Help from Plex + Nvidia Shield guru?

Hello,

I am using Plex on a Shield Pro in my main room and a Shield Tube style in my bedroom.  My Plex server sits on my old home PC where my movies are stored.

The Pro runs flawlessly on my good equipment but the Tube in my bedroom hangs off an old 1080 Pioneer Plasma.  

The issue I am having is most movies, mainly 4K, are buffering every 15 seconds or so.  If I enable "hardware acceleration" in the transcoder menu I get an error message that my server isn't capable.

All connections done via Cat6.

Can anyone advise if there is any further methods I can try to stop the buffering on movies, I'm assuming it's due to the step down transcoding required for the Pioneer.

I understanding purchasing new equipment would be a solution but thats not the stage I am at yet for its infrequent use.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Could try dropping the Quality back a bit under the Playback Settings if you haven't already.

If your watching a majority of the same stuff - Tv series ect, then you could try the optimize option on that content in plex (on the server end) to see if it plays better.

Also worth getting the plex Dash app if you don't have it as it helps with troubleshooting.

You can see some analytics of the stream.

Usually with plex - your best sourcing hardware that works with it, rather than the latter.

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware if you only have the free version of plex the transcoding is limited.

There is a free trial of the premium version you could try that and see if it fixes things.

Otherwise there are options other than plex such as Jellyfin that you could try

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jonooo said:

As far as I'm aware if you only have the free version of plex the transcoding is limited.

There is a free trial of the premium version you could try that and see if it fixes things.

Otherwise there are options other than plex such as Jellyfin that you could try

I have Plex Premium.