mentioned ) business, making several toasted sandwiches on a demo model.

That was true heat indeed.🙃

 

As for more power I have never had any speakers in my home that the Luxman could not drive to their full potential, although I know there are some that may give it pause.

 

The thought of Luxman not making any more Class A amplifiers is very sad indeed, although it was probably inevitable in the new reality of energy efficiency.

It just makes me treasure mine that much more and I think it will out live me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To increase your amp choices also consider ones without onboard phono and use an external phono device. Some other choices like Yamaha AS 3000, 3200 and 2100, Copland, Musical Fidelity, Accuphase and various pre and power amp combinations etc.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, Al.M said:

To increase your amp choices also consider ones without onboard phono and use an external phono device. Some other choices like Yamaha AS 3000, 3200 and 2100, Copland, Musical Fidelity, Accuphase and various pre and power amp combinations etc.

Thanks for the suggestion Al.  I’m trying super hard to stay away from separates. There are some good suggestions there…. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Special K said:

Keen to see if anyone has a class A up for sale. Seems like the L550 AXII is up there with ticking all the boxes. 

Same but different, but have you considered a Sugden A21 SE or A21? Class A

 

Only downside that like Luxman, they rarely come up second hand...... which tells you something.

 

Good luck 🙏

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mendes said:

Same but different, but have you considered a Sugden A21 SE or A21? Class A

 

Only downside that like Luxman, they rarely come up second hand...... which tells you something.

 

Good luck 🙏

 

 

Fingers crossed someone lets them go… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/10/2023 at 7:25 PM, Special K said:

Class A design is the least efficient but has the highest sound fidelity. Class B design is a little more efficient, but full of distortion. Class AB design offers power efficiency and good sound. Class D design has the highest efficiency and smallest footprint.

 

Hence, safe to say that Class A has the best SQ?

 

Hah - yes, I'd agree with that summary, Keith.

 

After summer has ended ... you might like to come over and have a listen to my system - driven by:

  • my #1 amps: 40w-into-4-ohms Class A.  (Designed by Hugh Dean - a diyAudio circuit.)  Unfortunately, these 2 amps in total pump about half a kilowatt of heat into the room - so have to be my 'winter' amps.
  • my #2 amps: 120w-into-4-ohms Class AB.  (Hugh's "NAKSA 80" amp.)  This is what I have to use in summer.

 

Comparing the two - with the same 4 ohms spkrs - it is easy to hear that the Class A power sounds so much better.  :shocked:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, andyr said:

 

Hah - yes, I'd agree with that summary, Keith.

 

After summer has ended ... you might like to come over and have a listen to my system - driven by:

  • my #1 amps: 40w-into-4-ohms Class A.  (Designed by Hugh Dean - a diyAudio circuit.)  Unfortunately, these 2 amps in total pump about half a kilowatt of heat into the room - so have to be my 'winter' amps.
  • my #2 amps: 120w-into-4-ohms Class AB.  (Hugh's "NAKSA 80" amp.)  This is what I have to use in summer.

 

Comparing the two - with the same 4 ohms spkrs - it is easy to hear that the Class A power sounds so much better.  :shocked:

 

Thanks Andy. Hard to refuse an invite to listen to your gear.  
 

I think the last time I was there  It was the the Naksa amps that were out.  🤷🏾‍♂️

 

Either way it is a killer chain of gear you have!

 

As I dive deeper into this it is seeming more likely I will hold off for a class A Luxman. 
 

Let’s call it end game just to be able to justify this, while my ears are still half decent and I can enjoy it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



5 minutes ago, Special K said:

Thanks Andy. Hard to refuse an invite to listen to your gear.  
 

I think the last time I was there, it was the Naksa amps that were out.  🤷🏾‍♂️

 

I'll pencil in, say, sometime in April.  👍

 

5 minutes ago, Special K said:

As I dive deeper into this it is seeming more likely I will hold off for a class A Luxman. 

 

That would be a great solution ... the only problem being ... finding one!  :shocked:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

I'll pencil in, say, sometime in April.  👍

 

 

That would be a great solution ... the only problem being ... finding one!  :shocked:

 

April sounds about right!  Look forward to it!

 

I came close to a 507UX (Class A/B) however seller fell through. 
 

Just hoping someone takes pity on me now and wants to let go of one 😅.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, Hydrology said:

 

You could literally fry an egg on a 20W Class A amplifier

 

Respectfully disagree, unless we are talking about the new Musical Fidelity A1,which is can do excellent grilled cheese sandwiches.

My Luxman 550 gets moderately warm but never to the point where it you could not rest your hand on it.

Admittedly, it sits upon the top my rack, next to my TT so there are no problems with ventilation.

 

I truly lament the passing of Class A Luxman amplifiers and (if it were even possible) makes me love mine all the more

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still see both the 550 and 590 models on their website.  Also a 95th anniversary model, the L-595ASE.

 

Maybe they are waiting until after their 95th Birthday celebrations are over to update other models.  I hope so, it would be a pity if they discontinued their line of such beautiful amps. (even though I'm very much in the class A/B camp, I would still consider such a thing a tragedy)

Edited by Cafad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mendes said:

Same but different, but have you considered a Sugden A21 SE or A21? Class A

 

Only downside that like Luxman, they rarely come up second hand...... which tells you something.

 

Good luck 🙏

 

 

+1 for the Sugden. Interestingly the bigger Sugden is a bit more on the neutral side. They rarely come up second hand but they are cheaper than the Luxman. 
 

Mine does get hot but nowhere near enough to fry anything. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...
To Top