Streamer with ripper and storage

The Innuos ZEN MINI S has SSD and built-in ripper for just a hair's whisker over 3K.

If you didn't need built in CD ripping, this opens you up to more options. The Eversolo seems to getting rave reviews as price v performance product (you have to buy your own SSD) and perhaps someone else more qualified with the product csn confirm if you can plug in a CD drive for ripping, or not.

The Cocktail Audio X35 is another great unit, let down a little (in my opinion) by its software - usable but a little clunky.

https://tivolihifi.com.au/collections/cocktail-audio/products/cocktail-audio-x35-cd-ripper-music-server-streamer-2tb-hdd

• Like 1

Aria Piccolo +. 3tb of storage, optical drive for ripping your cd's, plays most of the file formats you'll come across, sets up zones on your home network and does a few other things as well.

Here's a review>>>  Aria streamer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mickeydamouse said:

Thank you for your comment I have a lot of cds and want to store them somewhere 

Iam an older guy but have loved music and hifi for decades

Mick I’m an older guy and love my music, I bought the Eversolo, I haven’t ripped from it but it does everything else and in my opinion it’s the best around at its price and beyond, a cracking unit. I bought 2tbnssd for files adding it internally was easy, It integrated well into my system and even as a Roon endpoint reads the Roon ssd at the other end of the house all through cables so no issues.

I’m  very happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2023 at 6:46 PM, Mickeydamouse said:

Thank you for your comment I have a lot of cds and want to store them somewhere 

Iam an older guy but have loved music and hifi for decades

Hi @Mickeydamouse maybe you've already moved on this but if not I make a vote for Innuos ... high five to @Hydrology. I am an older guy too and while I consider myself 'tech-savvy' (or used too) when I went down the server / streamer path a couple of years ago simplicity of integration into my system AND the user interface were very important. I am now on my second (upgraded to a unit higher up the chain) Innuos server / streamer and they are brilliant - I have spent plenty of time listening to other devices some MUCH more expensive and remain an Innuos advocate. As the Innuos operating system innuOS has its own user interface SENSE app you don't need to run third party software such as Roon, although you can if you choose to.

On my first Innuos Zen MK3 I ripped my CD collection (about 500 CD's) really easily ... the count is now just over 1000 with downloaded files and Qobuz library. That is 16% of the 2TB SSD so lots of room to grow. When I upgraded to a Innuos Zenith MK3 i just plugged the back up into the new unit and bingo my whole library was available as it was previously.

It's also worth considering a second hand full size Innuos vs a new Mini ... if you are confident with second hand.

Good luck 😀

On 8/8/2023 at 4:32 PM, Hydrology said:

The Innuos ZEN MINI S has SSD and built-in ripper for just a hair's whisker over 3K.

If you didn't need built in CD ripping, this opens you up to more options. The Eversolo seems to getting rave reviews as price v performance product (you have to buy your own SSD) and perhaps someone else more qualified with the product csn confirm if you can plug in a CD drive for ripping, or not.

The Cocktail Audio X35 is another great unit, let down a little (in my opinion) by its software - usable but a little clunky.

https://tivolihifi.com.au/collections/cocktail-audio/products/cocktail-audio-x35-cd-ripper-music-server-streamer-2tb-hdd

Yes the eversolo allows you to connect a usb cddribe to rip cds.

13 hours ago, Kirby66 said:

It's also worth considering a second hand full size Innuos vs a new Mini ... if you are confident with second hand.

Note that the current operating InnuOS 2.6 runs on the older Mk2 platform. Roon has additional functionality, but for me it's not worth the extra cost.

• Volunteer

I used to have the Bluesound Vault 2i, reading the last few posts tells me the world has moved on somewhat though. I ripped all my CDs and don't have the need now, so I sold the Vault and moved up the value chain on streaming.

I had no idea that the new Eversolo kid had ripping capability? That does look good at the price point though.

• Like 1

This is a ever changing market now with new manifacuters bringing new machines on the market all the time . with it comes newer technology  and better sound quality , the lower priced machines now are so much better and cheaper than 2 years ago , if you are not chasing the best in sound to suit your HiFi the lower end to mid range price will suit most music lovers . Upgrading from the mid range price points every 3 years is more wallet friendly than from the top range . Invest in a very good Dac and a mid price point Server , a good dac will always last and when changing to a newer server it will sound better again with the newer technology in the server .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2023 at 4:23 PM, Mickeydamouse said:

Hi I’am looking for a quality streamer with SSD internal storage and built in ripper for $3 k

any thoughts

Not sure if you looked at the Cocktail Audio range? I had an X45 which was a great performer, people that own a Cocktail seen to rate them.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody had experience with the Eversolo DMP-A6?  I was looking at the Bluesound Vault (to rip my CD collection), but it's old tech at $2400 - poor value now methinks.  Then I was looking at their N130.  Main reason for Bluesound was ease of use (for whole family).  Want something that you simply get on your iphone, itablet, iwhatever, send a track to the unit, and it comes out the stereo.  Also want to be able to easily rip CD collection (about 500).  I've tried other ripping software, but too much effort.  If I can plug in an external CD drive (which I have), follow prompts, and that's it, then I'm more likely to bother!

Mat

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I was looking at the Bluesound Vault (to rip my CD collection), but it's old tech at $2400 - poor value now methinks.  

Why is it old tech when ripping technology has not changed?  And BluOS is regularly updated.

It is a proven performer and difficult to beat in ease of use...

• Like 2

Yeah I suppose, however the prices have actually gone up in recent months, and new kids on the block are getting cheaper.  I agree - my main attraction to Bluesound is their ease-of-use, as this is highest priority (over sound quality) to ensure the family actually uses it.  Having said that, from what I've read, it looks like the Eversolo stuff is pretty good in that department....

18 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Also want to be able to easily rip CD collection (about 500). 

Overseeing the ripping process is also quite an investment of time. E.g. ten minutes per disc (optimistic estimate) equals 80+ hours. A Tidal or Qobuz (or Spotted-fi) subscription might end being cheaper and/or a better life-time saver?

Depending on how concerned you are with streamer SQ discussions, a wiim pro plus goes for under $300, a bluesound node second hand for around $600, Lumins etc go into the high thousands.

1 minute ago, Steff said:

Overseeing the ripping process is also quite an investment of time. E.g. ten minutes per disc (optimistic estimate) equals 80+ hours. A Tidal or Qobuz (or Spotted-fi) subscription might end being cheaper and/or a better life-time saver?

Depending on how concerned you are with streamer SQ discussions, a wiim pro plus goes for under $300, a bluesound node second hand for around $600, Lumins etc go into the high thousands.

Yeah that's the thing.  We already have a Spotify subscription which gets heaps of use.  I do note, however, that many of our CD's are not easily found on streaming services.  I've played with Tidal too, which sounded great on my "big rig" with a borrowed streamer, however I listen mostly to vinyl on that system, and the other lounge is mostly steaming and (independent) radio.  

The Eversolo caught my eye as it manages ripping (via an externally attached CD drive, which I have), and sounds like it has a good (=easy) interface.  The Bluesound Vault 2i would be the easiest option, but at $2k I don't think it represents value in comparison to $600 for a use N130 or 2i.  An external CD drive is $20 or less, so I don't know how they manage to add a $1k+ premium for ripping capabilities.  The Vaults are also uncommon used....

So yes.  It was always gonna be a used N130 or 2i.  Now I'm kinda wondering if an (ideally used) Eversolo DMP-A6 should be thrown in as a candidate?

28 minutes ago, Steff said:

Overseeing the ripping process is also quite an investment of time. E.g. ten minutes per disc (optimistic estimate) equals 80+ hours.

Not sure what software you were using but dBPoweramp with a decent drive will take an average of less than 3 minutes.

19 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

The Bluesound Vault 2i would be the easiest option, but at $2k I don't think it represents value in comparison to $600 for a use N130 or 2i.  An external CD drive is $20 or less, so I don't know how they manage to add a $1k+ premium for ripping capabilities.  The Vaults are also uncommon used....

I suspect you are talking yourself into the over hyped Eversolo A6 and finding everything and anything wrong with the Vault.  You have under estimated the value of a simple, yet powerful one box solution, which includes quiet 2 TB storage.

If you want to have a multi box solution, then consider the Node and use dBPoweramp on a computer. This combination will be cheaper. Please get a decent external drive, not any cheap one.

dBPoweramp may be better but note that no ripping software is 100% perfect.  Suggest using Mp3tag to clean up any errors.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

dBPoweramp with a decent drive will take an average of less than 3 minutes.

That's great - is it fair to say that this is a best-case outcome (tag clean up & file management notwithstanding)?

It would be good to hear from Eversolo users re: the-insert-disc-to-rip-to-listen-to-files duration

(in my own ripping/encoding history I always used EAC & flac encoder...at 1:1 rip to playback speed...that was a very painstaking process...my ten minute estimate was a rough guess of a. insert b. set up rip in device c. wait for album recognition d. rip e. check tags f. eject disc g. stow away disc h. organise files in desired folder/directory;

Way back in the early 2000s when I tried dbpoweramp in fast ripping mode it failed proper ripping on at least half my discs)

Edited by Steff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steff said:

That's great - is it fair to say that this is a best-case outcome (tag clean up & file management notwithstanding)?

(in my own ripping/encoding history I always used EAC & flac encoder...at 1:1 rip to playback speed...that was a very painstaking process...

We are taking this thread OT, so making it short. Was a long time EAC user who recently switched over to dBpoweramp. Everything was far easier and faster, could do 20 to 25 disks per hour, even allowing for the odd disk that required intervention.