Jump to content

Celestion Ditton 33s - valve amplifier impedance setting


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

First time posting in the forums, so very much appreciate any feedback. 
 

I have a pair of Celestion Ditton 33s running out of a Cayin CS 55A integrated valve amplifier. The Celestion are marked with an impedance of 4-8ohms. Should I be using the 4 or 8 ohm output from my amplifier? 
 

I have been using the 8 ohm output. If I should have been using the 4 ohm output, am a I likely to have done any damage to the speakers or amp?
 

Thanks in advance,

 

Sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites



25 minutes ago, amillionwindows said:

Hi all,

 

First time posting in the forums, so very much appreciate any feedback. 
 

I have a pair of Celestion Ditton 33s running out of a Cayin CS 55A integrated valve amplifier. The Celestion are marked with an impedance of 4-8ohms. Should I be using the 4 or 8 ohm output from my amplifier? 
 

I have been using the 8 ohm output. If I should have been using the 4 ohm output, am a I likely to have done any damage to the speakers or amp?
 

Thanks in advance,

 

Sam

No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, amillionwindows said:

Hi all,

 

First time posting in the forums, so very much appreciate any feedback. 
 

I have a pair of Celestion Ditton 33s running out of a Cayin CS 55A integrated valve amplifier. The Celestion are marked with an impedance of 4-8ohms. Should I be using the 4 or 8 ohm output from my amplifier? 
 

I have been using the 8 ohm output. If I should have been using the 4 ohm output, am a I likely to have done any damage to the speakers or amp?
 

Thanks in advance,

 

Sam

 

Damage - no, Sam!  :smile:

 

But just try the 4 ohm output - just to see what it sounds like.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Damage - no, Sam!  :smile:

 

But just try the 4 ohm output - just to see what it sounds like.

 

Thanks andyr. So would the 4 ohm output be the advisable choice because the speakers are likely to dip towards 4 ohms (possibly lower) at certain frequencies? Do I realistically have a choice between the 4 and 8ohm depending on which one sounds better?
 

I have tried to do some research on this and can’t find any definitive answer on the Celestion 33s impedance. They are often listed as 8ohms even though they say 4-8ohms. 


Thanks again,

 

Sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, amillionwindows said:

Thanks andyr. So would the 4 ohm output be the advisable choice because the speakers are likely to dip towards 4 ohms (possibly lower) at certain frequencies?

 

IMO - yes!

 

3 minutes ago, amillionwindows said:

Do I realistically have a choice between the 4 and 8 ohm, depending on which one sounds better?

 

Absolutely!

 

Good luck - please let us know which one does sound better.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Hi Sam,

 

Using 4 ohm output from the amplifier is safer than using the 8 ohm. 

 

You don't want speaker impedance to be too low, relative to what the amplifier is rated for. It can draw excessive current and that can cause the amplifier to overheat or get damaged.

 

Let us know how it goes!

Edited by mikescraigslist
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mikescraigslist said:

Hi Sam,

 

Using 4 ohm output from the amplifier is safer than using the 8 ohm. 

 

You don't want speaker impedance to be too low, relative to what the amplifier is rated for. It can draw excessive current and that can cause the amplifier to overheat or get damaged.

 

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks, mikescraiglist. Will give it a go tonight and report back. Interesting to see whether there is a change in sound quality. I have been pretty happy so far!

 

Cheers, Sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Have been playing lots of vinyl with the amp swapped to the 4ohm outputs and the Celestion 33s are sounding even better. More open, airy and bigger soundstage. Everything sounds more integrated. Bass possibly not as precise, but still coming through loud and pretty punchy. REL sub still complementing the speakers well. If anything the speakers sound more fun even though I was very happy with them. They are really rocking now! Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Sam,

 

Where do you cross over to the REL sub? And is yours the Mk 1 or Mk 2? Mk 2 has all 3 drivers vertically aligned down the middle.

 

I also have a pair of 33s and is contemplating adding a sub. 

 

Have you tried it with solid state amps by the way? Any thoughts?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...
To Top