Before there was Stereonet…….

Stereonet is a great site to hang out on, particularly good that it’s in Oz.

Before this there was , and is Audio Asylum. When I joined here i recognised some monikers, like Hergest,. Before that with , was it yahoo groups? There was a vinyl group which was lots of fun. There was theAdelaide medic whose hobby was spectacular electric explosions or similar, the Italian medico, with the huge direct drive collection. Lots of SP 10 users ,

were you in any of these or similar 

Edited by Peterbean

Before Stereonet, there was Planet Audio. SNA is the successor (Planet Audio also founded by Marc). And even before that, it was USENet groups, like aus.hi-fi. I remember @Zaphod Beeblebrox from there, pretty hard to forget someone who is pushing ME all the time! I remember Audio Asylum, it was a true asylum, full of certifiably mad people. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Analogue Addicts.

It was a fabulous group for vinylisters in a faraway time, my last chat was in 2003, with one Nestor naviade, an SP10 wiz on the site. Fellow Canberran Tim Bailey was there- he had written quite a bit for the analogue department web site 

I used to frequent Audiokarma over in the US before starting on here...... Then I'd post both places for a short while before I simply stopped using Audiokarma. SNA for me seems to have more knowledgeable members...... Likewise other Aussies better understand the local audio situation.... Particularly with a smaller amount of vintage gear that is worth looking at. The US market is humongous in comparison so very different.

• Like 1

In fact Matty, I just read your MicroZOTL MZ2 posts on Audiokarma and with the result that I’ve just purchased a 2nd hand one with LPS from eBay US. The eBay global shipping and associated charges are hard to stomach, however it’s still a saving on new.

Edited by lenticularis
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lenticularis said:

In fact Matty, I just read your MicroZOTL MZ2 posts on Audiokarma and with the result that I’ve just purchased a 2nd hand one with LPS from eBay US. The eBay global shipping and associated charges are hard to stomach, however it’s still a saving on new.

Haha, that'd be going back a bit.... I will still answer to Marty, but Matty is short for Matthew  😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenticularis said:

Ha! I wonder if it was mine?! I just traded it for a MZ3, more out of curiosity for how good could it be. The MZ2 is wonderful, enjoy. 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2023 at 4:35 PM, MattyW said:

Haha, that'd be going back a bit.... I will still answer to Marty, but Matty is short for Matthew  😛

@MattyW Doh! You saw it just before I corrected that!

@Godot

On 18/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, Godot said:

Ha! I wonder if it was mine?! I just traded it for a MZ3, more out of curiosity for how good could it be. The MZ2 is wonderful, enjoy. 

No, bought from the USA, with silly associated overheads. Thanks for plugging the MZ2 ... I bought the MZ2S... sufficiently similar I hope.

Edit: Actually, I don’t know if it’s an MZ2 or 2S (is the latter even a thing?)

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ive been really enjoying my Microzotl MZ2

since aquiring one recently.  Pared with a Nelson Pass   power amp. its really done nice work to the tope end of the pass amp which had been a bit harsh before (and not "tube like") with a solid  state pre.

• Like 2

At that moment they heard from behind them a loud noise—a great cracking, deafening noise as if a giant had broken a giant's plate.... The turntable was broken into two pieces by a great crack that ran down it from end to end; and there was no @Marc.

"Who's done it?" cried @Keith_W . "What does it mean? Is it more magic?"

"Yes!" said a great voice from behind their backs. "It is more magic." They looked round. There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane of hair  (for it had apparently grown again) stood Marc himself.

"Oh, Marc!" cried both the mods, staring up at him, almost as much frightened as they were glad.

"But what does it all mean?" asked Keithw when they were somewhat calmer.

"It means," said Marc  "that though the dritz knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still which he did not know. His knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if he could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, he would have read there a different incantation. He would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the turn Table would crack and Death itself would start working backward."

a little nod to cs Lewis 

Edited by Andythiing
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lenticularis said:

@MattyW Doh! You saw it just before I corrected that!

@Godot

No, bought from the USA, with silly associated overheads. Thanks for plugging the MZ2 ... I bought the MZ2S... sufficiently similar I hope.

Always fun to correct someone before they fix their error. I’m usually on the receiving end of that though. ;)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Andythiing said:

At that moment they heard from behind them a loud noise—a great cracking, deafening noise as if a giant had broken a giant's plate.... The turntable was broken into two pieces by a great crack that ran down it from end to end; and there was no @Marc.

"Yes!" said a great voice from behind their backs. "It is more magic." They looked round. There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane of hair  (for it had apparently grown again) stood Marc himself.

"Oh, Marc!" cried both the mods, staring up at him, almost as much frightened as they were glad.

"It means," said Marc  "that though the dritz knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still which he did not know. His knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if he could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, he would have read there a different incantation. He would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the turn Table would crack and Death itself would start working backward."

a little nod to cs Lewis 

you’re either on too much or too little medication! 🙈😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Andythiing said:

a little nod to cs Lewis 

I dunno what you’re on, but I want some!  😛

• Haha 1